Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Well this is pretty stupid, if this is true no hospital would ever enter into a prefered provider arangement with an insurance company and would charge the insurance company anything they wanted. The insurance companies would in turn pass on those costs to the insured in the form of higher premiums. Health care costs are sure to rise. God help us when the government gets involved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read that part and that was my question in my post.

Is there going to be no more "out of network" with private insurance ?
Is every doctor and hospital now "in network" ?

Because right now I'm paying extra to have out of network coverage.
And..in an emergency there is coverage but you have to call them within a time period to let them know you went out of network but for an emergency.
Out of network care will still exist, however someone who gets out of network emergency care will pay at the same rate as in-network. Also lifetime limits on insurance payouts will be ended, annual payout limits will be reduced and then eliminated as well.

On a personal note, a few years ago when I was working in the mortgage industry (04/05) I had a client who was trying to refinance as he was on the verge of foreclosure. The reason he was in the situation was a couple years earlier he had a fall from a roof (he was a contractor). He was seriously injured and rushed to a hospital, but it wound up being an out-of network hospital, and as a result wound up a bill in excess of $100,000. The end result unfortunately was that we could do very little for the poor guy and he wound up losing his home.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well this is pretty stupid, if this is true no hospital would ever enter into a prefered provider arangement with an insurance company and would charge the insurance company anything they wanted. The insurance companies would in turn pass on those costs to the insured in the form of higher premiums. Health care costs are sure to rise. God help us when the government gets involved!
Thew new health care law actually cracks down on this type of stuff.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nobody but a self-defeater (unless you work for insurance company or have vested personal financial interest in) would support the preferred provider arrangement, considering that the service providers technically become puppets of the insurance companies. This also affects people who would rather pay out of pocket, as insurance companies would like to discourage that practice.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obamacare does not come into effect for four years, at which time it will be repealed. So who cares?
Simply false. While its true some provisions will not go into effect for a few years, most will be enacted before then. Many were enacted right away, quite a few others will be enacted at the six month mark, many on Jan 1st 2011, and so on. The specific provision dealing with the situation in the topic at hand (out of network emergency care costs) will be enacted on September 23.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Here come the premium increases. More payouts on the same premiums won't last long.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Here come the premium increases. More payouts on the same premiums won't last long.
Especially given that the premiums HAVE increased rapidly over last 10 years or so. When did they not?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Especially given that the premiums HAVE increased rapidly over last 10 years or so. When did they not?
Precisely. No one denies that. But I think its safe to say that those increases weren't a result of government mandate. The next round of increases will be directly because your government forced it on you. That's the difference, and for some reason liberals are OK with that, although they hated that mechanism called the "free market." Why is that?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Precisely. No one denies that. But I think its safe to say that those increases weren't a result of government mandate. The next round of increases will be directly because your government forced it on you. That's the difference, and for some reason liberals are OK with that, although they hated that mechanism called the "free market." Why is that?
You're correct in that, with or without government mandates, the premiums have gone up. I must add, rather rapidly over last several years. So I find it ridiculous to now blame any notion of premium increase to HCR.

And you're completely wrong about this notion you hold of liberals/progressives hating free market. Most, if not all, of us favor regulated free market. You simply hate the regulated part. But then, I also believe, health care and a person's well being and life, shouldn't be a market commodity with a price tag on it.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You're correct in that, with or without government mandates, the premiums have gone up. I must add, rather rapidly over last several years. So I find it ridiculous to now blame any notion of premium increase to HCR.

And you're completely wrong about this notion you hold of liberals/progressives hating free market. Most, if not all, of us favor regulated free market. You simply hate the regulated part. But then, I also believe, health care and a person's well being and life, shouldn't be a market commodity with a price tag on it.
Mandated health care insurance is not "regulated free market." It's a free market that has been hijacked by the government and forced to run as a legal Ponzi scheme. This will be particularly true when Obama gets the much coveted power to regulate premium increases. When that happens, either the giant Ponzi will collapse, or insurers will go out of business, or both. And with that happens, Big Government will say "We told you so. You can't trust the free market to provide you health coverage. Therefore, we have no choice but to completely socialize every aspect of your healthcare via government ran insurance."

It's coming. All your hopes and dreams are about to come true. Get your wallets greased for the coming rape and pillage. But remember, you did ask for it.

http://healthplans.hcpro.com/content...-Premium-Hikes##
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies