Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
How can you boycott a business that will not allow you in the door in the first place?
Now I have to clean my computer screen, and make another cup of coffee.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Whats the matter liberals worried Rand Paul won? :-)
In a free society racism will exisit and those who OWN A BUSINESS and or private property should have a say in who is able to use and or be apart of that property.
If dont like it the guy down the street wont CARE! Apply with him.
Public resources!!!! that be government resources should have open and unrestricted access to all races etc. Private is not funded via taxes.. that is unless it is then it would be a public resource.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM

191 posts, read 143,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
How can you boycott a business that will not allow you in the door in the first place? They already made it very clear, regardless of how much money they want to make, that they don't want your money. So, the argument that you can always boycott or take your money elsewhere has no merit.

That's another issue entirely, though. I thought this topic was purely about the hiring process. In which case I feel that small, privately owned business should be able to hire who they want.

Needs to be a way to separate the small, privately owned business and the larger corporations, though.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I'm glad he's made these comments. It's a good for us to discuss these things, and I hope he doesn't back down.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
actually, what is the issue, and what's important to me, and many others, including those of all races, sexual preferance, and religions, is that there's no room for racial discrimination in any publicly owned institution...be it local post office, library, or government office.

so, i 100% agree with you there...

but, it's obvious, there are posters here that want to believe that Rand Paul is a racist, when he openly admitted that he's 100% against any form of discrimination, and he himself would not be associated with any club or business that practices discrimination...
He is not 100% against discrimination. He believes discrimination should be legal.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You have not done your research very well and it is obvious you have no clue about Democrat history and racism.
He is right, it were those on the right, that doesn't mean they weren't Democrats. It was southern CONSERVATIVE Democrats.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:46 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I just watched it on the late night re-run of the Madcow show.

The guy has talent. Calm cool and collected. I thought Madcow was going to blow a gasket that she couldn't put words in his mouth.

That guy and his dad as Pres and VP!!

What Madcow doesn't understand or does and she doesn't want you to know is, America hates racist. If any business tried that today, what she is saying would happen, the public on its own, would put them out of business, by self control.
If that was Paul's position then why didn't he just say so. She gave him plenty of opportunity to express his views. He refused to state his position clearly and plainly. I would not have agreed with him, but I would have had a lot more respect for him if he had answered the repeated question.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
A privately owned business open to public customers is no longer a private place and should and may not discriminate on the bases of race among other things. It may discriminate on the basis of the ability to pay for the goods or services.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Ok let me be sure I understand this. Paul said that he thinks public businesses should follow the Civil Rights Act but private ones should not have to?
No, Paul was fine with government (public) institutions having to follow the civil rights laws. From his comments we can only conclude that he is opposed to the government requiring any non-governmental (private) entity from following the civil rights laws. On Maddow's show he never clearly stated what his position was.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
OT, but, God, I wish anyplace around here had 10 cent wings.

Pizza Hut has 50 cent wing Wednesdays and imagine they are being generous.

As to the topic, it is absolutely a staple of libertarian thought that private businesses should have the right to discriminate if they so choose. I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by it. Still, if I were a libertarian running for the Senate, I would not pick that exact battle to fight at the present time.
And if Rand Paul had just stated that, as clearly as you just wrote, I think many more topics could have been covered in the interview. Not sure why he decided to play games with the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies