Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times

Advertisements

I got an email from TrueMajority.org with the following text (link to news report referenced below):

As the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig continues to spill over 1 million gallons of oil into the Gulf every day, Republicans are demanding less regulation for companies like BP and Transocean while also looking for a taxpayer-funded bailout of BP.

After a month of oil spewing into the Gulf, the cost of cleaning up BP's mess is $542 million and counting. But a group of Republican senators lead by Lisa Murkowski of Alaska want the company to pay for only the first five days of the cleanup and put taxpayers on the hook for everything else.

BP makes over $3.9 million EVERY HOUR. In the 31 days since the rig exploded, they've earned over $2.8 billion. Meanwhile, BP lawyers are working overtime to make sure that they are on the hook for only $75 million of the cleanup cost. And Murkowski and her allies think that's just fine because, to them, fewer rules are a good thing.

GOP Blocks Oil Spill Liability Bill - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

What incentive does BP have to fix the problem if they know already that the bill for the cleanup will be someone else's? Glad to see the Democrats and Obama attempting to hold the oil companies accountable. If you opposed the bank bailouts like I did, why not throw your support to these efforts? We can't afford this hidden tax. FYI: I'm an independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 02:24 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I got an email from TrueMajority.org with the following text (link to news report referenced below):

As the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig continues to spill over 1 million gallons of oil into the Gulf every day, Republicans are demanding less regulation for companies like BP and Transocean while also looking for a taxpayer-funded bailout of BP.

After a month of oil spewing into the Gulf, the cost of cleaning up BP's mess is $542 million and counting. But a group of Republican senators lead by Lisa Murkowski of Alaska want the company to pay for only the first five days of the cleanup and put taxpayers on the hook for everything else.

BP makes over $3.9 million EVERY HOUR. In the 31 days since the rig exploded, they've earned over $2.8 billion. Meanwhile, BP lawyers are working overtime to make sure that they are on the hook for only $75 million of the cleanup cost. And Murkowski and her allies think that's just fine because, to them, fewer rules are a good thing.

What incentive does BP have to fix the problem if they know already that the bill for the cleanup will be someone else's? Glad to see the Democrats and Obama attempting to hold the oil companies accountable. If you opposed the bank bailouts like I did, why not throw your support to these efforts? We can't afford this hidden tax. FYI: I'm an independent.
Democrats will go along with this.

It's my understanding that the spill didn't happen in U.S. waters. So I don't see how regulations would've prevented it.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Democrats will go along with this.

It's my understanding that the spill didn't happen in U.S. waters. So I don't see how regulations would've prevented it.
I haven't heard one Dem or lefty say a word about international waters. That makes me wonder.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
I as a Taxpayer, do not trust BP to do a very good job.

You and I both know they are going to try and take the cheapest route, instead of the fastest.

It is in our nations best interest to completely take over the situation and commandeer what ever equipment it takes to do it right and do it fast.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

You and I both know they are going to try and take the cheapest route, instead of the fastest.

It is in our nations best interest to completely take over the situation and commandeer what ever equipment it takes to do it right and do it fast.
You are intimating that Obama needs to take private property and put it to use for government work. Didn't I read something about our government passing some kind of law about how to deal with tragedies just like this one back in the Clinton administration but nothing ever happening? It sure seems like that happened.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

I am not totally against anything you posted here but all this taxpayer paying crap is too much like what was done about New Orleans a few years ago. Why did the federal government spend all that money to clean up that mess if they can't even get involved in this much farther reaching tragedy? Just wondering.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You are intimating that Obama needs to take private property and put it to use for government work. Didn't I read something about our government passing some kind of law about how to deal with tragedies just like this one back in the Clinton administration but nothing ever happening? It sure seems like that happened.

Yes, and if you didn't know, he and even the police have all the rights to do so. It is for emergency purposes only and as an American, you should be willing to help anyway when asked. You will be compensated for the use of the equipment.
But yes, they have every right in an emergency situation to take what they need to fix it, as long as those that it was taken from, receive it back, or are compensated for it.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:04 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:

Kind of makes you wish we actually had procedures in place to protect our coasts from major spills like this doesn't it? Or at least it makes us wish our government took this spill seriously in the first place and employed every available resource in the first place.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
There's also some Federal limit to company liability which they want to change and make retroactive which is against the constitution.

A number of plays going on in Congress these days.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, and if you didn't know, he and even the police have all the rights to do so. It is for emergency purposes only and as an American, you should be willing to help anyway when asked. You will be compensated for the use of the equipment.
But yes, they have every right in an emergency situation to take what they need to fix it, as long as those that it was taken from, receive it back, or are compensated for it.
If Rahm used it compensation would be the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies