Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

I use play the Motley Crue version in past bands, I still practice it sometimes, might play it again in a future band who knows, I don't really care about the history of the song or that some maniac liked it, I like jamming the song

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:20 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
Capitol released “Got to Get You Into My Life” (from the group’s 1966 album, Revolver) on the A-side, but selected “Helter Skelter,” to serve as the flip side. “Helter Skelter” was likely chosen for the B-side because a cover version of the song had been prominently featured in a made-for-tv movie about the Charles Manson murders that had aired on CBS shortly before the release of Rock ‘n’ Roll Music.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Capitol released “Got to Get You Into My Life” (from the group’s 1966 album, Revolver) on the A-side, but selected “Helter Skelter,” to serve as the flip side. “Helter Skelter” was likely chosen for the B-side because a cover version of the song had been prominently featured in a made-for-tv movie about the Charles Manson murders that had aired on CBS shortly before the release of Rock ‘n’ Roll Music.
That was released after the Beatles had split.

I wondered before what would have happened if Manson's fave Beatles song had been "Taxman" rather than "Helter Skelter". Would he and his murderous minions have gone after the IRS instead of entertainment industry celebrities?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
American radio stations suck. All they do is pump out an endless amount of the same old same old same old sludge. Daily.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
American radio stations suck. All they do is pump out an endless amount of the same old same old same old sludge. Daily.
The Telecommunications Act of 1996 destroyed American radio.

Not to mention, to paraphrase the early '80s one hit wonder song, "The Internet Killed The Radio Star"

Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I had it and I forgot which song was on the A side- I think it was either Back In The USSR or Got To Get You Into My life. Personally I didn't like the song and never listened to it. Like most artist then, even the Beatles were good at putting a good song on the A side and a crappy song on the B side so that you did not get a "2 for 1" when you bought the record.
Just about every song that was released on 45 during their time together the B side was played and usually charted as well as the A side - until 1970 they were considered separate releases and had separate chart entries in the U.S.

They had more B sides in the top 40, then most groups have with A sides.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Ah

Revolution #9 wasnt political though, although would you like to know a Manson connection to it? In his black-white race war fantasy that he preached to his choir, Charlie thought the crowd screaming "Block that kick!" was actually screaming "Block that dick!" -- meaning, the Beatles were telling him NO to black-white sex in the future world.

True fact.

On our oldies station in the DC area you sometimes get one of the most political songs Lennon ever did "Imagine". This song is Karl Marx set to music. But we never get "Give me some truth" or McCartney's "Give Ireland Back to the Irish".

Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
On our oldies station in the DC area you sometimes get one of the most political songs Lennon ever did "Imagine". This song is Karl Marx set to music. But we never get "Give me some truth" or McCartney's "Give Ireland Back to the Irish".
Imagine was a hit single. The other two were not.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I've heard it many times on the radio. Have you ever heard U2's cover of it? Way back in the 70's the AM stations didn't play it. Yes, AM stations DID play music!
Yes. That is the version that I'm more familiar with. I suspect that the Beatles' version is different however.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Agreed. I complained once to my local oldies station once here in San Antonio (101.1). Like another poster said, they pick songs that have been tested by marketing ppl. It is the same monotony played over and over again. This is unfortunate b/c they really do leave out ALOT of the songs that were the kaleidoscope of our young lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies