Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You could have said that in the first place. But you are aware that some businesses still discriminate, right?

We have businesses that cater to a specific race, and some private clubs and organizations that flat out discriminate against specific races genders, etc....
Then what is Rand Paul babbling about? Looking to blame the institution of government again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Is your argument that opposition to one of the seminal congressional pieces of legislation in the 20th Century that resolved a problem that exacerbated the nation for generations shouldn't be a central topic of discussion?

Frankly, race aside, the issue is clearly central to the Paul family philosophy regarding the role of government and how it should weigh rights. If we extrapolate this philosophy into other ares, worker, and public safety, environmental protection where private businesses should be free to do virtually whatever they like at the expense of the public then I can't think of a better starting point.

PS - if you are that much of an ingenue to politics that you can't keep your mouth closed about what any marginally aware person would realize to be a virtual political landmine, that raises questions as well.
I think you misunderstood my point.

I generally agree with you on the subject, however I have no problem with academic debates concerning rights issues and how they should be handled and adjudicated at the various levels of government.

Discussing it academically is always welcome, as is practically any subject. New or different perspectives can always be discussed and evaluated, but this doesn't mean they should be accepted as appropriate. Rather, it should initiate new and enhanced critical evaluation of the challenges to conventional thinking, which leads to better insights (and maybe some clearer thinking) about future directions.

However, when being a candidate for office, these issues are appropriately viewed in a different light. In this case, I think the issues are problems (and legitimately so) for both Paul's.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Paul's position is that even if businesses were legally able to discriminate, the free market would dictate whether or not that organization would be successful. His position seems to be that most people would not frequent a business that openly discriminates against ____ group of people. Ovcatto was simply providing examples of business that currently engage in discriminatory practices, yet they are still in business and presumably doing well to survive.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
But what happens in a small town, as I pointed out in my first post? how could a minority of one family have an impact on some bigots who would not allow "Indians" in the only grocery store around for miles?

Which makes some of what Paul was saying very confusing. The free market would not be enough to balance out a situation like the one I presented.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This would be....a lie.

Robert Byrd is a Democrat....and was in the KKK...and likes to use the dreaded 'N' word...
Okay.

It was not a lie, but I will give you this.

100% minus one of the southern Democrats who opposed civil rights are now Republicans (or dead).

That remaining one, Robert Byrd, has long since rejected the racist positions of his past, as you well know.

I do think it's very funny that when asked to name a racist, all you conservatives can think of is one single Democrat who was a racist many years ago, and fail to mention any of the racist Republicans of the present and more recent past.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post

Any business that went back to this type of practice would be out of business in about 10 seconds flat.

You must of went to publik school as you obviously never learned how to think critically.
Since you brought up public education, I will point out that "You must of went" demonstrates incorrect spelling and poor grammar. The correct spelling and grammar is "You must have gone".

Feel free to accuse or ridicule me for being the "spelling police". I admit that I have issues with posts that butcher the English language while accusing other posters of having a substandard education.

If you attended private schools, I would encourage you to ask for your money back.

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then what is Rand Paul babbling about? Looking to blame the institution of government again?
I think he was trying to say that private and public businesses have never truly been defined. Which was why he brought up the open carry analogy. You can open carry in a public business, but be banned from a private one. He made it a real tough row to hoe trying to get to what the hell he was on to, and it was all lost on Maddow.

Quote:
But what happens in a small town, as I pointed out in my first post? how could a minority of one family have an impact on some bigots who would not allow "Indians" in the only grocery store around for miles?

Which makes some of what Paul was saying very confusing. The free market would not be enough to balance out a situation like the one I presented.
I don't think Rand Paul would worry at all about those situations. He would say... they are free to move elsewhere (not that they are free to be where they chose to be). Things will sort themselves out.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think you misunderstood my point.
Sorry.

Quote:
I have no problem with academic debates concerning rights issues and how they should be handled and adjudicated at the various levels of government.
Well neither do I but this is a political discussion about a politician running for national office so maybe I'm still missing your point.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I think he was trying to say that private and public businesses have never truly been defined. Which was why he brought up the open carry analogy. You can open carry in a public business, but be banned from a private one. He made it a real tough row to hoe trying to get to what the hell he was on to, and it was all lost on Maddow.
That is a whole different issue. But, what is a public business? (Grocery store, as you alluded to, in an earlier post, isn't one).

Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
Rand regrests going on Rachel's show last night.

Rand Paul On Civil Rights Controversy: I Shouldn't Have Talked To Rachel Maddow [UPDATED]

"It was a poor political decision and probably won't be happening anytime in the near future," the Tea Party endorsed Senate candidate said on the Laura Ingraham show on Thursday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies