Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
If SK retaliates, we have never had a choice one way or the other. We're bound by treaty obligation.
In theory, yes. The Mutual Defense Treaty supposes such. But in this political climate, and with Obama's true anti-war stance, I believe any such action by SK on NK will be an SK event with US support. I don't believe there's enough political/intestinal/testicular fortitude in the White House to be seen as an agressor given Obama's propensity to insist on Milk and Cookies Foreign Policy.

We might provide the munitions, but i'm of the opinion that we won't be pulling the trigger, unless NK comes forth with major force. At that point, we'd certainly have to get involved. But Obama would have to relinquish his Foreign Policy initiatives and succumb to the idea that he's just another George W. Bush dealing with world affairs with a heavy hand instead of a white cotton glove, as he's done for the last 17 months. I don't think Obama's willing to take off the white glove in favor of a boxing mitt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Well seeing as we are required by treaty to back up South Korea, we'll have to go to war if Lil Kim decides to keep acting like an idiot.

That my friends, will be one hell of a war, and not one that is going to end quickly or easily. North Korea has one of the top 5 militarys in the world. Over a million soldiers.

Smart bombs and air superiority aside, its going to take a lot of hands on, up close and personal warfare. We simply don't have the manpower without a draft at this time.

Stay tuned you 20 year old men out there.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:37 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Prepare For North Korea Aggression

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama has directed the U.S. military to coordinate with South Korea to "ensure readiness" and deter future aggression from North Korea, the White House said on Monday.

This is not good.

Two Koreas Snarl At Each Other as Tensions Rise

SEOUL/BEIJING (Reuters) - South Korea on Monday announced steps to tighten the vice on the North's already stumbling economy in punishment for sinking one of its navy ships, with both sides stepping up their war-like rhetoric.
The United States, which backs Seoul, warned that the situation was "highly precarious.

Neither Korea can militarily defeat the other. They both understand this. This is a tempest in a teapot.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Neither Korea can militarily defeat the other. They both understand this. This is a tempest in a teapot.
not exactly

S. korea (BY ITS SELF) could easliy be defeated, and N. Korea knows it the only way its a stalemate/or better, is with the UN's or US's help

N. korea has the military mite. S. korea has the numbers (n 24 million to s 50 million)

Old 05-24-2010, 02:01 PM

329 posts, read 201,865 times
How many of those milliions of NK soldiers would really fight for their dictator? Remember Gulf I they all threw in the towel.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
North Korea has one of the top 5 militarys in the world. Over a million soldiers.
I am certainly no fan of wars, and the U.S. could ill-afford one at the present time, but as I recall, during the first Gulf War, the Iraqi army was touted as the 3rd largest in the world. Being rated as number 5 in the grand scheme of things doesn't seem to mean much.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:05 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
North Korea has one of the top 5 militarys in the world. Over a million soldiers.
I'm reminded of a joke that was current after Gulf War I.

In 100 hours or so, Saddam Hussein managed to take the fifth largest army in the world, and turn it into the second largest army in Iraq.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I am certainly no fan of wars, and the U.S. could ill-afford one at the present time, but as I recall, during the first Gulf War, the Iraqi army was touted as the 3rd largest in the world. Being rated as number 5 in the grand scheme of things doesn't seem to mean much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I'm reminded of a joke that was current after Gulf War I.

In 100 hours or so, Saddam Hussein managed to take the fifth largest army in the world, and turn it into the second largest army in Iraq.
Both of these points are true, but with North Korea, there are some slight differences I believe.

Saddam was fighting in a desert, with troops that didn't have anywhere near the supplies they needed.

NK is different. They've been getting ready for decades now, for a war with the United States. They have over a million troops, we have around 30 to 50,000 troops in South Korea. They could easily overrun us within a week. Its not like we can move hundreds of thousands of troops we don't have, into South Korea at a moments notice.

After an invasion had taken place, where would we launch our invasion from, China? You don't really think China is going to let us launch an attack from their soil do you?

We'd have to put together an invasion force in Japan, if they'll have us, amass a fleet, troops, supplies, and everything else, while NK would prepare for an invasion.

Kim Jung Ill knows damned well he can do this right now. Likely, the United States would go to the UN, try and get a security council vote, and international support, which would take months, while 10's of thousands of our troops could be held hostage.

Iraq and North Korea are very different animals.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:27 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times
May 25 (Bloomberg) --South Korea broadcast a pop song extolling freedom of choice and a warning on the dangers of overeating into North Korea, ending a six-year moratorium on propaganda in retaliation for the sinking of a warship.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Ok..you've just made me turn white. My boyfriend's ship is the first that would respond.

Hang the Koreans.Let them fight their own ------ wars and leave our boys out of it!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies