Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,705,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Ignoring the reality? What is the "reality" or "middle ground", as you put it? Is it that some, but not all "no believers are going to hell"? Or that...they may not be going to hell, but they're sure gonna have to give up their hot tubs, month-long cruises, and margaritas? Why is it crazy to call religion the fairy tale that it is?

The vast majority of the world is in a religious trance and has been led to believe that the most dire consequences will befall them if they don't "believe". Most people are incredibly - and I mean incredibly in the most literal and strongest sense of the word - easily led. Does that mean that the religious fairy tales that have been used to control them for thousands of years are truth? Sorry, middle ground just makes no sense.

This is my home and I'll speak up about religion where I please, thank you. You are certainly entitled to your belief that it one of the foundations of this nation. But it is most certainly not a belief you would have arrived at with your own independent thought.

And lastly....I am not a communist..or a progressive..or a liberal. I am a life long conservative who stands with many of you fellow conservatives on many of the issues of the day. But you don't have to follow religious marching orders - which are frankly insulting to the intelligence of a truly independent thinking lover of personal liberty - to understand and live by conservative principle.
its ignoring the reality as I see it!

I see poeple like you who put anyone who considers themselves a christian in one catagory.. its not that simple.. Most everyperson I know now or who I have ever known are sooo loosly religious you wouldn't know what their beliefs are... and really that accounts for even the people that I know who I would consider to be very religious..

But people on your side of the fence I hear from all the time. trying to erase religion and only seeing it as black and white.

absolutely abusing and twisting the definition of what the separation of church and state is supposed to mean..

at the end of the day I have much more fear from people like you that want to erase religion from society then from any bible thumper who wants to cram it down my throat..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 AM

470 posts, read 1,153,421 times
Factual AND historical inaccuracies from Mr. Beck?
I'm SHOCKED!!
Shocked, I says!!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:29 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
And what was Nelly Custis-Lewis's position on such a claim?

Yeah, thought so. Big talk, yet I doubt you even know who she is.

It is one thing to get all your info from agenda sites and another to gather it from historical documents.

If you are all interested in finding out the source of your information, follow it to the source. If it doesn't end in the actual document from the times, then you might as well cite the comics of the newspaper.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,673,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
its ignoring the reality as I see it!

I see poeple like you who put anyone who considers themselves a christian in one catagory.. its not that simple.. Most everyperson I know now or who I have ever known are sooo loosly religious you wouldn't know what their beliefs are... and really that accounts for even the people that I know who I would consider to be very religious..

But people on your side of the fence I hear from all the time. trying to erase religion and only seeing it as black and white.

absolutely abusing and twisting the definition of what the separation of church and state is supposed to mean..

at the end of the day I have much more fear from people like you that want to erase religion from society then from any bible thumper who wants to cram it down my throat..
Well, in all honesty I don't know what you're trying to say. Clearly we disagree, but I'm not even sure I understand what it is we disagree about. It almost sounds as though there's an admission in there that it's all nonsense, but we should nevertheless act like we take it seriously anyway - at least "loosly" so.

"Abusing and twisting the definition of what the separation of church and state is supposed to mean"? That invites a request for you to explain what you think it is supposed to mean.

People like me? Don't know why you'd feel any fear of an honest conservative guy with a quest to sort truth from the voluminous BS thrown at us each day. To fear me is to fear honesty. To each his own, I guess....

Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,705,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, in all honesty I don't know what you're trying to say. Clearly we disagree, but I'm not even sure I understand what it is we disagree about. It almost sounds as though there's an admission in there that it's all nonsense, but we should nevertheless act like we take it seriously anyway - at least "loosly" so.

Abusing and twisting the definition of what the separation of church and state is supposed to mean"? That invites a request for you to explain what you think it is supposed to mean
People like me? Don't know why you'd feel any fear of an honest conservative guy with a quest to sort truth from the voluminous BS thrown at us each day. To fear me is to fear honesty. To each his own, I guess....

what I am saying is that the issue of religion is NOT black and white. You have no concrete proof that its all hogwash and to say that somehow the world would be better with out it is pure speculation and a fairy tale as it will never happen... every society since the don of time that we are aware of had some sort of spiritual beliefs... where does it all come from?

What I "think" the separation of church and state IS? well simply put its that government will make no laws, rules for or against to promote or hinder any religion or the practices there of.. basicaly... stay out of it ALL together.. that means if I am the fire chief of a small fire house and me the other firemen I work with want to put up a christmas tree.. leave me alone... If the school my child goes too is predominantly christian and they want to have a chirstmas holiday party and celebrate christmas IN school... so be it! let individuals make their own choices when it comes to religion..

You people... well basically what I mean by that is people who are more concerned with "other" people and how they live their life.. I dont care of your an atheiest, I dont care of you hate religion of all kinds.. I dont think the world would be better when ALL atheiest become believers.. fact is we dont know squat about anything? please if you have an answer as to what the hell ALL of this is.. explain it to me

remember you started this conversation when you made the allegation that the world will be better when religion crumbles.. and that somehow people are enlightend when they come to that realization?????? how would you or anyone be able to make that claim?

maybe you should explain that too me.. tell me how everything will be better..

and for the record I dont care if your a conservative.. I am a Libertarian!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies