Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times

Advertisements

Congress Goes on Spending Spree, Adding $230 Billion to National Debt - ABC News

Even as Congress adjourns for a week-long Memorial Day recess without extending unemployment benefits, it concludes a three-month spending spree that has added more than $230 billion to the national debt, most of it classified as "emergency" spending.

Very Slick way to avoid Pay as you go everything is an emergency now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,707 times
Whats new ! They keep their insurence ,, keep their raise and make deals with foreiners to stick it to us, so this is just going on according to plan or business as usual .

Old 05-28-2010, 07:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
From the OP's link..this is emergency ??? (not complete list)
Way to get around Pay-Go..why did they even bother with Pay-Go ??

- $20 billion for highway construction
- $54 million for tax breaks for TV and movie production
- $67 million in payments to Filipino World War II vets
- $15 million in aid to the Congo

But we are getting better at spending-Congress can now spend $1 trillion in as little as 6 months..also from OP's link:

"It took the federal government 206 years to hit the first trillion dollars in debt. To go from $12 trillion to $13 trillion, it took a little more than six months."

Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From the OP's link..this is emergency ??? (not complete list)
Way to get around Pay-Go..why did they even bother with Pay-Go ??

- $20 billion for highway construction
- $54 million for tax breaks for TV and movie production
- $67 million in payments to Filipino World War II vets
- $15 million in aid to the Congo

wtf. I understand highway construction, I get that. But I will need to do some reading and research to understand, WHY was there a need (none that I can think of) to spend on the rest.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
Obama was told on Wednesday that the United States reached a point where adding new debt lowers economic growth. And it just gets worse from here.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Congress Goes on Spending Spree, Adding $230 Billion to National Debt - ABC News

Even as Congress adjourns for a week-long Memorial Day recess without extending unemployment benefits, it concludes a three-month spending spree that has added more than $230 billion to the national debt, most of it classified as "emergency" spending.

Should the emergency funding loophole be closed, or restricted?

As a knee-jerk response I'd say yes, but I dont know what the parameters are that define "emergency spending".

Obama has said from his campaign days that he would institute PAYGO and I really dont want it to be abused.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

As a knee-jerk response I'd say yes, but I dont know what the parameters are that define "emergency spending".
In the old days it was called "living." Not real attractive, in the case of the Great Depression, but citizens were much more self-sufficient as they dealt with emergencies just as devastating as our current floods or oil spills.

All of us are addicts to government spending with the attendant "emergencies" but the payback is only being realized now. I am as guilty as any; we are experiencing conditions that demand we either change our lifestyle or change our government (and perhaps both).

Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

So a third stimulus. I guess that pretty confirms what everyone knows. The first two were miserable failures.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Obama has said from his campaign days that he would institute PAYGO and I really dont want it to be abused.
Emergency spending means they do not have to honor Pay-Go.
Yes, I think it's being abused as they have passed several bills that spend without accounting for payment.

$1 trillion in 6 months from this Congress.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
All of us are addicts to government spending with the attendant "emergencies" but the payback is only being realized now. I am as guilty as any; we are experiencing conditions that demand we either change our lifestyle or change our government (and perhaps both).
Speak for yourself.

Neither my husband or myself have ever collected UE benefits, FS, welfare, disability, etc, etc, etc.

Quote:

It is being abused. It is only an "emergency" because the political ramifications for obama and the democrats are dire indeed.

They broke the pay-go rule a few weeks after they passed it into law.

Quote:
It took the federal government 206 years to hit the first trillion dollars in debt. To go from $12 trillion to $13 trillion, it took a little more than six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies