Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Why would Jesus want me to actually become poor so that I am now unable to help neither myself or anyone else? Makes no sense. And who is the one that decides how much money is "enough"?
Ah... He told you. And I told you too!

It's a matter of what's more important to you, if you're truly Christian. To what are you more committed, your earthly goods or your place in God's world as He would have us live? A true Christian would understand this.

Is that verse unfamiliar to you? What does your pastor say of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You remember the story of when Jesus was born?

The King (a leftie) was trying to have him and his family killed. It was a inn keeper (a capatalist) that risked certain execution if caught, that put them up for the evening. He didn't have a space in his regualar rooms. He couldn't even charge full price. The greedy little bastard let them stay for free.

The capatalist risked his own life for no monetary reward. There you go. The part of the Bible where God loves the capitalist.

Moral of the story= Capitalism good. Government= Evil.

It's also a good lesson in the value of private property rights. Something prgressives don't believe in. Go figure.
L O L... What an amazingly stupid analogy.

One "capatalist" didn't behave like a capitalist, and this is somehow a comprehensive religious defense of capitalism and private property rights? And where in the bible did it say that the King was a progressive liberal?

I hope for your sake that you're joking.

The funniest thing is that the entire core issue this thread raises - using God and religion to defend your self-serving politics, your self-serving economics - is ridiculous at best.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, I'll go look for the parts of the scripture where God says how much he loves rich, self-righteous right-wing capitalists.

Yeah because there are no rich, self-righteous LEFT wing capitalists. Ugh stop wasting my time with your nonsense.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Ah... He told you. And I told you too!

It's a matter of what's more important to you, if you're truly Christian. To what are you more committed, your earthly goods or your place in God's world as He would have us live? A true Christian would understand this.

Is that verse unfamiliar to you? What does your pastor say of it?

What verse? You have not quoted one.

Here he clearly says that if you do not put your welth above Him and you are willing to give it all away you will be rewarded a hundred fold. He does not want us poor just not worshiping our wealth.

Quote:
Mark 10:17-31 (King James Version)

17And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
18And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
19Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
20And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
21Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
22And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
23And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
24And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
26And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
27And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
28Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.
29And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
30But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

31But many that are first shall be last; and the last first.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
The best parts are:
they can lie, cheat, deceive others, hate others, attack nations, sanction oppression, actively promote injustice, practice selfish greed, bear false witness,
and consider themselves as forgiven for everything!

So don't let the imposters fool you. Christianity died on the cross. What we have in America are a bunch of mean spirited, anti social, self-righteous phonies that call themselves christians.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:57 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Yeah because there are no rich, self-righteous LEFT wing capitalists. Ugh stop wasting my time with your nonsense.
There are. But they don't go around and thump their Bibles in support of what they do. And that's the whole point here - hypocrisy.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
L O L... What an amazingly stupid analogy.

One "capatalist" didn't behave like a capitalist, and this is somehow a comprehensive religious defense of capitalism and private property rights? And where in the bible did it say that the King was a progressive liberal?

I hope for your sake that you're joking.

The funniest thing is that the entire core issue this thread raises - using God and religion to defend your self-serving politics, your self-serving economics - is ridiculous at best.

What is wrong with my analogy?

The government was trying to kill Jesus.

A private businessman saved his life. That's a fact.

So what is wrong with my analogy again?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 PM

217 posts, read 125,809 times
I just wanted to point out 1. I am a real christian not a judeo christian 2. I am not a conservative conservatives want to conserve the kind of government we have now I do not. Thank you for your time.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:20 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Faith and common sense.

Liberals confuse federal enforced confiscation and redistribution of wealth with charity. In fact, such actions are not charitable and designed to enslave a componant of the population to obtain a permanent constituency. Nothing could be more anti-Christian. Further, the perpetual attempts of the left to demonize and insult those who believe in God tends to drive those with any sense of faith away from the left. To the leftist, the state is the source of thier salvation and faith. To Christians, God is supreme to any political philosophy, and putting one's faith in the supremecy of the state is misguided.
Good post! You could also say that us Christians look to Jesus as the source of our salvation. The liberals look to the government to save them. Jesus believed that we should work to make a living. Read II Thesalonians where Paul talks about not living an idle life. Liberals believe that the government will provide all that we need. Jesus says that He will provide all that we need. Some liberals even believe that our president is a god. Christians believe in Jesus as Lord.

Jesus does teach CHARITY and not forced redistribution of wealth. Forced redistribution of wealth is STEALING. Remember the 10 commandments. Charity is you choosing to give and help the poor. Jesus teaches us to "give and it will be given unto you." Jesus also teaches us to "Love our neighbor as ourselves." When the government is taking your wealth, then you really can't give as Jesus commanded.

For those who think that Christians can do whatever you want and not pay the consequences they are mistaken. The Bible does teach that there are consequences to sin and that we pay those consequences while we are here on Earth. The bible also teaches us that we need to confess our sins and we will be forgiven.

A Christian would not support bailing out a bank who gave toxic loans to customers. A Christian would say that the bank needs to pay the consequences for their greed and fail.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Progressives also work through their churches and other national and international bodes like Church World Service Church World Service : Home
Good for them! But they have to make it all political at the same time, don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies