Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 AM

14,250 posts, read 17,851,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I remember when as a young man, I went to the doc and there was one or two docs in the office, maybe a nurse, and one office worker who wore many hats.
Now I go to the doc and it's still one or two docs and maybe a nurse with at least 4 office personnel, who seem to be perpetually eating and expanding, for each doc. Gotta wonder.
Quite. The amount of administration doctors have to deal with is crazy. So is the system. For example, when my wife had a surgical procedure why does she/insurance get separate bills from half a dozen different doctors plus the facilty plus this and plus that. Surely the admin can be streamlined and made much more efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,898,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'm also predicting the government will try to make this practice illegal as it will claim it's "discriminatory" towards people who were forced to purchase insurance in the first place.
God, I hope the government doesn't ruin something else that's good like this. My roommate went to one of these doctors the other day. He said it reminded him of the doctors when he saw when he was growing up; in other words, there was a *much* better physician-patient relationship. My roommate had some time to talk with the doctor and the doctor said he basically got fed up with working for the insurance company. Before he turned his practice into cash only, the insurance dictated a large portion of how his practice was run; he couldn't spend as much time as he would like with patients b/c he was under constant pressure to met a certain quota that was prescribed by the insurance. Working in the health-care profession myself, I have first-hand experience of how, in large way, it is the insurance plans that are dictating a patient's care, not the doctor. It is disgusting and frustrating.

I really am counting on these cash-only doctors to return to patient-focused care instead of insurance-focused care.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:14 PM

29,936 posts, read 18,498,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
so goes your HIPAA! This is VERY INTERESTING!

HIPPA is only for healthcare PROVIDERS discussing personal patient information. A patient can say whatever they want.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
If you are so wealthy then how about you buy some of those homeless people some nice tents and some peanut butter?

Quote:
Actually, it costs less to go to him than it does to go to a provider in my network in the end. I'm also a broke grad student. Well, I'm actually somewhat wealthy but my current income is low.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,539,120 times
Cash only clinics would be great for fairly healthy people.... but unfortunately, the unhealthy people will still not be able to afford health care.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
If you are so wealthy then how about you buy some of those homeless people some nice tents and some peanut butter?
Uh, how about I've done this for years while I was paid six figures through charities I've contributed to? As far as my present wealth is concerned, it's principally there to preserve my retirement and sanity as I complete my Ph. D. program, without encountering financial stress.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Cash only clinics would be great for fairly healthy people.... but unfortunately, the unhealthy people will still not be able to afford health care.
For unhealthy people, a doctor with a good relationship with their patient may help the patient become healthier through solid consultation services and gearing towards a healthier lifestyle as opposed to simply drugging someone up. Cash-only is actually cheaper than insured care in the long run for myself.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,490,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's a great idea for clinic settings. It would be interesting seeing people take the money they could have paid into premiums and keep it around long enough for inpatient stays. Considering the savings rate of most people, 401(k) or regular, it's unlikely they could afford the $30k for a joint replacement (or for emergency care).
joint replacement and emergency care would be stuff covered in an insurance policy.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,539,120 times
Quote:
For unhealthy people, a doctor with a good relationship with their patient may help the patient become healthier through solid consultation services and gearing towards a healthier lifestyle as opposed to simply drugging someone up. Cash-only is actually cheaper than insured care in the long run for myself.
Because a healthier lifestyle can cure Gaucher's, or Fabry's or MS or Parkinsons?

For you, yes it would be cheaper than insured care, but for many people it won't work.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,595,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
HIPPA is only for healthcare PROVIDERS discussing personal patient information. A patient can say whatever they want.
well, that's entirely up to them then ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies