Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,521,119 times

Advertisements

As Memorial Day approaches I wonder what everyone has planned to honor those who have sacrificed a lot to protect this country?

I have made it very clear to my children that regardless of how much I am opposed to this current war, I remain steadfastly in support of our troops. To that end my family and I spent the day at the our local Military Cemetery cleaning up, placing flags, and preparing for Mondays service. We all participated in a small service held today too. As liberals are always being lambasted as being anti-troop, I'm just curious as to what those that are so critical of "us" are going to be doing apart from indulging in BBQ and beer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 04:53 PM

26,687 posts, read 41,580,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
As Memorial Day approaches I wonder what everyone has planned to honor those who have sacrificed a lot to protect this country?

I have made it very clear to my children that regardless of how much I am opposed to this current war, I remain steadfastly in support of our troops. To that end my family and I spent the day at the our local Military Cemetery cleaning up, placing flags, and preparing for Mondays service. We all participated in a small service held today too. As liberals are always being lambasted as being anti-troop, I'm just curious as to what those that are so critical of "us" are going to be doing apart from indulging in BBQ and beer?
Since I'm staying at Ft. Knox right now (PCS via BRAC), I'll probably take a visit to the Kentucky Veterans Cemetery just up the street.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:57 PM

37,067 posts, read 42,032,683 times
I usually put out a flag but that's about it.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:21 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,130,695 times
Quote:

Thank you .

Where are all the liberals from the late 60's who certainly did not support the troops?

I would love to track a few of them down and ask them why they did what they did.

It was disgusting !

Old 05-29-2010, 05:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,521,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Thank you .

Where are all the liberals from the late 60's who certainly did not support the troops?

I would love to track a few of them down and ask them why they did what they did.

It was disgusting !
I can only speak for myself.

I am more curious to know what those who usually criticize people like me will be doing to show their support, you know the ones who claim that because I am a liberal, I am anti-troop.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,070,145 times
My Children and I traveled to the VA cemetery Cemeteries - Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery - Burial and Memorial Benefits
where we stood, and we listened and visited with old friends who have gone forth. We explained what each marker represents, and the sacrifice with which each marker carries to those who see them.

Afterwards we went to the local VFW. We talked with the guys there, we listened. We poured tea, and coffee. We asked about their lives, and their families. My daughters hate Memorial Day and July 4th for the fact they rise @ dawn. We hoist the colors, while playing the Star Spangled Banner, and are home always on the weekend in time to lower in the proper manner as well. We've only been here 2 years, but already neighbors; veterans and civilians alike come join as well. It's a nice moment.

On Sunday we're giving rides so far to 4 Vets who need to get some errands and last minute stuff before the weekend closes the grocery stores. Then Sun. night we're hosting a group for vets suffering w/ PTSD. Most are in the latter stages and are not that bad, but it's still nice to make sure that there is someone there to at least listen. And with that lot's of cold beer to be drank and sausages and BBQ to be eaten before we place the call to Iraq on our webcam. This year 3 women who have spouses deployed will be able to talk with their husbands 20 min. each on our dime. We also sent 50 1 hr. pre-paid calling cards to Afghanistan.

We will also be making and copying the Boy Scout handbook into Arabic for the Girl Scouts of Iraq, as it's growing fast. It will only be a small amount (about 50 books) but the Scouts are growing fast. By Christmas we hope to be able to do the same for the Boy Scout troops there in Baghdad.
http://www.1ad.army.mil/News/Iron_Guardian/2010/May%202010/Iron%20Guardian%2024%20May%2010%20SFS.pdf (broken link)
A quick link on page 7. A story in the Boy & Girls Scouts of Iraq.

Anyway, that's what we're doing. A small amount, but it's satisfying. If not now, for the kids, I know later they will appreciate it, and hopefully carry on the tradition in their families.
For the family motto is:
Duty, Honor, Country (Officium, Honor, Terra)

Old 05-29-2010, 06:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,166,027 times
NoiseOFF - The Coalition Against Noise Pollution - Motorcycles

I tend to do things that honor our military men and women all year long, instead of just one day (I worked for the Navy for 39 years). And Memorial Day has become a hellish nightmare here in Washington DC since I moved to my current home 10 years ago. "Rolling Thunder", the motorcycle industry's annual mass motorcycle noise and marketing event has evolved into a week long "Daytona Bike Week" like affair. This year, riders on super loud motorcycles began arriving on Thursday afternoon and will run wild through our community Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, roaring out of town on Tuesday. It doesn't take much to see that most of the riders are not veterans but just motorcycle folks here to enjoy the week, with bikini models and alcohol featured at clubs and motorcycle dealers from where the week long activities are organized.

Gone are the days of the dignified ceremony at Arlington Cemetery, the visit to family graves to tidy up and decorate, and family picnics and celebrations outdoors. We have had to board the pets and pack up and relocate for the week, but last year and this we could not afford to. Yesterday we bought $75 worth of insulating boards to cover the home's windows from the inside. It helps a little but the extreme noise still blasts through the walls.

I would hope that someday we can take back the holiday from the ignorant men who treasure their noise as manhood enhancement and wreak this violent attack against our communities.

NoiseOFF - The Coalition Against Noise Pollution - Motorcycles

Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 PM

58,610 posts, read 26,924,330 times
Quote:

Thank you for your contribution to the vets. I know it comes from the heart.

I hate generalasations. As a conservative I do not think ALL liberals are anti-troop. Just as all conservatives are/are not .....

Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,888,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Thank you .

It was disgusting !

Their in the WhiteHouse now .From peacenics to warmongers .

Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,888,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
My Children and I traveled to the VA cemetery Cemeteries - Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery - Burial and Memorial Benefits
where we stood, and we listened and visited with old friends who have gone forth. We explained what each marker represents, and the sacrifice with which each marker carries to those who see them.

Afterwards we went to the local VFW. We talked with the guys there, we listened. We poured tea, and coffee. We asked about their lives, and their families. My daughters hate Memorial Day and July 4th for the fact they rise @ dawn. We hoist the colors, while playing the Star Spangled Banner, and are home always on the weekend in time to lower in the proper manner as well. We've only been here 2 years, but already neighbors; veterans and civilians alike come join as well. It's a nice moment.

On Sunday we're giving rides so far to 4 Vets who need to get some errands and last minute stuff before the weekend closes the grocery stores. Then Sun. night we're hosting a group for vets suffering w/ PTSD. Most are in the latter stages and are not that bad, but it's still nice to make sure that there is someone there to at least listen. And with that lot's of cold beer to be drank and sausages and BBQ to be eaten before we place the call to Iraq on our webcam. This year 3 women who have spouses deployed will be able to talk with their husbands 20 min. each on our dime. We also sent 50 1 hr. pre-paid calling cards to Afghanistan.

We will also be making and copying the Boy Scout handbook into Arabic for the Girl Scouts of Iraq, as it's growing fast. It will only be a small amount (about 50 books) but the Scouts are growing fast. By Christmas we hope to be able to do the same for the Boy Scout troops there in Baghdad.
http://www.1ad.army.mil/News/Iron_Guardian/2010/May%202010/Iron%20Guardian%2024%20May%2010%20SFS.pdf (broken link)
A quick link on page 7. A story in the Boy & Girls Scouts of Iraq.

Anyway, that's what we're doing. A small amount, but it's satisfying. If not now, for the kids, I know later they will appreciate it, and hopefully carry on the tradition in their families.
For the family motto is:
Duty, Honor, Country (Officium, Honor, Terra)

What a wonderful thing to do for all these vets . Bless you and yours . And maybe the little girls in Iraq will remember this freedom when they grow older .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies