U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM

75,574 posts, read 39,202,224 times

Advertisements

Name and the date of the first Black speaker of the US House of Representatives?
Date?

You may be surprised......
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM

15,390 posts, read 18,070,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
After reading thru the comments - let me say this - I am not afraid to say what I don't know. I have never been much on looking back far into history - I'm more of a today guy.

These guys on Congress are not normally mentioned - you get Carver, Parks, Truth, Tubman, etc.

Also been looking into ML King being conservative, Sen. Byrd calling him a troublemaker, and the Dems in government continuously wiretapping him. The wiretapping I knew - but I didn't know the details about how they (FBI) had to discount him.

So excuse me for posting info I was not not previously aware of - but I will probably do it again.
There's nothing wrong with not knowing something and kudos to you for saying it and doing something about it. History is so much more than boring stuff in the past--there is a direct relationship between what happened in the United States during the past ~235 years and what is happening today.

If you truly want to learn something, seek information from reputable sources and a wide variety of them. Beware of partisans from any mindset who claim to be discussing history when they're really advancing their point of view.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM

1,089 posts, read 571,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Once again out of all the Democrats serving in the Congress, Byrd is the sole whipping boy of Republicans.

Now that is sad.
They do this because they are racist themselves., they call him Robert "Sheets" Byrd. The pot calling the kettle black.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,408,197 times
Don't call me racist. Byrd was racist and was a progressive democrat. If I chose to dislike him for that so be it. It definately doesn't make me racist.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 PM

35,285 posts, read 18,738,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Did you participate in the black history month thread? I'm pretty sure this was discussed.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
I skimmed through the black history thread - which I kept up with for the first week or two in Feb.

First mention of Senator Revels came on Feb. 25th on page 22. First House member Rainey was mentioned on Feb. 28th. None of the others on my list were mentioned. So I will maintain that these guys are not common knowledge for their contributions.

I believe Texas will now be putting them in school textbooks.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 PM

1,089 posts, read 571,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Don't call me racist. Byrd was racist and was a progressive democrat. If I chose to dislike him for that so be it. It definately doesn't make me racist.
If the shoe fits - wear it.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
There's nothing wrong with not knowing something and kudos to you for saying it and doing something about it. History is so much more than boring stuff in the past--there is a direct relationship between what happened in the United States during the past ~235 years and what is happening today.

If you truly want to learn something, seek information from reputable sources and a wide variety of them. Beware of partisans from any mindset who claim to be discussing history when they're really advancing their point of view.
You are right about, finding reputable sources. Everything is so politicized you can't trust hardly anything.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:30 PM

469 posts, read 536,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Racist is the term liberals use when they don't have facts on their side. It means they give up. It's a compliment really.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
If the shoe fits - wear it.
Which is why the shoe fits Byrd as a racist.

-----------------------------

Here is a government paper from 1976 that details the wiretapping and attempted discrediting of ML King. Interesting stuff in there.

SUPPLEMENTARY DETAILED STAFF REPORTS ON INTELLIGENCE ACTIVITIES AND THE RIGHTS OF AMERICANS -DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., CASE STUDY

B. The FBI Plans Its Campaign To Discredit Dr. King:

December 23, 1963

On December 23, 1963, a nine-hour conference was held at FBI headquarters to discuss Martin Luther King. In attendance were Assistant Director Sullivan, Internal Security Section Chief Frederick Baumgardner, three other FBI headquarters officials, and two agents from the FBI's Atlanta Field Office.

A prepared list of twenty-one proposals was presented and discussed. The proposals raised the possibility of "using" ministers, "disgruntled" acquaintances, "aggressive" newsmen, "colored" agents, Dr. King's housekeeper, and even suggested using Dr. King's wife or "placing a good looking female plant in King's office." 222 An account of the meeting written by William Sullivan emphasized that the Bureau must take a "discreet approach" in developing information about Dr. King for use "at an opportune time in a counterintelligence move to discredit him." It was generally agreed that the Bureau should make use of "all available investigative techniques coupled with meticulous, planning, boldness, and ingenuity, tempered only with good judgment," [sic] but that "discretion must not reach the point of timidity."

Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 PM

9,845 posts, read 13,336,469 times
Passe Information to me a African American , but THANKS ANYWAYS.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies