Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I was watching Olbermann and apparently straight men are great sleepers because some conservative pundit was afraid that gay soldiers will try to fellate their straight comrades in their sleep. lol........

Thank God that the majority of the American public supports repeal. This is luckily not a case where the fringe is being heard. Thumbs up to America for not falling for bs like that this time.
it may be nice that the 'majority' of the american 'public' supports repealing....the fact is the MAJORITY of the MILITARY does NOT support repealing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:13 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it may be nice that the 'majority' of the american 'public' supports repealing....the fact is the MAJORITY of the MILITARY does NOT support repealing it

The majority of the military needs to get over it.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The majority of the military needs to get over it.
so the actual people who will have to deal with the logistics of it should 'get over it'...eh

DADT was the best solution to a big problem

before DADT gays were not allowed in at all

now with DADT they are,, just dont advertise

repealing it will be a logistaical nightmare, ..look at the rules within the barraks for 'single' soldiers...you are not ALLOWED to have someone of the OPPOSITE sex in the same room without leaving the door open at least a foot........look at the laterines there are male and female laterines (to include the SHOWERS).....also the RULES about family members being in the same chain of command (unit)

dont ASK, dont TELL was the best solution to a difficult problem, repealing it will be a big mistake

plus you are going to face the EO/EEO/SH/POSH complaints because its not about what that openly gay person can and cant do...its about how others FEEL

its just like a sexualy harrassment problem/issue...its not about what is or isnt DONE, its about how someone FEELS about it

its just like what was just taught in POSH class a couple of weeks ago:

you say 'come on guys' and there is a female in the group....sexual harrasment

you tell a co-worker a rauncy joke, she laughs...BUT the person in the OTHER CUBICLE is offended.....its an EO complaint

if they "allow' OPENLY gay...then ANYONE can say they FEEL, they were sexually harrassed (because BY DEFINATION it is about a FEELING (you know, you cant say, I didnt know, or it was only a joke) and PROSICUTE the 'openly' gay.

DADT was the best choice, now 'openly gays' will be prosicuted and discharged due to subversion of the military, and sexal harrasment (did you know a sexual harrasment CONVICTION , will get you on Megans list too)

yep, 'get over it'....whatever

Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Very good news indeed. If we keep working at it, we just may someday live up to our stated belief that "All men are created equal"

Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Congratulations. Nowhere in that rambling post was a coherent point.

DA, DT wasn't anything but government-sponsored discrimination. People in the military have been serving next to gay people for decades. Now, they just don't have to hide it.

Other than that, not much is going to change.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:24 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
On what do you base this belief? I know more military people by far than the average person does and the military people with whom I've talked to about DADT either don't care if it goes or stays or very much want it gone and for G&L to be able to serve openly.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:24 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I left the Navy in 07. I served on board subs. Look, I dont hate gay people. Their lifestyle im not thrilled about and find odd to say the least, but as long as they arent flamboyant and want to throw how gay they are in everyones face, I could care less.

Having said that, I would not want to be on board a sub serving with men who are gay. Technically, should they not have separate birthing/shower areas for gays verse straight? Sure, we know they wont, but If I know "Fred" is gay, whether I not he is "attracted" to me is a mute point, I wouldnt want to be in a berthing area with him, nor in the head with him.

And whats going to happen when a guy is drying off or whatever, and a known gay crew member purposely or accidentally "meat gazes"? Or a known gay man accidentally touches another straight crew member the wrong way? Sexual harassment? Beat down?

I dont think its the worst decision in the world, but it could get ugly. And frankly, im glad to not having to serve anymore. But that goes beyond this, but this would just be another reason I think I got out at the right time.
You have already served with gay men. Anything bad happen?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
As my Chief Petty Officer used to tell the enlisted troops, "Men you are here to defend democracy, not to practice it." The policies in the military are made by the civilians.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:02 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Only 2 Republicans can't look at themselves in the mirror tonight without getting sick.

I know 4 or 5 men in DC that won't be happy to see this vote. They wanted to do some surveying among the members of the military to see what the membership wanted to do. Oh well, there are a goodly number of Congresspersons who can take the place of those who want out because of this vote.

Those 4 or 5 are the top men in the various services who made their feelings known today, in case you don't know.

The only vote military members get is when they vote in elected representatives like the rest of the country.

I teach a course in the Air Force, and I work with about 100 different students each year. One of the subjects taugh is sexual harrasment, and the "gay" issue is always a topic. I do informal, just for the heck of it, polling to see how the students feel about gays openly serving. Often, the ENTIRE class feels they should be able to openly serve. If there are 1 or 2 hold-outs who disagree, they are usually criticized by the others for being so closed-minded.

I disagree with you. I think the large majority of younger military members want this policy passed. It is a generational thing too though, I think the younger generations are more OK with it... many think nothing of it at all...

A lot look at it like racial integration. When we first allowed blacks or hispanic in, there were so many people against it, who said it would never work... and folks... this wasn't that long ago. And now look- we survived, we adapted, we overcame, and we're better for it.

The new generations, of high school grads, who will be populating the military soon, think nothing of homosexuality--- it's accepted in culture now. High schoolers are having open same sex dating, relationships, prom dates... it's almost cool to be gay right now. As a culture, this is an inevitable destination that we are moving towards.

And MANY other countries have these policies. In most of Europe they have allowed openly gay military members for years!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
so the actual people who will have to deal with the logistics of it should 'get over it'...eh

DADT was the best solution to a big problem

before DADT gays were not allowed in at all

now with DADT they are,, just dont advertise

repealing it will be a logistaical nightmare, ..look at the rules within the barraks for 'single' soldiers...you are not ALLOWED to have someone of the OPPOSITE sex in the same room without leaving the door open at least a foot........look at the laterines there are male and female laterines (to include the SHOWERS).....also the RULES about family members being in the same chain of command (unit)

dont ASK, dont TELL was the best solution to a difficult problem, repealing it will be a big mistake

plus you are going to face the EO/EEO/SH/POSH complaints because its not about what that openly gay person can and cant do...its about how others FEEL

its just like a sexualy harrassment problem/issue...its not about what is or isnt DONE, its about how someone FEELS about it

its just like what was just taught in POSH class a couple of weeks ago:

you say 'come on guys' and there is a female in the group....sexual harrasment

you tell a co-worker a rauncy joke, she laughs...BUT the person in the OTHER CUBICLE is offended.....its an EO complaint

if they "allow' OPENLY gay...then ANYONE can say they FEEL, they were sexually harrassed (because BY DEFINATION it is about a FEELING (you know, you cant say, I didnt know, or it was only a joke) and PROSICUTE the 'openly' gay.

DADT was the best choice, now 'openly gays' will be prosicuted and discharged due to subversion of the military, and sexal harrasment (did you know a sexual harrasment CONVICTION , will get you on Megans list too)

yep, 'get over it'....whatever

I have a solution. Start listening to the training we get all the time. Stop telling rauncy jokes. Stop discriminating... problem solved.

There is no reason for gays to be discriminated against... if they are discriminated against, it is not their fault, it is the fault of the discriminator.

That's like saying, "You're a woman, you were discriminated against... you fault"...

Following your logic, we shouldn't allow women in the military because there still are elements of harrasment.

And we shouldn't allow short people in either, cuz they might get made fun of.

Oh yeah, and I overheard a guy with acne getting teased the other day at work... let's not allow them in either.

Logitically, it does present some challenges. But so did racial integration. We had wholly seperate black units at one point... ever hear of the Tuskegee Airmen? But that didn't stop us... we didn't say, "Hey, some people are uncomfortable sharing bathrooms with blacks... so let's never ever never never integrate!"

C'mon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies