Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times

Advertisements

I've lived in CA for 30 years.

I had planned a summer vacation in Hawaii but decided to add a week to see the Grand Canyon too. I'm kind of ashamed to admit it but it's only a few hours away and I've never been there. OK, I'll admit it, I hate the desert but in support of the US citizens in Arizona, I'll do it. I may even rent a U-haul trailer to carry bikes and kayaks.

I am embarrassed that so many people in the state I've called home for most of my adult life could side with foreign invaders against our neighbors who are Americans. Whether they agree with your law or not, it's just despicable that Californians who claim to be American could so easily turn on their own.

Not everyone in CA is against you so if you see CA plates in Arizona, please don't assume it's an enemy.

And, thanks for making it legal to enforce US law already in place. That took guts in this day and age and Arizonans who support this have my respect.

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 05-20-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: seems a comma was begging for deployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I never had plans to visit AZ so just because I don't go don't think I'm boycotting.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
First off; the AZ law is not really that different from the Federal laws that exist, the main difference is that AZ they will uphold the law themselves. That said, targeting anyone that looks Mexican and requiring them to provide proof of citizenship without just cause (looking Mexican does not qualify) is a violation of our own laws. Pesonally I do not care if AZ upholds the law of the nation if they do so legally.
Secondly; I do not see AZ stating that they will go after the root of the problem and that is to go after those that hire illegals. We cannot, in my opinion, stop the illgals from entering this nation so long as they have reason to come here, forget building walls they will not work and would cost more money than we can afford to spend to build, maintain and then patrol the entire length.
Third, our imigration laws need to be reformed, many of those that come here to work would gladly do so legally if they could get a green card in a reasonable amount of time. Check them out and approve them if they have a clean record, and let them contribute to our nation in the way of labor and taxes paid.
So pass laws that treat the symptoms are you want, but until we address the issue in a logical manner we will continue to get the same results.
Casper
Wow, a liberal who understands the AZ law! Very well said and I agree with you, although I think a fence/wall should still be built. Use any and ALL means necessary to attack the problem on every level.

BTW, many people choose to not realize this, but many of the illegals crossing into the US from Mexico originated from countries that sponsor terrorism. This is an awesome (yet scary) video depicting our predicament should we continue to ignore the threat...
Channel 2 Investigates U.S. Border Security Part 1 - Video - WSB Atlanta (http://www.wsbtv.com/video/23438021/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times
We in Colorado, Nebraska and Illinois, applaud Arizona for standing up to this Illegal Alien attack on America. All tax paying citizens (that's only %47 of the current US population) support Arizona and will help open a pathway to send illegals back to where they came from.

BTW: Why does the US fly and bus the bulk of illegals back to mexico. They are illegal and should be punished by making them return the same way they came here...walking, car, tricycle, etc. at their own expense.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I've lived in CA for 30 years.

I had planned a summer vacation in Hawaii but decided to add a week to see the Grand Canyon too. I'm kind of ashamed to admit it but it's only a few hours away and I've never been there. OK, I'll admit it, I hate the desert but in support of the US citizens in Arizona, I'll do it. I may even rent a U-haul trailer to carry bikes and kayaks.

I am embarrassed that so many people in the state I've called home for most of my adult life could side with foreign invaders against our neighbors who are Americans. Whether they agree with your law or not, it's just despicable that Californians who claim to be American could so easily turn on their own.

Not everyone in CA is against you so if you see CA plates in Arizona, please don't assume it's an enemy.

And, thanks for making it legal to enforce US law already in place. That took guts in this day and age and Arizonans who support this have my respect.
Politics aside, You are going to love the Grand Canyon.
It is breath taking. I almost think it's a crime for one
not to see the Grand Canyon at least once in their life.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:58 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Instead of rallying around a state that has taken action for something the Fed has ignored many are doing the opposite.
When a law is so flawed that even local law enforcement finds it odious, why should any way "rally around" the state that enacted it?

As for the Fed ignoring the problem, this is what ABC news has found.

ABC News has made the following analysis of immigration facts about the southern border of the U.S.

More than 646 miles of the border are protected by fence, according to Customs and Border Protection.

More than 20,000 border patrol agents serve on the front lines -- an 80 percent increase over 2004 and the largest number in history.

The number of illegal immigrants apprehended along the border, which CBP uses to gauge the flow of migrants, is down nearly 55 percent from 2005. The agency captured 540,865 last year.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement detained and deported a record 387,790 unauthorized immigrants across the U.S. in 2009, and is on pace to set a new record in 2010.

the overall size of the U.S. illegall immigrant population -- 62 percent of which hails from Mexico -- continues to decline. The U.S. unauthorized population in 2009 was 10.8 million, down from a peak of 11.8 million in 2007.

In many of the U.S. border communities themselves, local law enforcement officials report violent- and property-crime rates that have fallen over the past year, and, in several cases, are among the lowest in the country.

Illegal Immigration Fact Check: 'Mayhem' Along U.S.-Mexico Border? Data Show Violence Declining - ABC News

Quote:
Do you folks WANT amnesty ?
In many cases, I believe amnesty would be most appropriate. But it isn't, nor should it be, the single issue on the table.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In many cases, I believe amnesty would be most appropriate. But it isn't, nor should it be, the single issue on the table.

Amnesty with an open border is insanity.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 PM

202 posts, read 187,289 times
The are some 600,000 illegals still in the U.S. with DEPORTATION ORDERS....and da feds do not know where they are...further,Janet Naplotano has reduced enforcement of immigration laws in the INTERIOR....including busting businesses that hire illegals...
(The Feds can trace illegals via stolen Social Security numbers submitted by various companies reporting....)

In 1986 when amnesty passed,there were an estimated 2 million illegals here in the U.S....5 years later, the number grew to 5 million +...

Obama has no idea what he is getting into...none whatsoever...

Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
We, in Arizona, know you're boycotting us -- but you really should come out here and see our Beautiful Sonoran Desert.

It's just gorgeous right now! We know you'd love it and maybe you can share what you saw with the rest of the country so they can love it too!

This is on an 'illegal super - highway' from Mexico to the USA (Tucson) used by human smugglers.

This area is located in a wash, approximately 1.5 miles long, just south of Tucson, Arizona. If a flood came, all this would be washed to the river and then onto the sea!
It is estimated over 5,000 discarded backpacks are in this wash. Countless water containers,

food wrappers, clothing, feces, including thousands of soiled baby diapers. And as you can see

in this picture, fresh footprints leading right into it.

As we kept walking down the wash, we thought for sure it was going to end, but around every corner was more and more trash!

And of course the trail leading out of the wash in our city, heads directly NORTH to Tucson, then leads to your town tomorrow.

They've already come through here. Isn't Arizona just beautiful, America? Why would you boycott us?

Our desert has basically been turned into a landfill.

The trash left behind by people illegally crossing our border is another Environmental Disaster to hit the USA. How many drugs did these people smuggle in with them?

If these actions had been done in one of our Northwest Forests or Seashore National Parks areas, there would be an uprising of the American people.....but this is the Arizona-Mexican border.

You won't see these pictures on CNN, ABC, NBC or the Arizona Republic Repugnant newspaper. Nor will they mention the disease that comes from the uncovered human waste left in our desert.

However, with respect to CNN, ABC & NBC, they do offer us "Special Reports" on cheating celebrity spouses.... This information needs to be seen by the rest of the country and we need your SUPPORT...

fyi; I received this via email
Why aren't the Sierra Club and other environmentalist groups not speaking out against this devastation?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Where in the hell is the crying Indian commercial for this freaking mess. Oh that only applies to Americans trashing the ecosystem. Makes me sick down to my Mexican Ancestor bones. I really need to move to Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies