Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This is just your opinion. Not facts. Do you understand the difference? You don't know what Washington was thinking. You didn't know George Washington. I'm glad that you are so interested that you've put together a theory, and I'm happy for you that your theory just so happens to fit so well with your personal needs to have historic figures conform to the identity you've crafted for them.

Personally, I don't need to craft identities for historic figures. I love to do research on them, and learn from them, but I don't have a need to build on history, to attach characteristics to them which they may or may not have possessed, but which the historical record does not conclusively demonstrate.

It's not a dead horse. It's historical veracity.

Washington was a gentleman, in a time when gentlemen reserved the right to keep certain personal matter private. It is clear that he felt religion to be such a matter, and so he went to lengths to keep his religious persuasions privy. And he did so tactfully and politely. That deserves some respect. I respect it. Can you?
Another well written and sensible post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
You have a very limited world view if you think that all history prior to your own is irrelevent and dark!

We are not so sophisticated as you may think.. Many of todays problems have been repeated throughout history.. Much of the progresive political mantra of today is similair to what took place in other countries in other times.. along with the apathy displayed that attributed to the attrocities of WWII...

yes we have technology, but we are no more socially progressed then during much of the history of the world!
That is not at all what I said. I said that the personal religious beliefs of the founders are irrelevant to our future.

Much of history was dark, though, compared to the vast knowledge and information available at our fingertips today. I find it much easier to understand the people of centuries ago clinging to religious beliefs that were pounded into them generation after generation. Today, in a modern culture with instant access to unlimited information beyond that of family, it is much more difficult to understand. And that is why, of course, more and more are breaking the cycle.

One of the strongest manifestations of political correctness in place today - one that pre-dates all other forms by decades, if not centuries - is that which makes it taboo to aggressively challenge religion and religious beliefs. But there are some cracks beginning to appear of the surface of that iron shield and one of these days it is going to crumble. That will truly be cause for celebration as the world takes another step out of the darkness toward the light of reason.

History irrelevant? It is anything but that and I dare say it is those who stubbornly cling to devoutly religious beliefs who have the most to learn from it.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That is not at all what I said. I said that the personal religious beliefs of the founders are irrelevant to our future.

Much of history was dark, though, compared to the vast knowledge and information available at our fingertips today. I find it much easier to understand the people of centuries ago clinging to religious beliefs that were pounded into them generation after generation. Today, in a modern culture with instant access to unlimited information beyond that of family, it is much more difficult to understand. And that is why, of course, more and more are breaking the cycle.

One of the strongest manifestations of political correctness in place today - one that pre-dates all other forms by decades, if not centuries - is that which makes it taboo to aggressively challenge religion and religious beliefs. But there are some cracks beginning to appear of the surface of that iron shield and one of these days it is going to crumble. That will truly be cause for celebration as the world takes another step out of the darkness toward the light of reason.

History irrelevant? It is anything but that and I dare say it is those who stubbornly cling to devoutly religious beliefs who have the most to learn from it.
I find it ammusing that there are so many people that look at religion as black and white. There is no middle ground. To stand extreme on either side of the issue is ignoring the reality...

Whether your pounding your fist talking about all no believers are going to hell or whether you feel there will be some awakening from the darkness when religion crumbles... you all sound crazy.. the vast majority of world is somehwere in the middle and that is true of almost any period of our history..

Go fight religion somehwere else, as far as I am concerned it is one of the foundations of this nation.. The communists hated religion and tried to remove it from their society.. IS that what you want here?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
I find it ammusing that there are so many people that look at religion as black and white. There is no middle ground. To stand extreme on either side of the issue is ignoring the reality...

Whether your pounding your fist talking about all no believers are going to hell or whether you feel there will be some awakening from the darkness when religion crumbles... you all sound crazy.. the vast majority of world is somehwere in the middle and that is true of almost any period of our history..

Go fight religion somehwere else, as far as I am concerned it is one of the foundations of this nation.. The communists hated religion and tried to remove it from their society.. IS that what you want here?
The answer is that the progressives want just that but the people who are supporting them really don't know that. They can't see that this is the same thing that the communists attempted to do in Russia, but these people have learned a thing or two about how they failed in their attempts to wipe out Christianity in Russia and had to allow them to come back while they were still in control.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The answer is that the progressives want just that but the people who are supporting them really don't know that. They can't see that this is the same thing that the communists attempted to do in Russia, but these people have learned a thing or two about how they failed in their attempts to wipe out Christianity in Russia and had to allow them to come back while they were still in control.
Roy,
What evidence do you have that there are no religious progressives/liberals? I don't happen to be religious, but liberals run the gamut - Christians, Jews, etc. I support your right to believe whatever religion you choose and have a place in which to worship.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:20 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
What is happening to our country is very frightening. We can't trust anything we are told, all we can do is choose who we trust the most.
Many of us agree that Glenn Beck is closest to the truth because it all makes the most sense. Not because we are stupid Glenn Beck followers but because we are looking and seeing what is happening.
There are 2 sides to this coin, one is right. Look around and think about what you are seeing.
The whole world is falling apart, we are not stupid and don't need Glenn Beck to tell us it is happening. It just so happens he is the only one not afraid to actually say what we are all seeing but the other side will not admit it is happening.
Who cares what George Washington was?
The fact is, we are all in serious trouble but Glenn Beck is the only one with enough courage to point it out.
He believes George Washington was a Christian and so do I but it is the least of our worries.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
to say that the founding fathes were not christians is unfair.
to say that they were TV evangelists is absurd.
they were practical men brightest and most idealistic of their time and despite the drinking smoking whoring slave owning and horse thief hanging, a whole lot better than what we got now.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Some things are obvious.
Yep.

It is most obvious that Washngton was a Deist.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:03 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
George Washiington was not a religious man.

Google Founding Father deist and do a bit of reading.

I'll help you out. Here's the first hit:

Religion and the Founding Fathers (http://www.earlyamericanhistory.net/founding_fathers.htm - broken link)
And what was Nelly Custis-Lewis's position on such a claim?

Old 05-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Ignoring the reality? What is the "reality" or "middle ground", as you put it? Is it that some, but not all "no believers are going to hell"? Or that...they may not be going to hell, but they're sure gonna have to give up their hot tubs, month-long cruises, and margaritas? Why is it crazy to call religion the fairy tale that it is?

The vast majority of the world is in a religious trance and has been led to believe that the most dire consequences will befall them if they don't "believe". Most people are incredibly - and I mean incredibly in the most literal and strongest sense of the word - easily led. Does that mean that the religious fairy tales that have been used to control them for thousands of years are truth? Sorry, middle ground just makes no sense.

This is my home and I'll speak up about religion where I please, thank you. You are certainly entitled to your belief that it one of the foundations of this nation. But it is most certainly not a belief you would have arrived at with your own independent thought.

And lastly....I am not a communist..or a progressive..or a liberal. I am a life long conservative who stands with many of you fellow conservatives on many of the issues of the day. But you don't have to follow religious marching orders - which are frankly insulting to the intelligence of a truly independent thinking lover of personal liberty - to understand and live by conservative principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies