Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,432,657 times

Advertisements

The guy knows what America was founded upon. Freedom of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,067,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, Senator Byrd, Grand Dragon of the KKK... Racist to the bone.
Senator Byrd is left or right wing? I thought so!

You do know, MLK was a staunch Republican. JFK made a deal with MLK, to gain the black vote and only to gain the black voters. You have to ask, why was MLK and his father, both Republicans?

The civil right bill was composed by a majority of Republicans with Democrats apposing it.
For God's sake, you've been told many places in these message boards, if nowhere else, that the Dixiecrats swarmed like the rats they were to the Republican party in 1964 where they were welcomed with open arms and they and their descendants have never left. Read a history book or whatever you have to do to make this fact stick in your mind.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,823,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The issue is seperation of powers and limits on the federal government, not that he supports discrimination.
The left doesn't believe there should be limits on the central government.

37,908 posts, read 21,993,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, so it's a bad thing for small businesses and a good thing for big businesses.

You need to fleshout that argument.
You took my post out of context, I made no argument, I only stated facts - Dennys and the Waffle House are not small businesses. The context of the post you were responding to was referring to small businesses. There seems to be a theme developing, where you take post out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
...Link, to some folklore site?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,239,765 times
Quote:
...as long as it's provided social justice, progressive style.

31,387 posts, read 36,953,982 times
Quote:
IF a business chooses to discriminate in this day and age based upon race it would fail...it does not require the control of the central government to force it to happen.
Out of one side of your mouth you ask what does evidence of large and successful businesses engaging in a pattern of discrimination prove and then out of the other side of your mouth try to argue that such a pattern of discrimination would keep the same successful businesses from succeeding.

Yikes, the tangled web of illogic you can spin.

19,567 posts, read 21,823,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
...Link?
You and other leftists beliefs....it is simply my opinion.

11,754 posts, read 14,596,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
After watching a video of the Maddow interview, I think he did. Paul was trying to make a distinction between public and private businesses. A grocery store or a Woolworth lunch counter are public places, and cannot discriminate. Where as a private club, after all the civil rights bills, can still discriminate over who they admit as their members. Rachel never grasped the nuance between private and public businesses.
What is this "public businesses" thing you keep bleating on about?

He didn't say that businesses open to the public should not be allowed to discriminate, and that the law should prevent them from doing so.

He did spend a lot of time yammering about "institutional racism", although I would bet that he doesn't know what that really means. It was clear from his comments, though, that the distinction he makes is between governmental and non-governmental entities.

He claims that he supports the proposition that governmental bodies should not be allowed to discriminate. Taking him at his word for that, that still leaves the entire private sector that would, in his view of the world, be free to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, and apparently every other characteristic that is now prohibited.

It has nothing to do with small or large businesses or anything else. He just doesn't think the law should stop a private business, whether it's my lemonade stand in my front yard or General Motors, from discriminating.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You took my post out of context, I made no argument, I only stated facts - Dennys and the Waffle House are not small businesses. The context of the post you were responding to was referring to small businesses. There seems to be a theme developing, where you take post out of context.
Okay, what's your opinion of big businesses discriminating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies