U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,999,298 times

Advertisements

Good it's about time Obama stepped up to the plate and did something. Though 6 months isn't enough. There should be an indefinite moratorium on drilling in deep water.

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Escalating his administration's response to the disastrous Gulf oil spill, President Barack Obama plans to announce Thursday that a moratorium on new deepwater oil drilling permits will be continued for six months while a presidential commission investigates, a White House aide said. Controversial lease sales off the coast of Alaska will be delayed pending the results of the commission's investigation, and lease sales planned in the Western Gulf and off the coast of Virginia will be canceled, the aide said, speaking on condition of anonymity ahead of a midday Obama news conference.
Obama to extend offshore drilling ban - Gulf oil spill- msnbc.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 AM

206 posts, read 185,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Good it's about time Obama stepped up to the plate and did something. Though 6 months isn't enough. There should be an indefinite moratorium on drilling in deep water.

Obama to extend offshore drilling ban - Gulf oil spill- msnbc.com
Are all the other countries going to ban it also? There are a few other countries drilling in the Gulf too, if they have a spill it won't matter if the US suspended their drilling.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 AM

23,832 posts, read 21,990,788 times
I'm not surprised. In the annals of history, I believe its possible that this oil spill will be looked at as a crucial turning point in the decline of America. As we are already seeing, I believe the spill will create a chasm in attitude and appetite for energy independency via our own domestic fossil fuels, and the result will be an all out call for sustainable energy sources. After billions of dollars are put toward this effort, I believe that a failed endeavor in this arena will demonstrate that a nation cannot function solely on wind, solar, and hydro power for energy needs. The result, I believe, will be a nation that will be behind the curve as as geopolitical turmoil in the Middle East cuts off what remains of our oil supply lines. The result will be a World War. Wind, water, and sun are nice, but realistically this nation is decades, if not a century away from any sort of sustainable energy grid.

Far fetched? Possibly. But a knee-jerk reaction leading to an eventual ban on oil exploration could indeed bring this nations to its knees.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,999,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm not surprised. In the annals of history, I believe its possible that this oil spill will be looked at as a crucial turning point in the decline of America. As we are already seeing, I believe the spill will create a chasm in attitude and appetite for energy independency via our own domestic fossil fuels, and the result will be an all out call for sustainable energy sources. After billions of dollars are put toward this effort, I believe that this endeavor will demonstrate that a nation cannot function solely on wind, solar, and hydro power for our energy needs. The result, I believe, will be a nation that will be behind the curve as as geopolitical turmoil in the Middle East cuts off what remains of our oil supply lines. The result will be a World War. Wind, water, and sun are nice, but realistically this nation is decades, if not a century away from any sort of sustainable energy grid.

Far fetched? Possibly. But a knee-jerk reaction leading to an eventual ban on oil exploration could indeed bring this nations to its knees.
World war? Bring the country to it's knees?

Whoa!! Someone's has been spending too much time at Beck's chalkboard.

I hope this is a tipping point....that will be looked upon by history as the time we finally began to turn our backs on Big Oil..

Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 AM

11,446 posts, read 15,503,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm not surprised. In the annals of history, I believe its possible that this oil spill will be looked at as a crucial turning point in the decline of America. As we are already seeing, I believe the spill will create a chasm in attitude and appetite for energy independency via our own domestic fossil fuels, and the result will be an all out call for sustainable energy sources. After billions of dollars are put toward this effort, I believe that a failed endeavor in this arena will demonstrate that a nation cannot function solely on wind, solar, and hydro power for energy needs. The result, I believe, will be a nation that will be behind the curve as as geopolitical turmoil in the Middle East cuts off what remains of our oil supply lines. The result will be a World War. Wind, water, and sun are nice, but realistically this nation is decades, if not a century away from any sort of sustainable energy grid.

Yes, Americans are behind the curve for lack of efficient use of energy. Too much oil is wasted on American vanities.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
World war? Bring the country to it's knees?

Whoa!! Someone's has been spending too much time at Beck's chalkboard.
I don't watch Beck. Seen a few tidbits, but its been months since he's graced my TV screen.

Oil is the yellow brick road to American prosperity. Think about it. Without it, what do we have. Zero. Nadda. Nothing. Who controls the oil output? Certainly not the United States of America. Why do you think the US takes such a soft stance on Iran? Because Iran could make life miserable for the United States via oil.

Illusions of infinite paradise in the United States is a dangerous mindset.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Yes, Americans are behind the curve for lack of efficient use of energy. Too much oil is wasted on American vanities.
I don't disagree at all. American vanities have been fueled prosperity, and the same vanities could be our ultimate downfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies