Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 06:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It has unquestionably become much better. Things are not perfect, and I don't doubt that there are still places where discrimination occurs, but in general members of every race are entitled to go into any business in the country and transact business there; they can buy or rent housing on every street in every neighborhood in the country; they can obtain employment with every employer in the country.

It is shocking that there are still people in 2010 who do not think this is a good thing. It proves beyond the shadow of a doubt the need for these laws.
OK. And has it really brought people together or are they just grudgingly accepting the legal status quo? From some threads on this board I get the impression that many Americans still don't like and welcome each other, simply based on ethnic background.

I guess integration should start when people are still children. That is the age when the innate tendencies to prefer one's own ethnicity over others first show and when it is easiest to teach those kids via interaction that there is no basis and justification for it anymore. Once people are adults it is much harder to change their views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
actually, what is the issue, and what's important to me, and many others, including those of all races, sexual preferance, and religions, is that there's no room for racial discrimination in any publicly owned institution...be it local post office, library, or government office.

so, i 100% agree with you there...

but, it's obvious, there are posters here that want to believe that Rand Paul is a racist, when he openly admitted that he's 100% against any form of discrimination, and he himself would not be associated with any club or business that practices discrimination...
"openly admitted," lol! Are you that blind, and deaf?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
OK. And has it really brought people together
Are you serious? Of course it has!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You don't seem to understand the difference between just agreeing with an idea, and agreeing with an idea and wanting to enforce that idea at gunpoint.

I think most Americans agree with the vision of not discriminating. No one likes to be discriminated against. But is discrimination necessarily a bad thing? Companies discriminate on far more things than just sexual preferences and ethnicity. Some things you can control other things you cannot. Employers discriminate based on your height, your weight, your physical stature, your sex, your age(both against the young and old), your education, your spelling, the way you dress, the way you act.

What you people want to do is arbitrarily pick out certain items that employers should be allowed to discriminate against, but not others. No one cares if employers don't want to hire someone who is very young. Even if that person meets all of the qualifications. There aren't lawsuits being brought up because someone who was young didn't get a job. Why not? Is that not discrimination?

There are many professions dominated by women. Does anyone truly care if a man files discrimination charges against an employer who didn't hire him to become a nurse? Or some other female dominated profession? No one cares.

The truth is, if an employer wants to discriminate based on whatever factors. Let them. If they are discriminating for bad reasons. They are only hurting themselves. If these people being discriminated against were as great as they say, they will have other opportunities. And they would open the minds of anyone too stubborn to accept change.

What you allow yourselves to do is believe that the world is some nefarious place. And the only thing that can protect us all from the evils of the world is more government. You see something unfair and you believe the government should step in and do something about it. Never realizing that the government itself is ran by other humans. And it is corrupt, and power hungry. And the government keeps getting bigger and bigger, and more and more corrupted by all of these special interests who want to force their views of the world on everyone else.

I absolutely love the second half of this video about "rights". You should watch it. I love the part where he says "sounds like human planning, sounds like one group trying to control another group, in other words, business as usual in America".

YouTube - YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS - George Carlin

Anytime the federal government passes a law, its always one group of people trying to contol every other group. The "majority" believe they know whats best for you, and want to force you to conform to their way of thinking.
Sounds like you would much rather live in the past....60, even 100 years ago, when discrimination of all kinds was the norm.....and white males always came out on top.....and children worked 12-14 hours a day...until the GOVERNMENT made laws against it.

"""The truth is, if an employer wants to discriminate based on whatever factors. Let them. If they are discriminating for bad reasons. """

OK, DEFINE "BAD REASONS"....bet YOUR opinion of "bad" is very different from someone else's....so we need laws to say who is right.

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
We already cut privately owned business, particularly large corporate business, too much slack in this country. We have allowed competition to be stifled in large segments of our economy by consolidation of formerly competing companies into single corporate entities. The result is higher prices for electricity, petroleum and food.

We need to realize that big may be good for business but is bad for the economy. I believe in Capitalism but am getting tired of seeing business crush it with their monopolies.

ON topic - We need to prevent private businesses from discriminating against any citizen for non economic reasons like race, color or religion. That leaves plenty of room to discriminate against people without any money.

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Not quite. He was pretty incoherent, but he seemed to be saying that government entities should not be allowed to discriminate, but any private actor should.

Of course, the private actors include anyone who runs any business, anyone who has any property to sell or rent, any non-government entity that employs people. He would permit discrimination by the entire public sector.

The fact that he claims that he doesn't personally agree with discrimination is beside the point.

Huh! Ok well if any of these people/business have EVER received any kind of government funds i.e loans, tax breaks, etc then they should have to follow the CRA. If a business has not and it is solely privately owned with no help from the government ever then as much I don't like it they can serve or hire whom they want.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
OK. And has it really brought people together or are they just grudgingly accepting the legal status quo? From some threads on this board I get the impression that many Americans still don't like and welcome each other, simply based on ethnic background.

I guess integration should start when people are still children. That is the age when the innate tendencies to prefer one's own ethnicity over others first show and when it is easiest to teach those kids via interaction that there is no basis and justification for it anymore. Once people are adults it is much harder to change their views.
1. I really don't care. I think that originally what it brought was both grudging acceptance as well as massive resistance. Over time I am sure that it has meant that people of different races are interacting much more than they were able to in the past.

Either way, what it means is that today, unlike fifty years ago, a black person, or a Jew, or an Asian person, or a Hispanic person, can walk into any business in any town in the country and be served on the same terms as any white person.

Do you really not see the value in that?

2. I agree that integration should start when people are children. Of course, conservatives who oppose civil rights legislation also oppose school desegregation and other means that would work to combat racism.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 AM

"Never realizing that the government itself is ran by other humans. And it is corrupt, and power hungry. And the government keeps getting bigger and bigger, and more and more corrupted by all of these special interests who want to force their views of the world on everyone else."

But you defend that when it happens on small levels as a result of a business decision and "understandings," then local statutes, then becomes encoded into state law.

You defend it when it hurts others, just so long as it doesnt bother you. Same with Rand Paul. Selfish and short sighted. Malignant or just oblivious? Does it matter?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
1. I really don't care. I think that originally what it brought was both grudging acceptance as well as massive resistance. Over time I am sure that it has meant that people of different races are interacting much more than they were able to in the past.

Either way, what it means is that today, unlike fifty years ago, a black person, or a Jew, or an Asian person, or a Hispanic person, can walk into any business in any town in the country and be served on the same terms as any white person.

Do you really not see the value in that?

2. I agree that integration should start when people are children. Of course, conservatives who oppose civil rights legislation also oppose school desegregation and other means that would work to combat racism.
Of course I see the value in that, but since someone asked if those laws will have to be there forever, I was wondering if people would return to how things used to be half a century ago if the laws were removed...
Of course big companies would not do that, but with small local enterprises in certain areas, who knows...

Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Of course I see the value in that, but since someone asked if those laws will have to be there forever, I was wondering if people would return to how things used to be half a century ago if the laws were removed..
Of course they would, that's what these people are arguing in favor of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies