Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I most certainly do agree that some still see blacks as different but I also think that many blacks use racism and the past as an excuse not to try. It is easier to play the victim. Not all by any means but many. I think the reasons go much deeper and need to be explored because if it is not addressed things will never change. I simply do not feel it is any kind of privilege that causes a person to succeed it is determination and how you live your life.
Many do use the past as an excuse. Conversely, I hear many white people complain that they didn't get a job because "the minorities get everything nowadays". It's two sides of the same coin--no self-examination to see if one's own behavior had anything to do with their failure to achieve.

But in some cases the white privilege is real. Where I work it is more progressive than most places (partly because of location, partly because of being a public employer who has had to follow the hiring laws for decades as opposed to a private-sector employer who can get away with more in that regard if they so choose.) Still, a few years ago, a black woman who felt that she was well-qualified and had seniority was passed up one too many times for the promotion in favor of a white person. She did the right thing--she documented everything and got herself a lawyer.

It went to court, and an all-white jury agreed that there was evidence that she had been passed over due to her race and awarded her a tidy settlement. And she came back to work, head high. And you know what? I bet that none of those people who were in charge of her department ever considered themselves racists or privileged until the evidence was placed before them and everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Many do use the past as an excuse. Conversely, I hear many white people complain that they didn't get a job because "the minorities get everything nowadays". It's two sides of the same coin--no self-examination to see if one's own behavior had anything to do with their failure to achieve.
Totally agree. Lack of personal responsibility seems to have become a thing of the past.

Quote:
But in some cases the white privilege is real. Where I work it is more progressive than most places (partly because of location, partly because of being a public employer who has had to follow the hiring laws for decades as opposed to a private-sector employer who can get away with more in that regard if they so choose.) Still, a few years ago, a black woman who felt that she was well-qualified and had seniority was passed up one too many times for the promotion in favor of a white person. She did the right thing--she documented everything and got herself a lawyer.

It went to court, and an all-white jury agreed that there was evidence that she had been passed over due to her race and awarded her a tidy settlement. And she came back to work, head high. And you know what? I bet that none of those people who were in charge of her department ever considered themselves racists or privileged until the evidence was placed before them and everyone else.

Again totally agree and yes she did do the right thing and I am glad that she was given what she rightfully deserved. As I said being white is most certainly a leg up but I don't think it is as instrumental in success as it once was.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I think that you are absolutely right about that. Many white ppl are not even aware that they have that advantage in the workplace. Brava that your friend documented everything and that there are laws that protect ppl from racial discrimination in the workplace.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Ok let me help you with your reading skills. My EXACT quote was:

I did NOT say "just spending"!!!! I said let's compare WHAT they are spending it on!
Oh, yes you did! Here are your exact words:

Again net worth is not income. If you have two people making $50,000 a year and one invests in homes, stock, etc and one just spends how can you claim "white privilege" did that? One must ask what are non-whites spending their money on verses whites?

I really have a problem with this notion that blacks spend money differently than whites in the long run. I'm not talking like brand preferences (which I am unaware of, anyway) or little things. Are blacks spending less of their money on housing, saving less, etc? Could you provide some documentation?

BTW, if slavery ended 500 years ago, as you said in a previous post, that would mean it ended in 1510, just 18 years after Columbus sailed to the Americas. Actually it's been about 145 years.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 PM

177 posts, read 256,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You didn't read the posts then. Nobody is saying there isn't white privilege.

How much id debateble.

It's nice to see a thread about race that is actually based in some kind of fact and not all the usual nonsense.

Except for Borikua, of course.
This is towards the denial-ists.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
Of course, white people are going to deny that they are privileged.
How would a black American define "white privilege?" I need an example of white privilege. I don't think I have ever experienced an advantage due to skin color. But maybe I'm just ignorant and didn't recognize it. What do black Americans think is going on in white circles, where you have no access?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Yes, it exists. But many of those people will always deny that they're the most privileged. Who are they fooling? And many of those people often cry reverse racism when someone of another group racially or violently attacks them, despite that they have more than less.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Slavery might of been hundreds of years ago, but Jim Crow was only stopped a couple of decades ago.

Do you really think that in four decades the problems caused by discrimination would go away...
As long as those people are the majority, discrimination of any kind will never go away.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 AM

You're sounding like those people are the perfect and crimeless race in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post
Does White Privilege exist in countries where Whites are a minority?

What about countries in Africa or even a country such as Haiti? Does White privilege exist there? For a country such as Haiti who do you blame? Blacks bring poverty, crime, and an inability to create a civilization wherever they go, it's not something that is somehow exclusive to the United States.

I do not see groups such as Asians complaining about 'White Privilege'. Wonder why? Well, we all know the answer.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:59 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, yes you did! Here are your exact words:

Again net worth is not income. If you have two people making $50,000 a year and one invests in homes, stock, etc and one just spends how can you claim "white privilege" did that? One must ask what are non-whites spending their money on verses whites?

I really have a problem with this notion that blacks spend money differently than whites in the long run. I'm not talking like brand preferences (which I am unaware of, anyway) or little things. Are blacks spending less of their money on housing, saving less, etc? Could you provide some documentation?

BTW, if slavery ended 500 years ago, as you said in a previous post, that would mean it ended in 1510, just 18 years after Columbus sailed to the Americas. Actually it's been about 145 years.
If you really had comprehension skills you would see that I was giving an example of where "white privilege" would NOT be the issue. I did not at any time say that all non-whites "just spend" as you imply. I was giving what could be one of many reasons for the difference in net wealth.

Yes I know I posted 500 it was an error in typing I meant to hit the 1 and hit the 5, by the time I realized it I could not edit the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies