Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times

Advertisements

Look in Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:49 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Reagan did some great things, but he was no fiscal conservative. He ran up the largest deficits in history to date and he certainly wasn't open to minorities (just look back at his ignorance as to why poor black people didn't just move).

Still, he was a very good president for that time just as Obama is a very good president for our current needs.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,221 times
I don't hate Obama, but I would likes he considers more small businesses, he does nothing for them, as Bush...These 2 presidents are too big business-friendly.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I don't hate Obama, but I would likes he considers more small businesses, he does nothing for them, as Bush...These 2 presidents are too big business-friendly.
Well, my friend, I'm getting the feeling you weren't around or were very young during the Reagan era.

It was Reagan who opened the floodgates for big business economic treason. That is when the train whose destination was the destruction of the American middle got going under a full head of steam and all Presidents since have just been along for the ride.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, my friend, I'm getting the feeling you weren't around or were very young during the Reagan era.

It was Reagan who opened the floodgates for big business economic treason. That is when the train whose destination was the destruction of the American middle got going under a full head of steam and all Presidents since have just been along for the ride.
I was born in 1987 and in France, effectively I didn't know this era.But I studied history, and Reagan helped economic growth to resume, he repaired Carter's faults.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:37 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I was born in 1987 and in France, effectively I didn't know this era.But I studied history, and Reagan helped economic growth to resume, he repaired Carter's faults.
That's what I thought.

It's a long story and I'm not going to try to re-tell it here as there are lots of sources on the web that put the Reagan presidency into proper perspective.

Reagan was an actor and was good at one thing - getting in front of a camera and charming viewers with warmth and wit. And yes - America did need that badly in 1980.

But by no means did he repair Carter's faults. He just replaced them with his own - chief among them being naive trust in big business that they would do the right thing if he "got government off their backs". He did....and they didn't. His administration's policies put America on a downhill slope that has culminated in crisis 20 years later. Crisis that leaves many of us fearing we will never again see American greatness like which we took for granted in the 50s and 60s. More and more people are seeing America's best years behind us rather than ahead of us and the beginning of the end was during the Reagan era.

But charming he was. I voted for him enthusiastically in 1984, but within two years I realized that I'd been had - along with most of the rest of the country. Some people to this day can't see past the charm they saw on the surface and continue to say he was a great President. How I wish that were true.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
I know many American men begging for Carla Bruni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies