Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I'm also good at spotting blatant hypocrisy.

In fact, I'm often paid to do it.
I'm waiting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Finally...how can he be against AZ's immigration law when it is the mirror image of the feds who have done nothing to enforce? Got a thought on this one?
It doesn't mirror federal law. Care to show me which federal immigration law allows complaints, so long as race is not the only factor. Even if it did mirror federal law, it would be unconstitutional, states can't make laws affecting federal issues.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner71 View Post
I have a problem with the WAY YOU PRESENTED your post. It's misleading.
I dont have time to debate what he has and has not said, im merely pointing out how misleading your post is.

Do you feel your title is misleading?
No, not at all...I wrote what I heard him say while listening between his lines and added my own translations. I am sorry you did not pick up on that.

Again if the way you heard it is different than mine, I want to read it.

This thread was not started to debate what I wrote, it was started to debate what you think about what Obama had to say that may be different than what I heard him say.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
It doesn't mirror federal law. Care to show me which federal immigration law allows complaints, so long as race is not the only factor. Even if it did mirror federal law, it would be unconstitutional, states can't make laws affecting federal issues.
That's debatable because states absolutely have a right to make laws to protect themselves and NO ONE can say that the illegal immigration problem in AZ is good for AZ.

Illegal immigrants cost AZ 1.3 Billion annually. How is that good?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
I am asking if anyone heard it differently than I did and if you did, lets hear how.
I don't know how you interpret what Obama said, but this is exactly what he did say:

Obama on BP oil spill: "I'm fully engaged." Press conference transcript - Lynn Sweet

"Now let me make one broader point, though, about energy. The fact that oil companies now have to go a mile underwater and then drill another three miles below that in order to hit oil tells us something about the direction of the oil industry. Extraction is more expensive, and it is going to be inherently more risky.

And so that's part of the reason you never heard me say, "Drill, baby, drill," because we can't drill our way out of the problem. It may be part of the mix as a bridge to a transition to new technologies and new energy sources, but we should be pretty modest in understanding that the easily accessible oil has already been sucked up out of the ground. And as we are moving forward, the technology gets more complicated, the oil sources are more remote, and that means that there's probably going to end up being more risk. And we as a society are going to have to make some very serious determinations in terms of what risks are we willing to accept, and that's part of what the commission, I think, has to -- is going to have to look at.

I grew up in Hawaii, where the ocean is sacred. And when you see birds flying around with -- with oil all over their feathers and turtles dying and -- you know, that's -- that doesn't just speak to the immediate economic quences (sic) -- consequences of this; this speaks to, you know, how are we caring for this incredible bounty that we have?"
- President Obama

I interpret that as "We need to get off of oil".
As I listened to this part of the Press Conference, I thought; Well said, Mr. President

Now if only the "drill baby, drill crowd" could understand it
as well

Old 05-27-2010, 02:26 PM

202 posts, read 187,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Another perspective...

The US Supreme Court virtually gave open license to profiling in enforcing immigration laws in its 1975 ruling that "Mexican appearance" was a valid consideration in stopping anyone to verify their citizenship status. Though subsequent court rulings held that law enforcement could not stop someone solely because of their Mexican ancestry, the "valid consideration of appearance" as a factor still stood. In other words race can be considered a relevant factor in making immigration stops. The countless lawsuits challenging profiling based on appearance have crashed hard against the near impossibility of proving that a border or street stop and arrest is made based on race. Despite its pristine, sanitized race neutral wording, the Arizona law doesn't change that. Enforcement efforts are not aimed at illegal immigrants from Canada, Europe, Asia, the Caribbean or even other Latin American countries. The target is illegal immigrants from Mexico, or as the Supreme Court put it those of "Mexican appearance."

Comprede now... if it looks like a duck, it is a duck..lol..

Old 05-27-2010, 02:28 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
I am for drilling just not "drill baby drill". Is there a difference and why try to poke the eye of the pig?

I am against the AZ immigration law (even though it mirrors federal law that we are still doing nothing about, 1200 pencil pushers).

I was aware of "Bush's MMS where nothing like this ever happened, but we have been too slow to respond.

I still have not covered up the Sestak problem but I will get back to you when I have.
It is pretty obvious you did not hear what he said. If you did hear, then you were obviously unable to comprehend, perhaps the sentence structure to was too complicated.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
I am for drilling just not "drill baby drill". Is there a difference and why try to poke the eye of the pig?

I am against the AZ immigration law (even though it mirrors federal law that we are still doing nothing about, 1200 pencil pushers).

I was aware of "Bush's MMS where nothing like this ever happened, but we have been too slow to respond.

I still have not covered up the Sestak problem but I will get back to you when I have.
That's what I heard as well.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't know how you interpret what Obama said, but this is exactly what he did say:

Obama on BP oil spill: "I'm fully engaged." Press conference transcript - Lynn Sweet

"Now let me make one broader point, though, about energy. The fact that oil companies now have to go a mile underwater and then drill another three miles below that in order to hit oil tells us something about the direction of the oil industry. Extraction is more expensive, and it is going to be inherently more risky.

And so that's part of the reason you never heard me say, "Drill, baby, drill," because we can't drill our way out of the problem. It may be part of the mix as a bridge to a transition to new technologies and new energy sources, but we should be pretty modest in understanding that the easily accessible oil has already been sucked up out of the ground. And as we are moving forward, the technology gets more complicated, the oil sources are more remote, and that means that there's probably going to end up being more risk. And we as a society are going to have to make some very serious determinations in terms of what risks are we willing to accept, and that's part of what the commission, I think, has to -- is going to have to look at.

I grew up in Hawaii, where the ocean is sacred. And when you see birds flying around with -- with oil all over their feathers and turtles dying and -- you know, that's -- that doesn't just speak to the immediate economic quences (sic) -- consequences of this; this speaks to, you know, how are we caring for this incredible bounty that we have?"
- President Obama

I interpret that as "We need to get off of oil".
As I listened to this part of the Press Conference, I thought; Well said, Mr. President

Now if only the "drill baby, drill crowd" could understand it
as well
He definitely said he was for drilling... I am again, just asking, what is the difference between being for drilling and "drill baby drill". Can you answer that?

Here is a link where he says this, "Mr Obama stopped short of saying he regretted his decision to expand offshore drilling earlier in the year".

We may have to wait for a video to find where he said that he was "for drilling". If you listened you know he said it.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It is pretty obvious you did not hear what he said. If you did hear, then you were obviously unable to comprehend, perhaps the sentence structure to was too complicated.
Amazing how much you have added to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies