Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Absolutely! We need MUCH MORE regualtions on all oil companies and we need to closely monitor them as well. IMO, the oil companies should become nationalized to prevent this problem in the future. This lates oil spill disaster is evidence that the oil companies are not reliable or capable.
How much more over the ones NOT FOLLOWED or EXEMPTED by our own government ????

Why is the answer to all our problems "more regulation" ?
We have regulations that are not followed so how is MORE going to help ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 AM

214 posts, read 120,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They can't stop it. To think otherwise is silly.
They can only deal with the aftermath.

Since no one ever thought this would happen I'm sure they are scrambling to figure out something.
Ummm.... Did you forget about the plan that was laid out in 94 for this exact thing? Well, to refresh your memory, the plan was to set the spill on fire soon after it happens with firebooms. Guess what, the feds never procured any firebooms..... That's what they could have and should have done. To let the feds off the hook like you are is nonsense.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The "stopping it" was before it happened with safety features and regular maintenance and inspections.

The process was there to prevent this but was not followed. We don't need new laws..just follow the laws that are there today.

The hearings have uncovered that everyone that had a capital/legal interest in this dropped the ball one way or another.
Did the hearings talk about the feds dropping the ball on their 1994 fireboom emergency plan? That is the biggest failure in this whole mess.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditTheFed View Post
Ummm.... Did you forget about the plan that was laid out in 94 for this exact thing? Well, to refresh your memory, the plan was to set the spill on fire soon after it happens with firebooms. Guess what, the feds never procured any firebooms..... That's what they could have and should have done. To let the feds off the hook like you are is nonsense.
Some follow on posts of mine lay the blame equally on all involved including the government. No way do I let the Feds off the hook.

There's proaction and reaction. They are all now in reaction mode.
We found out via the hearings that not much continued proaction happened.

It's been BP with all the "let's try this and let's try that". I haven't heard of any EPA disaster plans being dusted off.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
If the government is to be held accountable, the government needs to have the authority over oil companies. I agree with you about this Sanrene!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the government is to be held accountable, the government needs to have the authority over oil companies. I agree with you about this Sanrene!

They do. Who do you think issues permits for drilling ?
Who inspects and regulates and shuts down operations if they are unsafe ?

Don't look for new rules. What you want is already in place.
The government dropped the ball...don't think they are innocent and had their hands tied.

More than likely they had their pockets greased and turned a blind eye.

I want to see heads roll...from the top. I want to finally see top level government officials FIRED. I want to see accountability out of our government for ONCE.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Some follow on posts of mine lay the blame equally on all involved including the government. No way do I let the Feds off the hook.

There's proaction and reaction. They are all now in reaction mode.
We found out via the hearings that not much continued proaction happened.

It's been BP with all the "let's try this and let's try that". I haven't heard of any EPA disaster plans being dusted off.
I haven't heard of any plans being dusted off either, most likely because their plan was the fireboom plan which they never fully had in place and don't have another plan, hence the lack of action. The 94 plan was a reaction plan also and would have mitigated the entire mess. The hole would still have to be filled in, but coastlines wouldn't have been in as much danger as they are now. This is unfolding exactly how Katrina did when the local governments there had a plan and never inacted it. You would think that people would learn their lesson after the very first mishap. But we all know that isn't true, look how many times TSA has missed someone after 911.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
same place that bush was with katrina.
not exactly. the "bush complaints" were not about the probable potential for disaster or the actual disaster....... but the response to that probable disaster, and who was in charge and what could be done differently.

brownie was not qualified to handle the the situation.

Fugate..... dunno.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
not exactly. the "bush complaints" were not about the probable potential for disaster or the actual disaster....... but the response to that probable disaster, and who was in charge and what could be done differently.

brownie was not qualified to handle the the situation.

Fugate..... dunno.
And what's different about this ?

Where's the EPA's disaster plans ?
What BP got working is only syphoning off 1/5 of what is spewing.
The oil has hit the cost of Louisana.
The oil is still spewing and some MSM reports say they are not being allowed to view the real spill area. The numbers are coming from the government and many are starting to think it's much worse than what we are being told.

This IS a disaster unfolding before our very eyes and it's being marginalized IMO. Fish will be contaminated for YEARS from either the oil or the chemicals being used.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
of the decade unfolds.......SLOWLY...before our very eyes?

Why haven't federal agencies done more to STOP this slick from reaching the coast?

What have they done exactly? Watched as it inched closer and closer over the last two weeks?

Gulf Oil Spill: Louisiana Wetlands Blanketed With BP Crude (VIDEO)

Watch the video.

Where the hell has the federal government been in stopping the slick?
His M.O. - He is most likely trying to find a way to blame Bush for this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies