Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The law is not designed to discriminate against white people ( I am white btw). Business's are not allowed to refuse service to someone because they are white, black, etc. Paul wants it to be legal for business's to refuse to serve someone because of what race they are.
No...he believes it is not the federal government's business under the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No answer huh?

The ADA is an incredibly slippery slope...better be careful....
"Then the handicapped people who want to work are SOL" was the answer. Also they've got a case for discrimination.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notobrainwashing View Post
yes they are if a white person doesn't get a job because that position is allocated to minority it does discriminate against white people
I disagree and that is a whole entire different issue all together and has nothing to do with what Paul was arguing.

As far as the topic at hand and what Paul was arguing.. Do you believe a company should be able to discriminate and refuse to serve someone for no other reason other than race or ethnicity? yes or no?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Then the handicapped people who want to work are SOL" was the answer. Also they've got a case for discrimination.
It is discrimination to not have the money for an elevator...interesting.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
It is discrimination to not have the money for an elevator...interesting.
It is discrimination to not offer a level playing field for all hires and applicants.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Do you believe a company should be able to discriminate and refuse to serve someone for no other reason other than race or ethnicity? yes or no?
Yes they should be able to.
But it is morally wrong.

But I am sure you agree you cannot legislate morality.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
You are most likely right...but isn't forcing them to bow to your way of thinking wrong too?

I would not frequent a place that barred people because of color or race or the like,but I do not think it right to force my beliefs on others...

how is it forcing belief?
Say what you want about the economy and what we're going through currently, but one thing this country was "Prides" itself on and the reason we have such a problem with immigrations, is what this country "affords" to you. Opportunity, Equality and Freedom. Those three elements is what the Constitution has evolved into over the last 200+ years. To now go back and say, "oh by the way, I have my own restaurant, I want to be covered by the constitution (Freedom), but I want you to close your eyes to the part i'm about to step on (Equality) because I own my own business".

Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It is discrimination to not have a level playing field for all job applicants.
Not having money to install an elevator make the playing field not level huh?

Interesting.

What of other disabilities?Should they also be catered to no matter the cost?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
how is it forcing belief?
Say what you want about the economy and what we're going through currently, but one thing this country was "Prides" itself on and the reason we have such a problem with immigrations, is what this country "affords" to you. Opportunity, Equality and Freedom. Those three elements is what the Constitution has evolved into over the last 200+ years. To now go back and say, "oh by the way, I have my own restaurant, I want to be covered by the constitution (Freedom), but I want you to close your eyes to the part i'm about to step on (Equality) because I own my own business".
You believe discriminating based upon color is wrong...

Another person may not think so.

You however believe forcing your belief upon another is fine because your belief is...'good'.

Do you believe in forcing morals upon others?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
You believe discriminating based upon color is wrong...

Another person may not think so.

You however believe forcing your belief upon another is fine because your belief is...'good'.

Do you believe in forcing morals upon others?

morals? discrimination is illegal
murder illegal,
slavery illegal
Robbery illegal
hit and run illegal

I don't see how out of all of the parts of the constitution, parts of the 14th amendment is considered forcing moral beliefs on someone. The amendment clearly states "public" accomodation. Even though the restaraunt is owned by a private owner, it is within a public domain and as such discrimination is illegal. If he was to run a restaraunt in his own home, well thats a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies