Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

YouTube - New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander - Part 1 - Democracy Now!

YouTube - New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander - Part 2 Democracy Now!

(please watch these videos)

Do you feel we should end "The War on Drugs?"

The rise in the prison population can be directly traced to "The War on Drugs" and we're spending billions on locking people up.

How should we deal with those who use drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
I've got a big white sheet that I would gladly donate for such a purpose.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

How should we deal with those who use drugs?
I say look at those countries with little to no drug problems and see how they deal with it. It may be harsh but if it works, then that is what is needed.

Also look at how some countries protect their borders..again it may shock some but barbed wire and machine guns seem to be working.

Time to take off the kit gloves...give them 60 days to get packing and back home. Let them take up their causes with their own government.
The PC social engineering "be nice to them" just isn't working.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
ask portugal...

i say yes as a san diego citizen.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I say look at those countries with little to no drug problems and see how they deal with it. It may be harsh but if it works, then that is what is needed.

Also look at how some countries protect their borders..again it may shock some but barbed wire and machine guns seem to be working.

Time to take off the kit gloves...give them 60 days to get packing and back home. Let them take up their causes with their own government.
well said

Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

The PC social engineering "be nice to them" just isn't working.
So I guess no one has learned from Prohibition.
By keeping things illegal, you create a black market for them.

It's funny how when the "War on Drugs" started the use of drugs was going down.

Two Takes: Drugs Are Too Dangerous Not to Regulate—We Should Legalize Them - US News and World Report

Twelve good reasons why drugs should be legalized

Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Well we aren't going to execute drug users. We can't afford to house them all in prisons for the rest of their lives. Treatment programs don't work for everyone. The criminal element thrives underground so I guess the best thing to do is to shine the light one it all and decriminalize it. We can still apply harsh legal punishment to a user who breaks the law, help those who want help, and let the rest die from drug overdoses. It's the ultimate in personal responsibility. Oh, and no government help for addicts of any sort except treatment.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:13 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
Yes.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:14 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Should we end the war on drugs? Absolutely and immediately.

But I don't buy the race issue.

There are so many reasons why this war is a failed effort with an unacceptable goad.

1. We have lost the war. Drug use is higher now than before the war.
2. It has ruined millions of lives.
3. It costs over 100 billion dollars per year.
4. It creates the environment for a criminal element...just look at Mexico.
5. Prohibition has been proven to be a failure over and over.
6. And even if the war on drugs succeeded, it would be a failure since we do NOT need our government to tell us how to live our lives. I don't want a government so big that it can police what we eat, drink and smoke.

Absolutely, we should end the war on drugs.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Oh and by the way many in law enforcement say we should end the war on drugs. Check this out;

LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies