Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM

469 posts, read 579,014 times

Advertisements

I have a coworker, I'll call her Crazy, who thinks that an Iconic Rock Band, (I won't name 'em, but trust me everyone on this forum has heard of 'em) is using government sponsored, computer aided, telepathy to harass her. They have been downloading programs into her brain via telepathy to talk to her and control her and track her. This Rock Band, actually got a restraining order against her. Crazy doesn't talk about it in detail at work, but she doesn't have to. There are a couple youtube videos about it and she also has an online newsletter where she talks about it. She does talk about how she is psychic and clarvoyant, how she has knowingness beyond normal human knowingness and powers beyond normal human powers. She is in constant contact with people of other cultures off world (space aliens) who advise her. In 2012 there will be an "upheaval" and she is preparing for it with karate and sword fighting classes. This stuff didn't bother me.

What bothered me is she and I would work together in a room alone. And almost on a daily bases she would point out some coworker and explain how that coworker is working for the evil forces trying to stop her from her assignments during the upheaval. She would start screaming and saying how they didn't know who they were messing with "I have a black belt in karate!" she would yell. This would go on for an hour, hour and a half. Freakin' creepy. This didn't overly concern me until more and more the coworker that was betraying her to evil forces was me. I told a member of management I thought I had a coworker who was potentially dangerous, and certainly unstable. Two weeks later Crazy came into work and started screaming at me right off. I ran out of the room and got our company security and the manager on duty who witnessed the whole thing. The company Security on duty said Crazy scared the crap out of him. She was sent home. HR conducted a review and told me that it was clear I provoked her. We were both given different schedules and aren't allowed to work together. End of story? No. The same exact thing happened this week with Crazy and another coworker. This coworker and Crazy will have there schedules changed and will not be allowed to work together.

Our company management flat will not deal with this mentally unstable coworker. I'm afraid she will physically attack someone someday. I don't work with her, but we are alone together during shift change. How do I get our company management to take this situation seriously and stop punishing the victims of her harassment? Should this other coworker and I get a restraining order against Crazy or will we just be throwing ourselves under the bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 PM

191 posts, read 143,882 times
Tough situation. I wish I could help but really dont know what avenue would be best. I dont think a restraining order is the way to go, though. That could lead to more problems for you, only with the company instead of with her.

The only thing I can say is be persistent with HR, your manager, their manager, etc. Try to document some of this stuff happening.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
I have a coworker, I'll call her Crazy, who thinks that an Iconic Rock Band, (I won't name 'em, but trust me everyone on this forum has heard of 'em) is using government sponsored, computer aided, telepathy to harass her. They have been downloading programs into her brain via telepathy to talk to her and control her and track her. This Rock Band, actually got a restraining order against her. Crazy doesn't talk about it in detail at work, but she doesn't have to. There are a couple youtube videos about it and she also has an online newsletter where she talks about it. She does talk about how she is psychic and clarvoyant, how she has knowingness beyond normal human knowingness and powers beyond normal human powers. She is in constant contact with people of other cultures off world (space aliens) who advise her. In 2012 there will be an "upheaval" and she is preparing for it with karate and sword fighting classes. This stuff didn't bother me.

What bothered me is she and I would work together in a room alone. And almost on a daily bases she would point out some coworker and explain how that coworker is working for the evil forces trying to stop her from her assignments during the upheaval. She would start screaming and saying how they didn't know who they were messing with "I have a black belt in karate!" she would yell. This would go on for an hour, hour and a half. Freakin' creepy. This didn't overly concern me until more and more the coworker that was betraying her to evil forces was me. I told a member of management I thought I had a coworker who was potentially dangerous, and certainly unstable. Two weeks later Crazy came into work and started screaming at me right off. I ran out of the room and got our company security and the manager on duty who witnessed the whole thing. The company Security on duty said Crazy scared the crap out of him. She was sent home. HR conducted a review and told me that it was clear I provoked her. We were both given different schedules and aren't allowed to work together. End of story? No. The same exact thing happened this week with Crazy and another coworker. This coworker and Crazy will have there schedules changed and will not be allowed to work together.

Our company management flat will not deal with this mentally unstable coworker. I'm afraid she will physically attack someone someday. I don't work with her, but we are alone together during shift change. How do I get our company management to take this situation seriously and stop punishing the victims of her harassment? Should this other coworker and I get a restraining order against Crazy or will we just be throwing ourselves under the bus?
Restraining orders aren't worth the paper they are written on. People are murdered on a daily basis by other people who they have an order against. If someone is unstable enough to attack and possibly murder you do you REALLY think a little piece of paper is going to make a difference? Of course not.

Not only that, filing a restraining order against this person just might push her over the edge. I don't think that would be a good idea either.

There are LAWS against hostile environments at work. I would take this up with HR and explain to them that this person is causing a hostile environment for you. If they fail to act on this, you need to push this. Otherwise you are putting yourself and other workers in mortal danger. You have no idea what this person is capable of. How many senseless murders would have been prevented if someone would have DONE SOMETHING before the person snapped?

Tell your HR department that you will file a LAWSUIT if they do not act to have this situation taken care of. Throw in that you intend to file a workers compensation claim because the stress levels of working with person has caused YOU to become ill. The secret in getting management act is to make them realize they are going to LOSE MONEY by keeping this person on the payroll.

Finally, I would certainly talk with an OSHA representative to find out if having a mentally deranged person in the workplace might qualify as a work hazard. I would call the union (if you have one), I would do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to protect myself from a crazy person.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.

Finally, if no one will act to protect you and the others working there, I would quit. Being employed is NOT WORTH being dead.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 PM

I don't think of the restraining order as any sort of physical protection. I consider it part of the political paper trail necessary to protect myself. If she does physically attack me and I injure her, I want clear legal paperwork that a claim of self defense isn't an after thought. It's legally established that we were afraid. In addition, wouldn't it put pressure on management to handle the problem, because they would be required to meet the directions in the restraining order. Is there any legal reason why management could know she is dangerous and not want to acknowledge it to protect themselves?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
[quote=Gilpin Girl;14254024]I
What bothered me is she and I would work together in a room alone. quote]

OK, this is an unpleasant but harmless, legal and nonviolent way to counteract this silliness. I was in your situation years ago in a closed shop environment and this worked for me to get the unpleasant person to shut up.

Prior to your next shift with this individual, consume the following:

Refried Beans
Pepsi/Coke
Cheese (preferably Swiss)
Sauerkraut
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Chocolate Milk

When said co-worker commences with the useless manifesto, start firing off the flak. Guaranteed to (a) shut the mouth or better yet (b) send this person out of the area requesting to work at another location.

Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 PM

[quote=Marksman84;14255291]
Quote:
I
What bothered me is she and I would work together in a room alone. quote]

OK, this is an unpleasant but harmless, legal and nonviolent way to counteract this silliness. I was in your situation years ago in a closed shop environment and this worked for me to get the unpleasant person to shut up.

Prior to your next shift with this individual, consume the following:

Refried Beans
Pepsi/Coke
Cheese (preferably Swiss)
Sauerkraut
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Chocolate Milk

When said co-worker commences with the useless manifesto, start firing off the flak. Guaranteed to (a) shut the mouth or better yet (b) send this person out of the area requesting to work at another location.

Good Luck!
LOL Thanks for the idea, however, I was looking for something that's longer lasting.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:44 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Your co-worker really is "crazy" if she believes that. It sounds like schizophrenia and she could be dangerous. She needs to be on medication.

I don't blame you for being afraid of her.

I agree with 20yrsinBranson's advice.... "being employed is not worth being dead."

Before doing anything I would consider the reality of retaliation from an unstable person... that is something that will never go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Restraining orders aren't worth the paper they are written on. People are murdered on a daily basis by other people who they have an order against. If someone is unstable enough to attack and possibly murder you do you REALLY think a little piece of paper is going to make a difference? Of course not.

Not only that, filing a restraining order against this person just might push her over the edge. I don't think that would be a good idea either.

There are LAWS against hostile environments at work. I would take this up with HR and explain to them that this person is causing a hostile environment for you. If they fail to act on this, you need to push this. Otherwise you are putting yourself and other workers in mortal danger. You have no idea what this person is capable of. How many senseless murders would have been prevented if someone would have DONE SOMETHING before the person snapped?

Tell your HR department that you will file a LAWSUIT if they do not act to have this situation taken care of. Throw in that you intend to file a workers compensation claim because the stress levels of working with person has caused YOU to become ill. The secret in getting management act is to make them realize they are going to LOSE MONEY by keeping this person on the payroll.

Finally, I would certainly talk with an OSHA representative to find out if having a mentally deranged person in the workplace might qualify as a work hazard. I would call the union (if you have one), I would do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to protect myself from a crazy person.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.

Finally, if no one will act to protect you and the others working there, I would quit. Being employed is NOT WORTH being dead.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-20-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 05:59 PM

19,831 posts, read 12,086,768 times
This employee is indeed creating a hostile work environment and the company would likely be liable should something drastic happen. If you in good faith have attempted to get the company to handle the situation and they do not
perhaps it would be helpful to contact an attorney?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:02 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:

She's absolutely, certifiably nuts.

Keep your distance. Make no unnecessary contact with her. Stay off her radar screen. People with severe paranoia are unpredictable and sometimes prone to violence.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Your co-worker really is "crazy" if she believes that. It sounds like schizophrenia and she could be dangerous. She needs to be on medication.

I don't blame you for being afraid of her.

I agree with 20yrsinBranson's advice.... "being employed is not worth being dead."

Before doing anything I would consider the reality of retaliation from an unstable person... that is something that will never go away.
Funny you should say this. She was a guest on a radio show, It's posted on the web. She tells the interviewer that people with her abilities are often misdiagnosed with Schizophrenia. She doesn't go as far as saying she was misdiagnosed with Schizophrenia. She is aware that people think she's crazy and she has some ability to control her anger or outbursts. She doesn't speak to management the way she speaks to coworkers. Our department manager thinks this is some sort of chick cat fight. He doesn't seem to understand the seriousness of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies