Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it's a great idea to require licensing for machinery use.... do you want pilots to just hop on a plane and fiddle around with things until they get it right? Licensing is there for a reason. It means there is a standard that all users need to have.
Planes? Certainly...

Quote:
As for the diving boards...I don't think it was a 'liberal lawyer' that made all your precious diving boards go away, it was probably parents suing the school because their kid got hurt/killed etc. either by making a mistake or not being trained how to properly use it.
The parents certainly are to blame too but the lawyers have created a mentality that if you stub your toe it's time to sue.

Quote:
As for the toys... we have a few local toy makers in my area that still make toys without any issues.
The clock is ticking...

Help Save Handmade Toys, Apparel, and Accessories from the CPSIA (Handmade Toy Alliance)

Quote:
You can't forcibly make people be responsible.
You can't make them responsible but you can hold them responsible for their actions or inactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Interesting view. Keep in mind that conservatives SUPPORT the principles of the founding fathers and want the current US to abide by the US Constitution (remember that document). Conservatives have the same sentiments as the founding fathers and want very little infringement or control by the central government.
You need a history lesson. The Constitution replaced the Articles of Confederation to give the federal government more control.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You really need to go back and read the writings of the founding fathers, because you obviously have no idea what they were trying to establish. They mistrusted government and strived to keep power in the hands of the people and the individual States with limited power granted to the Federal government and any power not specifically given to the Federal government to remain with the States and the people. The country is supposed to "of the people" which means by keeping power local, it is more responsive to the people.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln Sixteenth President of the United States 1861-1865

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite." -- Thomas Jefferson

"There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation." - James Madison

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it [GOVERNMENT] come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases. - Thomas Jefferson

"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them..." -- Mark Twain

"It's important to realize that whenever you give power to politicians or bureaucrats, it will be used for what they want, not for what you want."-- Harry Browne

"As government grows, its increased power to grant favors or inflict pain attracts more people who would abuse the system." -- John Fund
And of course, the ONE time when that was tested, Lincoln steamrolled over the "will of the people". and fought a bloody civil war to force those people under the thumb of the Union government.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
There have been some improvements, even under liberals. Women are much more likely to be held accountable for their crimes now that society is more liberal. In the past, their husbands might have been held accountable, or the crime would be simply swept under the carpet...

It's not like there suddenly became women willing to have sex with their 10 year old students. It has always happened. It's only now that they are likely to be charged and convicted of crimes, in the past, it would have been swept under the carpet by a more conservative society.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
You really need to go back and read the writings of the founding fathers, because you obviously have no idea what they were trying to establish. They mistrusted government and strived to keep power in the hands of the people and the individual States with limited power granted to the Federal government and any power not specifically given to the Federal government to remain with the States and the people. The country is supposed to "of the people" which means by keeping power local, it is more responsive to the people.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln Sixteenth President of the United States 1861-1865

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite." -- Thomas Jefferson

"There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation." - James Madison

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it [GOVERNMENT] come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases. - Thomas Jefferson

"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them..." -- Mark Twain

"It's important to realize that whenever you give power to politicians or bureaucrats, it will be used for what they want, not for what you want."-- Harry Browne

"As government grows, its increased power to grant favors or inflict pain attracts more people who would abuse the system." -- John Fund
Look what our FIRST Republican president did--invaded another country to force them to remain under the iron control of his Federal government.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM

412 posts, read 404,943 times
Quote:
It has recently occurred to me just how opposed to personal responsibility liberals really are. They are convinced the government is the perfect substitute for personal responsibility. They would much prefer people rely on government for their education, their health care, their retirement, how to raise their children, what to eat, what they can purchase and own, and all most every other aspect of their behavior. They would prefer government take from the most productive members of our society, and redistribute to the less productive. They prefer massive amounts of government regulation which makes it literally impossible for the common man to even understand what the law even is, and therefore impossible to legally comply. They prefer a system where everyone who fails can be classified a victim and not be held responsible for their failures. Failure of the individual must be absorbed by society as a whole. We must all be dependent upon the system, and discouraged from being self sufficient. The idea that humans are of low moral character and need government to regulate behavior must be reinforced. Freedom is synonymous with anarchy and compliance by all is required for a stable society. The individual cannot be trusted. The forefathers were wrong to believe everyman had the personal rights which put him on equal footing with kings. They were wrong that the government should be subservient to the people. They were wrong that the people gave power to the government and not the other way around. We should succumb to the wills of the state and ignore the warnings of our first President...
Only the strawman Democrats made by Republicans that bear no real resemblence to actual Democrats.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Can't believe i am saying this, but as much as i feel that the Democrats seem to have no boundaries with Responsibilities and accountabiliy, niether do the Republicians, i feel it is Politicians in general, who seem to forget about responsibilities, once they become elected. It go's right over their head.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'll give you another example, diving boards. Diving boards are inherently dangerous, it's just the way it is. When I was kid not only did we have diving boards but we had high dives. There isn't a dive at any public pool in this area I'm aware of including the High Schools. If you're a clutz you probably shouldn't be on the diving board, if you choose to use that board then it's your responsibility or the responsibility of your parents. Instead liberal lawyers decided it was the responsibility of the owner of the board. Insurance is now too high, no more diving boards.
If where you live is anything like where I live I just bet those diving boards were replaced with slides. Two story slides, four story slides and higher. I think what you're looking at here is supply and demand. One pool puts in a slide and everyone goes over there so the next pool puts in a bigger slide. Can't have all the toys so diving boards went away.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
I'm fine with personal responsibility. If however, environments are created where it is unlikely most people can be responsible or attain some level of success with hard work, then I have a problem. Thats what I see now in a lot of parts of this country. People on the bottom who do have jobs, are so overworked in order to feed their families, pay the mortgage get healthcare etc. that they neglect a lot of other aspects (living healthy, spending time with families). Its easy to tell someone to walk away or to change something but when you are responsible for families, its hard to do. i've been going through career/location change for 4 years now, and when I'm finally done with school, I'll be over 100K in debt 5 years older, and just starting out, while most of my colleagues will be nearly 10 years younger than me. Doesn't sound to attractive, does it? I doubt I'm going to be able to afford a house or start a family for another few years.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be difficult to be responsible. I'm saying it shouldn't be virtually impossible.

Portraying all liberals as bums who do not want to take any responsibility is a childish stereotype.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The social programs of the left are unconstitutional and unethical. The fact that they are utter and complete failures proves that the founders were right in their assertation that all men are created created equal.

Why are liberals so fast to spend other peoples money?
I am a liberal....I pay taxes.....where do you get "other people's money"?

Oh, ya, you saw it on a bumper sticker..."Liberals Spend Other People's Money" ...and repeated it enough and now it's true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies