Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,619,881 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I had an automated poll phone call from some organization called the 'BCC something something, I don't quite remember. Anyhoo, one of the questions was if I were against allowing 'homosexuals' in the military, in submarines, in latrines, in the showers and in the barracks. I swear the voice was so foreboding I'm surprised that they didn't have thunder and screams going on during the question. It was absolutely ridiculous!! As if there aren't homosexuals serving on subs right this very minute! I hate to say this to clearly sexually paranoid people but if one has ever taken a shower at the gym it is very likely a homosexual has seen your naughty bits. Somehow everyone has survived, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Since when do homosexuals not have the ability to serve the military?

Apples to oranges comparison.

I live in a large military town ----- the straight cols and majs that I know can bring their spouses to events, their spouses can get medical care on the base and shop on the base as well. Gay soldiers don't have that right. Straight airmen can talk about their sweeties -- gay airmen cannot.

Apples to apples my friend.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,331,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It isn't Obama's job to "listen" to them. It is their job to listen to him. He is their supreme commander. He gives the orders and they follow. BTW they were all opposed when blacks were integrated too.

If you're running a successful business you should welcome and accept feedback from your subordinates. They are the ones out in the field so their feedback is valuable. It's kind of like a successful business management 101 type of thing. Maybe Barry Soetoro misssed that one at one of the many fine universities that he purportedly attended.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,021,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Gays and lesbians are already in the military services and their comrades probably know who is who. Are there problems? Maybe, in some cases. Maybe not, in others. Nevertheless, it is imprudent for Obama to ignore the advice of his top military advisers. They are the ones who are in a better position to know the real situation than Obama will ever be since he has never served in the military . It is people who have never been in the military who are the ones pushing hardest for repeal of DADT and they are the ones least likely to know what the real situation is on the inside. The primary mission of the military is national defense. It is not a social club that needs to be "integrated".
Very good points. Why have Advisors, when you are just going to ignore them? And, lets keep the emphasis on the real job of the military;i.e., defending our country; and not do anything that might compromise it. Again, the opinions/advice of the Top Military Advisors need to be respected.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,944,977 times
Hello, what's the problem?

Congress to Vote on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

The House is expected to vote as early as today on a proposal that would repeal "don't ask, don't tell." Under the bill, which would give the military as much time as it wants to lift ban, the president, defense secretary, and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff must first certify the new policy won't hurt the military's ability to fight. The Senate Armed Services Committee is also expected to take up an identical measure as early as today;

Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,944,977 times
Rock Hudson had his first gay "encounter" on a US battleship in the Pacific in WW2. The US still won the war.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I live in a large military town ----- the straight cols and majs that I know can bring their spouses to events, their spouses can get medical care on the base and shop on the base as well. Gay soldiers don't have that right. Straight airmen can talk about their sweeties -- gay airmen cannot.

Apples to apples my friend.

The purpose of the military is to defend our country; shopping and "sweet talk" are not really why we have the military...

And, again, let the Top Military Advisors be heard. They can best provide information on what will make for the best National Defense.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Rock Hudson had his first gay "encounter" on a US battleship in the Pacific in WW2. The US still won the war.

TMI

Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,180,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It isn't Obama's job to "listen" to them. It is their job to listen to him. He is their supreme commander. He gives the orders and they follow. BTW they were all opposed when blacks were integrated too.
It IS his job to listen to them. Obama has never been in the military. He doesn't know squat what military life is like and to ignore the input of his top advisers is foolish.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
The purpose of the military is to defend our country; shopping and "sweet talk" are not really why we have the military...

And, again, let the Top Military Advisors be heard. They can best provide information on what will make for the best National Defense.

Do you believe that there are no gays in our military? That there never has been?
Further, do you believe that the straight members of our military do not have families? That their families have the right to live on base, shop on base and receive on base medical care?

Yes, the purpose of our military is to keep our country safe. But lets not pretend that the military is not populated by people --- men and women, gay and straight, christians and jews and muslims and hindus and even atheists. Truly, the US military is a great example of how people from very diverse backgrounds can come together and become a cohesive unit. Don't be fooled into thinking that our military is a homogenous group of straight white baptist rednecks. That is doing our service men and women a grave disservice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies