Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 PM

504 posts, read 456,819 times

Advertisements

With all the men and women who have given there lives in war for control of natural resources, with all of the oil spills, mining deaths from accidents and black lung, with all the pollution and clear cutting of forest's. What would your reaction be if big business had bought out and buried the patents for cleaner technologies to produce energy.

We have all heard about the 100mpg engine, We all have heard about someone accidentally buying a prototype car from the dealership that got remarkable gas mileage only for the dealership to track the vehicle down and pay a kings ransom to get it back.

I'm no science wiz but I know its not that friggin hard to seperate hydrogen and oxygen from water and power an engine.

Just like the liquor industry, the pharmaceutical industry and street drug dealers dont want Marijuana legalized I get the nagging feeling that Big Oil and the bois have stymied energy innovation progress for monetary gain. Even now they lobby hard against high speed rail because of the reduction in the consumption of fossil fuels ie. less cars on the road. Even though its in the best interest of the country to not be dependent on foreign oil.

If we find that this is the case what would be your reaction?

Personally I say confiscate everything they have of value (corporations and individuals) and public executions are in order. Their off spring should be exiled from the country.

What say you if all the death and destruction could have been avoided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
I'm no science wiz but I know its not that friggin hard to seperate hydrogen and oxygen from water and power an engine.

Hard? No!

Do it with a low enough input of energy to make it worthwhile?

THAT's a whole 'nother story.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
With all the men and women who have given there lives in war for control of natural resources, with all of the oil spills, mining deaths from accidents and black lung, with all the pollution and clear cutting of forest's. What would your reaction be if big business had bought out and buried the patents for cleaner technologies to produce energy.

We have all heard about the 100mpg engine, We all have heard about someone accidentally buying a prototype car from the dealership that got remarkable gas mileage only for the dealership to track the vehicle down and pay a kings ransom to get it back.

Just like the liquor industry, the pharmaceutical industry and street drug dealers dont want Marijuana legalized I get the nagging feeling that Big Oil and the bois have stymied energy innovation progress for monetary gain. Even now they lobby hard against high speed rail because of the reduction in the consumption of fossil fuels ie. less cars on the road. Even though its in the best interest of the country to not be dependent on foreign oil.

Personally I say confiscate everything they have of value (corporations and individuals) and public executions are in order. Their off spring should be exiled from the country.

When do intend to have progressives pass laws to overcome some of the problems you will have with the confiscations and public executions? You must know that such activity is not legal either from law or constitution. I say that once you find all these things I would be willing to fight with you over this kind of activity. Progressives may take over completely but not unless they can manage to keep all their seats in Congress this fall.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:48 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:

If someone made a car that got 100 mpg they would patent it and make trillions world wide. And if it was an oil company, they could sell off some of their oil wells short, make a killing, and then release the 100mpg car and make even more money, and the price for oil dropped to $5 a barrel.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When do intend to have progressives pass laws to overcome some of the problems you will have with the confiscations and public executions? You must know that such activity is not legal either from law or constitution. I say that once you find all these things I would be willing to fight with you over this kind of activity. Progressives may take over completely but not unless they can manage to keep all their seats in Congress this fall.

I wouldnt take it lightly all the deaths and pain incurrered for the control of oil. No way I let robber barons keep the spoils of war like that. No way you go on living your life when I have lost family and friends to this, no way you get to sleep at night with all the horror visited upon others by mistreating our country like that. Its illegal but I guarantee you theres gonna be a mob who wants their pound of flesh. And I guarantee you they would be willing to go through you, Blackwater or anyone else who would protect these corporate vampires.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If someone made a car that got 100 mpg they would patent it and make trillions world wide. And if it was an oil company, they could sell off some of their oil wells short, make a killing, and then release the 100mpg car and make even more money, and the price for oil dropped to $5 a barrel.
This is the reality of what an oil company (Chevron) actually did do:

Quote:
Batteries
Limited range (60 - 70 miles) and reliability in the first EV1s to ship, but better (110 - 160 miles) later. Research says the average driving distance of Americans in a day is 30 miles or less and that 90% of Americans could use electric cars in their daily commute. The film also showed that the company who had supplied batteries for EV1 had been suppressed from announcing the improved batteries that can double the range of EV1, and General Motors had sold the supplier's majority control share to an oil company. Towards the end of the film, an engineer explains that, as of the interview, lithium ion batteries, the same technology available in laptops, would have allowed the EV1 to be upgraded to a range of 300 miles per charge.

Oil companies
Fearful of losing business to a competing technology, they supported efforts to kill the ZEV mandate. They also bought patents to prevent modern NiMH batteries from being used in US electric cars. The film also used the crash of oil prices in 1980s as an example of non-US governments and oil companies trying to keep customers from moving towards independence from oil.
Who Killed the Electric Car? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Ever watch who killed the electric car.
There is a conspiracy afoot.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:21 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Quote:

Just want to bring up a point.
With the high speed rail, you are still going to have to get to it, get to where you are going after you get off of it, get around while you are there and it is going to cost lots and lots of money to build.
Many people will just drive instead.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is the reality of what an oil company (Chevron) actually did do:

Who Killed the Electric Car? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, seen this before, and this is not your silver bullet.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:

I'm no science whiz, either. But the ongoing myth about "the 100 mpg car" is pure BS. Even tiny scooters don't get that kind of mileage and it's not because of some kind of oil company conspiracy. It's the simplest of physics.

To move a given mass over a particular distance requires a certain minimum amount of energy. No engineer can bypass that fact. No gadgetry will lower that minimum.

We've been misled into this enduring mindset that we should desire unsustainable growth and favor overconsumption of resources.

I think it's beginning to dawn on a growing segment of the population that these notions are flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies