Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanMan View Post
Voter turnout is atrocious.

What if voting was made mandatory? Could it work? What are some pros and cons you can think of?

Obviously there would need to be some strict regulations. Logistically i'm not sure how it would be done, but I think it would be interesting.
What agency or entity would make it mandatory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 07:25 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,643,053 times
If vote was mandatory, then there is no a true democracy.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:43 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:

What if voting was made mandatory? Could it work? What are some pros and cons you can think of?

Obviously there would need to be some strict regulations. Logistically i'm not sure how it would be done, but I think it would be interesting.
Involuntary servitude is unconstitutional.
Voluntary servitude is constitutional.

How can mandatory voting be voluntary servitude?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:39 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
But you agree with forcing people to buy health insurance to subsidize others? What's the difference here?
..and you agree that everybody should be forced to pay for the military. What's the difference?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 AM

1,089 posts, read 654,950 times
Quote:
But you agree with forcing people to buy health insurance to subsidize others? What's the difference here?
No one will be forced to buy health insurance, however if you don't you'll pay a fine that will go toward paying for the health services people use wilhout paying such as in emerency rooms, clinics etc.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 AM

6 posts, read 13,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Involuntary servitude is unconstitutional.
Voluntary servitude is constitutional.

How can mandatory voting be voluntary servitude?
I agree.

I also say that the military draft is involuntary servitude, and should be banned from ever being used in this country (U.S.).

Old 05-23-2010, 12:58 AM

698 posts, read 1,508,990 times
Voting should not be mandatory. However, those that don't vote should not be allowed to partake in politics or government of any kind. Voting is a civic responsibility of the citizens. If you cannot even complete your most basic civic duty, then why should you be allowed in the process at all.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:59 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
Quote:
What if voting was mandatory?
Then the same ambitious, selfish thieves and liars controlled by corporations and lawyers would be elected by a larger overall population of votes.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,479 times
Quote:

Bluesfanman,

If voting were made mandatory in my opinion all hell would break loose. Part of the reason we have such huge divides is via voting, so can you imagine, how polarized the country would be if politicians actually had to invest time, resources, and energy actually attempting to please everyone's wants.

It would lead to the following

1. Highly corrupt political machine (more so than now)
2. Much more polarized country
3. Much higher government expenditures

These are the problems i can think of off the top of my head.

I hate to say it, but too many people can be too easily swayed through propaganda and other forms of distorted information, so if you have enough money to throw at the results you want you could create a very powerful dictatorship through mandatory voting.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:45 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:

I stood in line with people who didn't even know who our Governor was. All they wanted to do was vote for the black man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies