Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Imported cars depress American wages
Imported clothes depress American wages
Imported food depress American wages
Outsourced call centers depress American wages
There are a lot of things that depress American wages. Why the concern over imported labor?
While I feel most don't consider it the main problem, I'm guessing it's more the straw that broke the camel's back. I see it more of a line in the sand that's been crossed and many are simply not willing to give up any more ground. As has been suggested, many are angry. Generally when someone goes into a tantrum, it's not one single thing but a series of events that cause one to unload on whoever was the last one to annoy them. It's not fair or logical but we must accept the reality that people tend to be that way no matter their political leanings and as irrational as such behavior may be it must be included in the equation if one expects any workable solution.

Sun Tsu happily gave virgins, food, horses, and whatnot to his enemies but when they demanded land, he sent their emissaries' heads back on pikes. While he recognized that the land was the key to power he'd also simply had enough and pushed back. While he could have just as easily said "No.", he instead went a bit extreme to make his point crystal clear.

While I'm not suggesting any action so extreme, I do think it's about time we stand our ground and make it clear that we've had enough of this nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And I wasn't fighting. I was just taking your comments and further developing the discussion.
No harm, no foul. Sometimes it's easy to misinterpret since we all have different ways of expressing ourselves.

It's probably me. I normally don't drink coffee but due to lack of sleep I've had 3 cups and I may be more than a bit wired.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
While I feel most don't consider it the main problem, I'm guessing it's more the straw that broke the camel's back. I see it more of a line in the sand that's been crossed and many are simply not willing to give up any more ground. As has been suggested, many are angry. Generally when someone goes into a tantrum, it's not one single thing but a series of events that cause one to unload on whoever was the last one to annoy them. It's not fair or logical but we must accept the reality that people tend to be that way no matter their political leanings and as irrational as such behavior may be it must be included in the equation if one expects any workable solution.

Sun Tsu happily gave virgins, food, horses, and whatnot to his enemies but when they demanded land, he sent their emissaries' heads back on pikes. While he recognized that the land was the key to power he'd also simply had enough and pushed back. While he could have just as easily said "No.", he instead went a bit extreme to make his point crystal clear.

While I'm not suggesting any action so extreme, I do think it's about time we stand our ground and make it clear that we've had enough of this nonsense.
Dr. Spock's counsel was to ignore those who are engaged in tantrums. The people who are upset about undocumented workers exaggerate the cost they imposed, ignore the taxes that most pay, and are really upset about their skin color.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Dr. Spock's counsel was to ignore those who are engaged in tantrums. The people who are upset about undocumented workers exaggerate the cost they imposed, ignore the taxes that most pay, and are really upset about their skin color.
Not to forget, a lot of the deluded actually think Mickey Mouse showed up to vote.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not to forget, a lot of the deluded actually think Mickey Mouse showed up to vote.
Maybe in Louisiana....

Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
Quote:

They cost taxpayers BILLIONS...
How much do people making 7.50-10.00$ an hour pay in taxes?
Do they use schools,roads,social programs??
Im not real good at math but not paying taxes yet using resources..
Sounds like a drain on the system.
Yes,Americans do that as well,but they are AMERICANS.
And the "Race Card" it might silence some folks but not me..
Or millions of americans.Many people of different ethnic and..
Belief systems are sick of this situation.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
While it may in fact be beneficial to ignore the tantrum of one small child, when adults collectively do it, it's called a riot and it's not particularly wise to ignore an angry mob. I'm sure a significant number of the headless French Aristocracy might tend to agree.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Any person who earns that low will usually spend nearly 100% of the income on purchasing items, for basic needs. That means, businesses benefit from it, and so do local/state government.

Assuming that a state like AZ has half million illegal immigrants (about 8% of the population). If AZ were to eliminate that populace from within its borders, you're looking at a substantial impact (and a domino effect) with businesses that they use, much less are employed by.

I can't find the source, but heard on NPR couple of weeks ago, that Texas lawmakers are wary of following AZ's approach after a study was released that losing all illegal immigrants would cost Texas about $16 billion/year.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
If this Country cannot survive without illegal immigration,we deserve to fail....

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Do they use schools,roads,social programs??
Im not real good at math but
I have to stop you here. All that you needed to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies