Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

NK is different. They've been getting ready for decades now, for a war with the United States. They have over a million troops, we have around 30 to 50,000 troops in South Korea. They could easily overrun us within a week. Its not like we can move hundreds of thousands of troops we don't have, into South Korea at a moments notice.
I make no pretense of being a military expert but one has to wonder just how prepared DRK troops will actually be if a real war were to start. As you mention, the DRK has 1 million men in arms, but the Republic of South Korea has 500,000 on active duty and a reserve force of 3.5 million and the ROK forces are pretty professional by any standard. As for the 35,000 U.S. troops, they have never been considered sufficient enough to stop a DRK invasion, but what we lack in troops on the ground we more than make up for when it comes to air forces and naval units. I think that in a modern war, U.S. command and control, air suppression along with the ROK forces would result in a decided victory for the U.S and the ROK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I make no pretense of being a military expert but one has to wonder just how prepared DRK troops will actually be if a real war were to start. As you mention, the DRK has 1 million men in arms, but the Republic of South Korea has 500,000 on active duty and a reserve force of 3.5 million and the ROK forces are pretty professional by any standard. As for the 35,000 U.S. troops, they have never been considered sufficient enough to stop a DRK invasion, but what we lack in troops on the ground we more than make up for when it comes to air forces and naval units. I think that in a modern war, U.S. command and control, air suppression along with the ROK forces would result in a decided victory for the U.S and the ROK.
We learned the limitations of air superiority in Jungle environments during the first Korean and Vietnam war.

To easy to hide in the jungle.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:51 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
updated 1 hour, 29 minutes ago

The U.S. and South Korea are planning two major military exercises off the Korean Peninsula in a display of force intended "to deter future aggression" by North Korea, the White House said.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
There is no good solution for war against North Korea. There are 10 million people in Seoul. The number of deaths would be in the 10s of thousands within hours. Ultimately, the USFK would prevail because of superior technology, but it would get ugly quick.

I've been stationed in Korea twice and have visited the DMZ.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We learned the limitations of air superiority in Jungle environments during the first Korean and Vietnam war.

To easy to hide in the jungle.

We've upgraded a bit since Nam.

Take for example, this bad boy, the F-22 Raptor, introduced in 2005 and is quite likely the most dangerous fighter aircraft in the world:

In addition, Kim Jong Il is like Chavez, et al - a bratty, insecure kid that needs his hide tanned once to put him back in line.

North Korea would have their collective @sses handed to them so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

My only concern is that the current CIC has ZERO defense/military acumen and would have to defer to Gates and people of his ilk - yikes!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
There is no good solution for war against North Korea. There are 10 million people in Seoul. The number of deaths would be in the 10s of thousands within hours. Ultimately, the USFK would prevail because of superior technology, but it would get ugly quick.

I've been stationed in Korea twice and have visited the DMZ.

I've had many buddies from my USAF days over there, and many share your sentiment. But when you say "it would get ugly quick," does that include provision for a nuclear strike or just the collateral damage from a limited offensive (i.e. "old school" war methods)?

Thanks for your service, just curious.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
We've upgraded a bit since Nam.

Take for example, this bad boy, the F-22 Raptor, introduced in 2005 and is quite likely the most dangerous fighter aircraft in the world:

In addition, Kim Jong Il is like Chavez, et al - a bratty, insecure kid that needs his hide tanned once to put him back in line.

North Korea would have their collective @sses handed to them so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

My only concern is that the current CIC has ZERO defense/military acumen and would have to defer to Gates and people of his ilk - yikes!
Um, smart bombs only work when painted, or when guided by GPS.

If you can't see someone to paint them, and if you don't know the GPS coordinates, the air superiority is different.

This isn't the middle of the desert, where heat signatures show up well.

Oh, and the F22, is a air superiority weapon, ground attacks aren't really its specialty, just air to air combat.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 PM

329 posts, read 201,794 times
Roll the damn B2's off the runway and get to work.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Unless China steps in.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
I've had many buddies from my USAF days over there, and many share your sentiment. But when you say "it would get ugly quick," does that include provision for a nuclear strike or just the collateral damage from a limited offensive (i.e. "old school" war methods)?

Thanks for your service, just curious.

In addition to artillery rounds, nKorea Korea does have a variety of scuds that could reach anywhere in South Korea. I still wouldn't trust all of the Patriot missiles to stop their scuds.

If the s---t really hit the fan. I think we would probably do a preemptive strike with tactical nukes and not give them the chance to use theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies