Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust our US government?
Yes 6 14.29%
Very, Very Little 9 21.43%
Hell NO 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times

Advertisements

I do not trust government to spend money wisely or frugally. Government is corrupt to one degree or another at all levels and the higher one goes on the scale, the more corrupt it gets. Government is all about POWER--keeping it, growing its reach, extending its power. It becomes more and more intrusive, reaching ever deeper into our lives as time goes on. Even a few years ago, who would have ever thought that government would be telling us what we could eat.

In order to keep its power, government must be in a state of continual expansion. The growing states rights movement will being this whole thing to a showdown in this century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Do you trust government?

I trust LIBERAL government to try and do the things that will help most of against the rapacious corporate domination of our society. I trust conservative government to aid and abet the thieving corporate monopolists and corrupters. After the last forty years of corrupt conservative government I can understand why people do not trust politicians. They work for the corporations and should not be trusted.

I have found government to be occasionally inept but I have found the private sector to be consistently inimical.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Here's a brain twister for ya:

Millions of military members have trusted their government to send them into battle - and the same conservatives who are quick to say that they don't trust the government paradoxically seem to be very vocal in supporting them.
so you think only Conservatives do not trust our government?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Why would I? What exactly have they done to earn my trust?

They lie to us.<<right there is a reason to not trust them. They waste our money. They abuse their power.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:56 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
To do what?

The Coast Guard, for example, seems to do a pretty good job when it comes to rescuing people.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well would you trust them with your life?

About as much as I would trust:

Corporations
News Models
Former Actors
Talk Show Hosts
Union Management
Self Proclaimed Messengers of God

and the list can go on and on.

Last edited by plannine; 05-21-2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: edited to stay on topic

Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
I do not equate our military with "the government" as it's mission is national defense. Not the same thing as "the government", whose mission seems to be to confiscate money and control every aspect of our lives.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Why would I? What exactly have they done to earn my trust?

They lie to us.<<right there is a reason to not trust them. They abuse their power.
Who doesn't?

There are not any real consequences for people to say things they know are false, from main street to wall street to the halls of government. We learn from watching others and what happens to them. When nothing happens, we learn that behavior we may have considered outrageously inappropriate maybe wasn’t so bad after all for us, but not everybody else. When we know there is a chance that everybody is not telling the truth, we tend to take sides with the one who's views, although lies, match what we perceive as true.
"Imitation can greatly hasten the process of independent learning by enabling the subject to perform the first correct response sooner than he otherwise would… . In order for imitation to elicit the first correct response, the essential units of copying or matched-dependent behavior must already have been learned" (from Social Learning and Imitation. N. Miller/ J Dollard)

Quote:
They waste our money
Only when it's for someone else.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
To do what?

The Coast Guard, for example, seems to do a pretty good job when it comes to rescuing people.
Not their only job.

The mission of the Coast Guard includes safeguarding the maritime interests of the Nation - protect the public, the environment, and U.S. economic and security interests in any maritime region in which those interests may be at risk, including international waters and America's coasts, ports, and inland waterways.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 PM

45 posts, read 22,053 times
Yes, because if I donĀ“t which government will I trust? It would be foolish of me to trust any other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies