Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,290,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'd gladly become vegetarian if veggies actually tasted good.
Sounds like you need to learn how to cook!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,881,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Sounds like you need to learn how to cook!
Not just myself, but everyone else too. Seriously, even fancy restaurant veggie dishes don't taste good. To me anyway.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,573,714 times
Quote:
Not just myself, but everyone else too. Seriously, even fancy restaurant veggie dishes don't taste good. To me anyway.
Sounds more like a mental issue than a culinary one
I grew up on a normal mixed diet before I became a vegan at 18. We used to eat BBQ stuff and just like most vegetarians - except for veggie-fascists such as radical Peta members - I have no problem at all saying that I liked it. I stopped eating that food because of moral reasons, not because I all of a sudden thought it did not taste good anymore.
Saying there are no delicious meat dishes on my part would be just as ridiculous as saying there are no delicious vegetarian dishes on meat-eaters' part.

Last edited by Neuling; 05-23-2010 at 05:11 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 05:14 AM

5 posts, read 7,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I rarely eat meat for many reasons, but, I find that it is really odd that many people will sort of attack vegetarians verbally and rudely. It seems to happen if somebody has made the commitment to eat in a healthy way or in respect and kindness to animals. Does anybody have any insight to this as I'm pondering this subject a lot and I'm not coming up with many answers I find it wonderful when somebody respect themselves like this
There will always be a few fundamentalist out there that like to cause trouble.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,881,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sounds more like a mental issue than a culinary one
I grew up on a normal mixed diet before I became a vegan at 18. We used to eat BBQ stuff and just like most vegetarians - except for veggie-fascists such as radical Peta members - I have no problem at all saying that I liked it. I stopped eating that food because of moral reasons, not because I all of a sudden thought it did not taste good anymore.
Saying there are no delicious meat dishes on my part would be just as ridiculous as saying there are no delicious vegetarian dishes on meat-eaters' part.
Of course it's mental. Taste is all in the mind, and is a personal matter that isn't chosen. That's the point I was making. This is why it drives me nuts when vegans et al want everyone to convert to their ways. Not everyone has the same taste preferences they do. One size does not fit all, which is why trying to convert everyone to a set way of eating is futile. Stating that one doesn't like certain types of food is in no way ridiculous as it is a personal thing, and is different for every individual.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,573,714 times
Quote:
Of course it's mental. Taste is all in the mind, and is a personal matter that isn't chosen. That's the point I was making. This is why it drives me nuts when vegans et al want everyone to convert to their ways. Not everyone has the same taste preferences they do. One size does not fit all, which is why trying to convert everyone to a set way of eating is futile. Stating that one doesn't like certain types of food is in no way ridiculous as it is a personal thing, and is different for every individual.
In my opinion you are either not telling the truth or have hardly tried any of those thousands of vegetarian dishes out there. That was my point when I said I don't believe either side when they say they like any dish of the other side.

Let's look at it this way: If you say you don't like any vegetarian dish, it makes me wonder if your diet consists of 100% animal stuff. If not, why do you eat the potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. that come with your, say, steak? Are you forced at gunpoint? Potatoes are potatoes, good potatoes don't taste worse just because there is no steak on the same plate.

Apart from that, taste is not fixed, it can be changed, though it gets more difficult the older one is. Taste is not genetic, it is largely acquired during childhood. That's why you find so much candy near the check-out in supermarkets

Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 AM

737 posts, read 1,643,305 times
Quote:
I rarely eat meat for many reasons, but, I find that it is really odd that many people will sort of attack vegetarians verbally and rudely. It seems to happen if somebody has made the commitment to eat in a healthy way or in respect and kindness to animals. Does anybody have any insight to this as I'm pondering this subject a lot and I'm not coming up with many answers I find it wonderful when somebody respect themselves like this

I don't attack vegetarians myself however if I see someone has made a comment I know to not be the truth and I know other wise I will make my own comment back.

If someone choices to be a Vegetarian that is their choice I have no problem with it. But if I choice to eat meat that is my choice is it not.

If I happen to get information as some vegetarians have said they have got and that change their eating habits let it be with honesty and in a non violent manner.

I seriously doubt I will ever give up meat. I"m a lost cause on this subject. Or perhaps I'm a winner on this subject depends on how you look at it.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,494,987 times
It's a common human trait to attack those that do not validate one's choices, and befriend those that do. Don't concern yourself with what others do, I am quite certain that if you keep your focus on your own habits and choices you will have plenty to concern yourself with for the duration of your time here.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 AM

180 posts, read 202,096 times
Quote:
It seems to happen if somebody has made the commitment to eat in a healthy way or in respect and kindness to animals. Does anybody have any insight to this as I'm pondering this subject a lot and I'm not coming up with many answers I find it wonderful when somebody respect themselves like this
I totally agree. As I said previously, I hunt for most of my meat and believe it is a way of respecting and showing kindness toward animals and nature. Anyone who is truely an environmentalist, as I am, will want proper management of animals maintained and that means harvesting some to maintain a healthy population. By respecting the animals and nature in this way, one is respecting one's self. I don't believe someone can truely say he respects nature and be against proper management. That's disingenious and is masking a deeper disrespect for one's self.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:38 PM

125 posts, read 67,752 times
Quote:
I think normal people resent the delusional, while at the same time holier-than-thou attitude of these misguided people. For example, your OP reeks of holier-than-thou. Like because you don't eat meat you somehow respect and are kinder to animals. Animals are part of what I like to refer to as "the food chain". It is their job, their proper role in nature, to accumulate nutrients in their flesh and offer it up to the next higher link in the food chain (such as "me") for consumpiton.

You deprive animals of their employment, their self-actualization, when you don't eat them. They exist to be eaten. Haven't you ever heard of the law of the jungle "eat and be eaten"? It isn't "eat, and die of old age"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies