Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:31 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I too used to believe that the draft would be a very good thing for this country, especially the black community, if every male at age 18 either had to be on their way to college or starting a business or serving in the military, the amount of black males in prison would drop significantly and they would come out with skills and discipline and a sense of accomplishment. It would help our country to have skilled well trained men of all races. On the surface the draft may look like a very good thing for our country, but in reality it would be detrimental to our military, we cannot turn our armed services into a social program and we do not want to fill our fighting forces with people who are there because they have to be not because they want to be! As long as we have brave, patriotic, young men joining out of a sense of duty and honor we will never need a draft!
The draft would only increase the population of neighboring countries, lol.

What we really need to do is adopt the same policy Israel has. Two years, man or woman, right out of school. It would solve oh so many problems with American youth, and make our military stronger than ever. Let's not forget about the "chickenhawk" Republicans with their SUV ribbons spouting off about "support our troops". Their definition of "support" will change when their child is in the military, and on the front lines.

As for me, if I were 18 and somebody tried to draft me for THIS "war"....
I'd be shooting at the people coming to get me, before I got on a plane to Iraq to fight for the poor management in the executive branch. No thanks.

~T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 12:26 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I'm sorry, my kids are all in the military. I'm a boomer. They're doing what they need to do. My son is stationed in Al-Habbineya. 15 miles from Falujah.

You think what? The kids of us baby boomers is not doing enough?

I thank your family for standing up for what you believe in....God bless America and Support the Troops.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I thank your family for standing up for what you believe in....God bless America and Support the Troops.
That you. I did my part, now it's up to them.

As I've always said. Bash the Government, but don't bash my troops.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:42 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,305 times
I thank anyone for standing up for what they believe in as well, but, if you have a draft, what happens to those forced to fight a war they don't support? Do they get to stand up for what they believe in without judgment or jail time?

I am opposed to any draft. If you want to fight, go ahead, it's your choice. If you support this or other wars, feel free to die a "hero". But don't disparage those who feel differently, who believe war isn't the answer. The draft removes free will from the equation and is intolerable. Forced service is slavery anyway you slice it.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:54 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I am a Navy veteran and was decorated for actions during Desert Storm. That was justified- in comparison to this war - we stopped another country from invading a sovereign nation...which is what we are doing now. Two of my brothers have served in Iraq. I am proud of them for their achievements. It irks me that people imply that just because somebody understands that this war was started under false pretenses and continues to get worse each year that we remain quagmired there - that that person is somehow unpatriotic or unsupportive of our troops. Especially when it comes from people that have never served or sacrificed anything personally. Wanting to save our troops from gettng sent over to be blown up in a pointless exercise is not being unsupportive.
How's "the surge" going?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I think it's time to wake up the masses. I just posted in the apathy thread, and now realize that this is the answer.

I have no children, but that's not why I'm in favor of the draft. I think it's necessary to wake up Americans. Only when Americans feel threatened and everyone's kids are on the line, randomly, will they take action.

I'm appalled at the youth today. They are all so darned busy with their MySpace and their IPods to even be in touch with reality. At least I was on the tail of the Boomers, so I have some grip on reality.

What has happened here? I just don't get it. Did their Boomer parents spoil them to the extent they have no care for the greater good and their future? Notice how it was a late 40 something who was the icon for the anti-war movement? Come to think of it, in my world, I only seem to see 40 somethings (or maybe some really enlightened 30 somethings) doing anything to speak out against the status quo.

I just don't know what's happened. I have several neices and nephews in their 20s who all voted for Bush. Don't they realize the crushing national debt is on their plates to pay? It boggles my mind.
You can be the first one to go buddy. Lets see how much you like war.

Quote:
I'm appalled at the youth today. They are all so darned busy with their MySpace and their IPods to even be in touch with reality.
Who cares. If that is what they enjoy doing then leave them alone. WTF is wrong you man, you get all up up tight about people enjoying their life? Even to the extent that the draft should be reinstated? You are seriously messed up dude, seriously. You need medical treatment or something because you are not thinking straight. You know we have an all voluntary army so people like yourself can go fight and die for some worthless oil profits.

Oh yea, and for the national debt, don't worry we will end up paying. Once the dollar collapses and we loose all our spending power to china and the rest of the world. The dollar is already on the brink. Why do you think Bush is preparing for the next, "emergency" he damn well knows what is going to happen. In fact, he seems to be trying to make it happen faster seeing as much we have spent on the Iraq war.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:46 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,842 times
I think a draft would be good even if it was for only 2 years of service like many countries. Certainly would make a lot of people grow up and appreciate the price paid by so many for so long to allow them to say things so ignorant and misinformed. Think without war America wouldn't even be here.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I am a Navy veteran and was decorated for actions during Desert Storm. That was justified- in comparison to this war - we stopped another country from invading a sovereign nation...which is what we are doing now. Two of my brothers have served in Iraq. I am proud of them for their achievements. It irks me that people imply that just because somebody understands that this war was started under false pretenses and continues to get worse each year that we remain quagmired there - that that person is somehow unpatriotic or unsupportive of our troops. Especially when it comes from people that have never served or sacrificed anything personally. Wanting to save our troops from gettng sent over to be blown up in a pointless exercise is not being unsupportive.
How's "the surge" going?
I can't tell, are you fussing at me ? I'm also a Veteran and no matter what, I will always support the Men and Women that give their time and some their lives for what they believe in...
And I've never heard of a soldier being able to choose what war he wants to or not to fight in....I too have had family in Iraq. I also had several family members serve in Vietnam .. I was in the Army durning Vietnam but went to South Korea instead of Vietnam. I guess that time does not count ?

Old 06-16-2007, 02:47 PM

451 posts, read 835,561 times
Default bily4

Quote:
How's "the surge" going?
Lol ask Harry Reid the head cheerleader of the America must be defeated crowd who called it a failure before it was even started.

BBC: US Iraq troop surge 'starts now' (Troops now are in Place) 6/15/2007

"Lt Col Garver told the BBC News website that the strategy could only now start to work as had been planned.

Moderator cut: ...

BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | US Iraq troop surge 'starts now'

"BAGHDAD (AFP) - US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said Saturday that a troop surge in Iraq is only starting to have its full impact and that it is too soon to tell whether conditions will be ripe by September for decisions on US force levels.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Gates says Iraq troop surge only starting to bite - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Wanting to save our troops from gettng sent over to be blown up in a pointless exercise is not being unsupportive.[/quote]One thing i'm sure we could agree on is I'm glad you are not in Iraq fighting on the American side now.

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 01:56 AM..

Old 06-16-2007, 03:08 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,718 times
Heres a novel idea....next time a corporation decides a
war is needed so their stockholders can profit, those
who support that Corporation can go fight for them.
Leave the rest of us out of it. Very simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies