Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,815,484 times

Advertisements

Perhaps it's because while a meat eater confronted with a vegan/vegetarian at dinner will merely shrug and go "whatever, weird but it's up to you" rather than try to force meat etc on them, vegetarians are the ones trying to get the meat eater to give up their meat.

Just my experience.

Edited to add, and some vegetarian/vegans are quite strident in their opposition to others doing as they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:40 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,068,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Yes.

In the Midwestern US there has long been a dislike of vegetarians due to the association of vegetarianism with California and its type of cultural liberalism and with homosexuality. (Those two hatreds are intertwined and long have been, despite Prop 8.) There is a feeling that vegetarian men are sissies and homosexuals, and that being a vegetarian is unmanly. Not many vegeterians in the Midwest outside of the college towns (although Chicago probably has some due to its sheer size and diversity, I've never met any).

Surprisingly, there seems to be less prejudice against vegetarians in the Southern US despite its cultural conservatism. It seems to be more of a Midwestern thing. I'm unaware of it existing in upper New England where you are - never been in NH but most of the NH people I've met tend to be "live and let live" types and not really overtly concerned with the eating habits of others.

Wow I think I have heard everything now I guess I will have to look at all vegans with q***r eye now? LOL

I have so many relatives in the midwest that are vegan off and on. None are limp wristed sissies and the most flack they get is on how can they deprive themselves of a great BBQ.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,895,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
It's because there are a lot of militant vegans out there who won't shut up, and they are making you all look bad. They are so annoying, it gives meat eaters pleasure to heap some ridicule back here and there.
/thread. Your quote is exactly why this happens. Many vegans are almost militant about it, and are quick to jump all over those who don't share their views. This makes them a target.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,427,786 times
I could careless whether people eat meat or not but what I do have a problem with is when those that DON'T eat it try and stand in judgment of me. If you leave me alone, I will leave you alone, that is the bottom line. You get what you give, give respect and you will get it back.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,804,426 times
I feel while most meat eaters will say "eat whatever you like" - and enjoy their bbq, most vegetarians will definitely have the holier-than-thou attitude.
Especially the ones who go on tv shows and say "I look and feel fantastic, I am so much holier than meat eaters!"

People should be a bit more respectful overall. The general idea is that vegetarians are disrespected by meat eaters but I find the opposite very frequent as well.

On a recent post of mine regarding my sympathy for light vegetarianism someone told me "don't find excuses not to go vegetarian or say it is hard to eat tofu!" and another one said "fish is meat!"

Jesus, one cannot even have sympathy for others these days...

Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,804,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Unfortunately, most of the vegetarians I've met are annoying, holier-than-thou, relentless bores. Now I will assume that I've just been unlucky, I hope, but I think that's why veggies have this rep. They just come off that way.

I've tried tofu, many times, using many different preparations. It looks and tastes like snot. I won't try it anymore.

I love meat. I will always eat meat. Especially beef, although I eat less than I used to. I will never, never, never, never stop eating meat. It's one of the few pleasures I have left.

I hope to die, at around 65, with a big, juicy piece of filet mignon clenched in my teeth.

There. Now leave me alone and go back to your snot cubes.
If you choose a diet heavy in meat without a balance of fruit and vegetables, you will likely get your wish, around 65. However, when you do approach 65, you may change your desires. Hopefully, for you, in time.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times
I am an omnivore designed to eat most things that cannot run away and quite a few that can. Most of my calories are derived from grain that could not run from the reaper. The rest are from animals that did not try.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,133,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Perhaps it's because while a meat eater confronted with a vegan/vegetarian at dinner will merely shrug and go "whatever, weird but it's up to you" rather than try to force meat etc on them, vegetarians are the ones trying to get the meat eater to give up their meat.

Just my experience.

Edited to add, and some vegetarian/vegans are quite strident in their opposition to others doing as they wish.

True.

Another reason is some vegetarians will go to great lengths to post out right lies in hopes of scaring people to their side.

I don't care who eats what.
I don't have to resort to scare tactics to convince people to eat the way I eat. I don't feel the need to convince.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,133,807 times
Also, some are hypocrites.

One time , years back, us workers were discussding the upcoming deer season at lunch break.

A young college student was working with us part time.
He spoke up ( when asked if he deer hunted)------" I am a vegetarian. I don't believe in thre killing of animals for human consumption"

I asked him if he was a hypocrite cuz the place we worked was a packing plant

Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,575,997 times
I respect Vegetarians and Vegans and I say this as an avowed omnivore ( with carnivorous tendencies... ).

I am astonished to read that some people abuse Vegetarians/Vegans and that in some parts of the country being a non meat eater is considered "sissy", "unmanly" , "Liberal Californian" or "Homosexual" !!! I find that sort of attitude not only risible but a little pathetic and quite frankly moronic too.

I do have a problem with "preachy" vegetarians /vegans however. I love animals but see nothing wrong with eating meat.

I try very hard to eat organic, free range, humanely reared meat or hunted meat ( the most humane meats of all) and am a very fussy about provenance and animal husbandry. Same with Fish /Seafood coming from sustainable sources.

I have often been told by some vegetarians/vegans that I am "evil" and a "murderer" which does not always sit right with me. But some of my friends are vegetarians as are many acquaintances and as logn as we respect each other then kudos to them.

I actually love vegetarian food, and can quite happily go days without any meat. But to me still there is nothing quite like a Fillet steak or some properly hung venison.

I eat meat a lot less than many people because I prefer to pay more for non factory, organic humanely reared meat rather hormone fed, inhumanely reared, chemical ladden meat . Better taste, better for me and better for the environment. Everybody wins.

Factory farming and fishing is something I personally find distasteful actually. Humans eat far too much meat, far more than we ever used to in human history and the quality has gone down as have proper animal husbandry. People now expect to eat meat every day and care little about where it came from , standards of rearing, animal transport etc.. as long as it's cheap.

I sympathise with vegetarians/vegans on many levels but to me a human being is designed to be omnivorous. I think as long as we take care of the animals there is nothing wrong with eating them.

I am bemused however at vegetarians who claim to be so but eat fish/seafood , some even chicken.... Or people who wear leather, suede etc... Sounds to me more like a choice about food preferences than a moral value judgement.

We should eat a lot less meat however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies