Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,183,926 times

Advertisements

Cautiously...

[SIZE=6]'Top kill' effort succeeds in blocking oil leak, Coast Guard admiral says[/SIZE]

Officials are cautionary but say drilling fluid has blocked oil and gas temporarily. Engineers plan to begin pumping in cement and then will seal the well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,056,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Cautiously...

[SIZE=6]'Top kill' effort succeeds in blocking oil leak, Coast Guard admiral says[/SIZE]

Officials are cautionary but say drilling fluid has blocked oil and gas temporarily. Engineers plan to begin pumping in cement and then will seal the well.
While this is indeed good news I still am of the opinion that BP was for over a month more interested in saving the well than corking it up.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:03 PM

329 posts, read 201,309 times
Saving the well for what? Do you really think the feds would ever let them try and open the same well?? Rig is gone and leak plugged. Now the oil is still down there so get another rig out there and tap that sweet crude.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,571,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
While this is indeed good news I still am of the opinion that BP was for over a month more interested in saving the well than corking it up.
Could be.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,167,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldTheBeans View Post
Saving the well for what? Do you really think the feds would ever let them try and open the same well?? Rig is gone and leak plugged. Now the oil is still down there so get another rig out there and tap that sweet crude.
Not going to happen anytime soon if the President has his way ...

Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,039,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
According to Obama, BP has done everything at his direction, he's the one in charge, calling the shots. Do you think Obama was more concerned with saving the well than stopping the flow?

He's also taking 'credit' for the abysmal response and clean up effort. I'm kind of surprised he put himself out there like that....although he did say 'we' instead of 'me, me, me I, I, I' as he does usually. I guess this is how he spreads the blame around.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:19 PM

46,861 posts, read 25,803,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Good. It's pretty obvious that either the technology isn't up to the task, or the industry got away with cutting corners. Or both.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,849,967 times
I just posted this feed, which I assume is live;

Live video link from the ROV monitoring the damaged riser

Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,849,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldTheBeans View Post
Still leaking.

BP Live Feed @ Top Kill Site

Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,183,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Good...but it just seems like common sense that should have been in place all along.

There was a safety device in place on this well but too many problems were dismissed before it blew. If the powers in charge would have just slowed their roll and paid attention to the problems, I do not think this would have ever happened.

They need to be hit hard in the pocket book without raping the American public to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies