Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times

Advertisements

Obama has fired Elizabeth Birnbaum, the MMS chief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
There's a difference. Bush knew a Hurricane was coming, unless he was clueless. Never mind
There is a big difference that you are conveniently ignoring. Hurricane evacuation is a city, parish, state responsibility. These entities are required to provide a hurricane plan to FEMA in advance just as BP was required to provide a disaster plan in case of emergency prior to being allowed to drill. In the case of Katrina the responsible entities (City, parish and state) did not follow their evacuation plan. In the case of BP the emergency shutoff failed. The spill is clearly BP responsibility and BO is correct in turning over the shutdown responsibility to BP. HOWEVER, the spill occurred in FEDERAL waters and it is the responsibility of the Federal government to clean it up (paid for by BP). Ultimately the buck stops with BO and he is showing a clear lack of leadership. If you don't believe this just watch the CNN reports where reporters on the scene are reporting the same thing that Carville said yesterday - that there is no cleanup activity going on in large (as far as the eye can see) areas of heavily polluted water. No booms, no skimming, no nothing. Senator this morning on MSNBC read the appropriate FEDERAL statute that clearly stated that cleanup of oil spills in FEDERAL waters was a Federal responsibility.

And to the loon who compared this spill to a hangnail .....

Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
There is a big difference that you are conveniently ignoring. Hurricane evacuation is a city, parish, state responsibility. These entities are required to provide a hurricane plan to FEMA in advance just as BP was required to provide a disaster plan in case of emergency prior to being allowed to drill. In the case of Katrina the responsible entities (City, parish and state) did not follow their evacuation plan. In the case of BP the emergency shutoff failed. The spill is clearly BP responsibility and BO is correct in turning over the shutdown responsibility to BP. HOWEVER, the spill occurred in FEDERAL waters and it is the responsibility of the Federal government to clean it up (paid for by BP). Ultimately the buck stops with BO and he is showing a clear lack of leadership. If you don't believe this just watch the CNN reports where reporters on the scene are reporting the same thing that Carville said yesterday - that there is no cleanup activity going on in large (as far as the eye can see) areas of heavily polluted water. No booms, no skimming, no nothing. Senator this morning on MSNBC read the appropriate FEDERAL statute that clearly stated that cleanup of oil spills in FEDERAL waters was a Federal responsibility.

And to the loon who compared this spill to a hangnail .....
I saw the report and it made me sick to my stomach.
Obama should have ordered a top kill attempt whether it would have worked or not, first thing. All these government agencies, and everyone has their hands up their ass. As I said on another thread, my heart goes out to family and friends in the Gulf. I demand heads roll, after this spill is stopped. I really don't know how much more the Gulf can take. and Sad.

As far as Katrina, here are some excerpts of exchanges between Bush, the Governor and Nagin, you might want to read:
Katrina: How Bush Blew It - Newsweek Hurricane Katrina Coverage (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9287434/print/1/displaymode/1098/ - broken link)

Last edited by pollyrobin; 05-27-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
katrina was a mayor and governor problem

bush did the correct thing,,,he declared it an emergency BEFORE the hurricaine hit...fema uses the LOCAL ASSETS that nagain REFUSED to use

it falles squarely on nagain

Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet the liberal media blamed the hurricane Katrina, the flooding, and the whole aftermath on Bush.
Links please.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:59 AM

90 posts, read 87,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
katrina was a mayor and governor problem

bush did the correct thing,,,he declared it an emergency BEFORE the hurricaine hit...fema uses the LOCAL ASSETS that nagain REFUSED to use

it falles squarely on nagain
No thinking person disputes that it was the Governor and Mayor's responsiblity to manage their state and city in the emergency. They failed miserably.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM

90 posts, read 87,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Links please.
They are in plethoric abundance. I am sure you will have no problem finding them.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I saw the report and it made me sick to my stomach.
Obama should have ordered a top kill attempt whether it would have worked or not, first thing. All these government agencies, and everyone has their hands up their ass. As I said on another thread, my heart goes out to family and friends in the Gulf. I demand heads roll, after this spill is stopped. I really don't know how much more the Gulf can take. and Sad.

As far as Katrina, here are some excerpts of exchanges between Bush, the Governor and Nagin, you might want to read:
Katrina: How Bush Blew It - Newsweek Hurricane Katrina Coverage (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9287434/print/1/displaymode/1098/ - broken link)
I personally am VERY tired of the moaning and groaning about Katrina. I lived for over 30 years in Houston, SW Louisiana, and New Orleans. In that time I have experienced a number of hurricanes. I even had 3.5 feet of flood water in my house in 1979. After that occurrence my husband and I by ourselves did ALL the work to repair the house. It took us approximately 6 months to accomplish. We pulled and replaced sheetrock, removed and replaced flooring, removed and replaced cabinetry in kitchen and baths,etc. We got no federal assistance. There were no telethons or teams of people moving in to rebuild for us. Where were Brad Pitt, Oprah and Nate, etc???? We did the work, because we could not afford to hire the work done. That being said it has been almost 5 years since Katrina. I think it is about time to stop riding that dead horse!!!
And by the way, at the time, I told my sister who is a staunch republican that there was plenty of blame to go around with Katrina so I definitely don't give GWB a free ride. I just feel that it is time to move on!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetair View Post
They are in plethoric abundance. I am sure you will have no problem finding them.
No, I have never seen one where "liberal media" blamed Bush for the hurricane itself (as claimed in the post I responded to).

As for the spill: it is a ridiculous claim that no one is working on the clean up when there are over 20 000 people working on the clean up. The oil companies are the only ones with a realistic chance to stop the leak and the last I heard BP, Chevron and other Big Oil companies are brainstorming together trying to find a solution.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Scientists: Gulf spill far bigger than Valdez - Gulf oil spill- msnbc.com

Quote:
COVINGTON, La. - The Gulf oil spill has surpassed the Exxon Valdez as the worst in U.S. history, according to new estimates released Thursday, but the Coast Guard and BP said an untested procedure to stop it seemed to be working.

Meanwhile, marine scientists have discovered a massive new plume of what they believe to be oil deep beneath the Gulf of Mexico, stretching 22 miles from the leaking wellhead northeast toward Mobile Bay, Alabama.
WTH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies