Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times

Advertisements

I rarely eat meat for many reasons, but, I find that it is really odd that many people will sort of attack vegetarians verbally and rudely. It seems to happen if somebody has made the commitment to eat in a healthy way or in respect and kindness to animals. Does anybody have any insight to this as I'm pondering this subject a lot and I'm not coming up with many answers I find it wonderful when somebody respect themselves like this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I rarely eat meat for many reasons, but, I find that it is really odd that many people will sort of attack vegetarians verbally and rudely. It seems to happen if somebody has made the commitment to eat in a healthy way or in respect and kindness to animals. Does anybody have any insight to this as I'm pondering this subject a lot and I'm not coming up with many answers I find it wonderful when somebody respect themselves like this
Yes.

In the Midwestern US there has long been a dislike of vegetarians due to the association of vegetarianism with California and its type of cultural liberalism and with homosexuality. (Those two hatreds are intertwined and long have been, despite Prop 8.) There is a feeling that vegetarian men are sissies and homosexuals, and that being a vegetarian is unmanly. Not many vegeterians in the Midwest outside of the college towns (although Chicago probably has some due to its sheer size and diversity, I've never met any).

Surprisingly, there seems to be less prejudice against vegetarians in the Southern US despite its cultural conservatism. It seems to be more of a Midwestern thing. I'm unaware of it existing in upper New England where you are - never been in NH but most of the NH people I've met tend to be "live and let live" types and not really overtly concerned with the eating habits of others.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
One of the things I try to remind myself is that I have taken a pledge to treat not only animals with kindness, but humans as well. As difficult as they may sometimes be.

When meat-eating folks strike out at me, I often think that they feel defensive. Perhaps they have felt "attacked" by some of the more militant vegetarians in their past?

I gently try to encourage any and all who express any sort of curiosity about the vegetarian diet.

They say they cannot give up meat 100%? Ok then, how about trying to go vegetarian one or perhaps two days per week at first?

Worried about protein and nutrients? No problem. But at least consider giving up the larger animals (harder on the planet and more wasteful of resources) and stick with locally farmed chicken and fish you catch yourself?

Sometimes, when you present people with options you will create paths to a better understanding. Many are turned off by the "all or nothing" approach.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I have respect for both. It is actually a bit ridiculous to lash out on people bc of their food choices.

I have seen many people look at one and say "hmmm, so and so is a vegetarian, what a pain to find him/her something to eat".
The vegetarian is always the "annoying outcast", as if all there is to eat is beef.
It is a little more difficult to accommodate - if you are not used to vegetarian cooking - but then again I don't like a lot of stuff (picky eater) and I can perfectly substitute these things with others without complaining. People become vegetarians for several reasons, and to me this is somehow like saying "what a pain, he/she is diabetic, I will have to figure something out"

I like my beef, chicken, and I would be VERY miserable without dairy and fish. But I don't act critical of other people's choices, especially bc sometimes they are health-related.
And if I have a vegetarian friend over, I would happily make a vegetarian meal (even though I have not become friends with tofu, but I am working on it.)

However I hope you guys agree with me, sometimes vegans are not easy on meat eaters as well... not everybody has a kind/sweet (and wise) mind like plaidmom.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
It's because there are a lot of militant vegans out there who won't shut up, and they are making you all look bad. They are so annoying, it gives meat eaters pleasure to heap some ridicule back here and there.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
This is not a "vegetarian" topic, as it's a question for NON-vegetarians, so I'm going to move this thread to a more appropriate forum.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
When I first became a vegetarian, I was one of the annoying kind trying to convert my friends, but now I realize how futile it is to try to change anybody to do anything they haven't already decided is a good idea. I don't try any more. I will explain more or less why I am a vegetarian if I am asked and I try never to say anything that will make my meat-eating friends feel guilty about their choices. I have never been attacked for my food choices, fortunately, so I feel no need to do it myself. Maybe the best way to influence people is to be a good role model--if I am fitter because of my diet, people might ask me why and be encouraged to try it themselves. But I am not a very good role model because I am an overweight vegetarian

Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
It has been my observation that the only people who will offer negative comments are usually of the dumb-ass redneck variety. Most people who are even mildly intelligent, have the most teensy modicum of class and are even slightly aware that not everybody in the entire universe thinks like they do will most probably respect your decision/position and appreciate you for your integrity.

Classless boors are everywhere these days, unfortunately. I certainly would not let it bother me in the least.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Unfortunately, most of the vegetarians I've met are annoying, holier-than-thou, relentless bores. Now I will assume that I've just been unlucky, I hope, but I think that's why veggies have this rep. They just come off that way.

I've tried tofu, many times, using many different preparations. It looks and tastes like snot. I won't try it anymore.

I love meat. I will always eat meat. Especially beef, although I eat less than I used to. I will never, never, never, never stop eating meat. It's one of the few pleasures I have left.

I hope to die, at around 65, with a big, juicy piece of filet mignon clenched in my teeth.

There. Now leave me alone and go back to your snot cubes.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 PM

250 posts, read 379,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Unfortunately, most of the vegetarians I've met are annoying, holier-than-thou, relentless bores. Now I will assume that I've just been unlucky, I hope, but I think that's why veggies have this rep. They just come off that way.
This is true. I'm Buddhist and am supposed to be a vegetarian but haven't made it to that step yet. Even in my religion veggies are this way. They're as bad as Jehovah's Witnesses when it comes to pushing their beliefs.

Personally, I don't care what you eat. If you come to my BBQ I need to know ahead of time that you are a vegetarian/vegan so I can prepare something for you. I like a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies