Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Both you and CB need to do some reading as you are way off the mark. It's useless debating as you two are refusing to look at the studies and facts that Jaymax and LV are referencing. Just because you say your line of thinking is correct doesn't make it correct. I'll go by the data collected by the professionals and the fact I've worked with sexual victims/abusers......yes it can be all about power/control.
I had not intended to ever reveal this on a public forum (even my children don't know) but I am speaking from personal experience when I say that sexual gratification is an important component in rape. That a man (or men, in my case) has the physical strength to overpower a woman and seek sexual release is what makes rape possible. It was not a "power trip" that motivated those who raped me. I won't go into detail as to how/when/where but I can guarantee that it was solely opportunity and the desire for sexual release.

Men are motivated by the empowering hormone testosterone; it is what gives them the superior physical strength to exert their dominance over women. It is also what gives them often times immediate readiness to perform the sexual act. To insist that power--and power alone--is the motivation behind rape is disingenuous. Men who rape may or may not be trying to humiliate someone and in the case of the former, I would agree--exerting power over someone is the motivation. Men rape because they know they are powerful enough to be able to do it and the knowledge of that is an aphrodisiac to them. The sexual release is the zenith and what makes it all worthwhile to a man who rapes.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 06-05-2010 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I had not intended to ever reveal this on a public forum (even my children don't know) but I am speaking from personal experience when I say that sexual gratification is an important component in rape. That a man (or men, in my case) has the physical strength to overpower a woman and seek sexual release is what makes rape possible. It was not a "power trip" that motivated those who raped me. I won't go into detail as to how/when/where but I can guarantee that it was solely opportunity and the desire for sexual release.

Men are motivated by the empowering hormone testosterone; it is what gives them the superior physical strength to exert their dominance over women. It is also what gives them often times immediate readiness to perform the sexual act. To insist that power--and power alone--is the motivation behind rape is disingenuous. Men who rape may or may not be trying to humiliate someone and in the case of the former, I would agree--exerting power over someone is the motivation. Men rape because they know they are powerful enough to be able to do it and the knowledge of that is an aphrodisiac to them. The sexual release is the zenith and what makes it all worthwhile to a man who rapes.
The highlighted is the entire premise behind all of my posts on this subject.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:06 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Quote:

I'm sorry you had to go through a horrible thing like this. I've had a family member go through the same thing and it's horrid that people can treat fellow human beings in this manner and do these despicable acts. There are different situations and reasons for rape and Power/control often times is a huge element/motive. This is not my opinion.......it's from professional studies and hours of training I had in working with sexual abusers and victims. Yes, pleasure comes into play but many times it's all about the power/control/domination. Getting that sexual release is connected to the power/control.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:22 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Wow! You sure do make an awful lot of assumptions based on four-five lines of text about my position on this matter. Let me clue you in:
1. I have no clue about this "progressive agenda" and don't know what the heck you're ranting about.
2. My "primary reason" for getting out of bed in the morning is to look once again on this beautiful world that God has provided for us all.
3. Common sense is no such thing because not every person perceives the world in the same way, so there is nothing "common" about our senses.

Oh please! Where did I ever say there was no sexual component to rape? What I said was that the sex was not the MAIN component. Nor is it the motivation. In other words, rape is not about sex, it is about the power the rapist feels over his/her victim.

Again, I have no clue what this "progressive agenda" might be that you keep spouting off about. As for 'excluding thought processes', it seems to me that it is you who have done so. I come by my understanding of rape, not from listening to anyone, but through experience. Though I have never been raped, I have come close enough times to understand that the rapist's motives have much more to do with the power they falsely feel they have over me and less to do with even the idea that they could or would have sex with me than you might imagine. You might want to ask a rapist sometime about why they rape.

Sorry, but no. When it comes to this subject as well as a few others, I cannot simply "agree to disagree". I'm trying to get you to think. I'm afraid I'm coming to the conclusion that you won't ever think beyond your own beliefs, but there ya go.
You are trying to get me to think?

You cannot simply agree to disagree? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but that was my instinctive reaction. Why? Because reasonable people can....and do. And since I have, I'm not sure what choice that would leave you.

Good day.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry you had to go through a horrible thing like this. I've had a family member go through the same thing and it's horrid that people can treat fellow human beings in this manner and do these despicable acts. There are different situations and reasons for rape and Power/control often times is a huge element/motive. This is not my opinion.......it's from professional studies and hours of training I had in working with sexual abusers and victims. Yes, pleasure comes into play but many times it's all about the power/control/domination. Getting that sexual release is connected to the power/control.
No one has stated that there is not a power/control/domination component. You and your friend need to read more carefully and think.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No one has stated that there is not a power/control/domination component. You and your friend need to read more carefully and think.
And you need to keep up on the thread. This mini discussion started as it was stated that a male who rapes another male has to be bisexual. This is not the case at all. A man who rapes another man doesn't necessarily mean the perpetrator is gay/bi......many times it's to show domination or is a power/control issue.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:53 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Since my previous post, I have thought more about this and think that quite likely most of the studies that lead to the conclusion that rape is a power/control act have been done on serial rapists who have come under the jurisdiction of the court and correctional system. Those guys are sick in both their heads and their souls. In my own case, I doubt if any of those involved have ever raped again--as stated, it was opportunity and desire for sexual gratification. Then there are those scum bags who work the night shifts in nursing homes and rape the helpless female residents who may not even know they are being raped. Again, purely a sexual gratification motive. I've heard but have no confirming knowledge that in some gangs, rape is something a guy must do to gain membership. My point is that rape is committed by men under variable circumstances and there is no one-size-fits-all gestalt.

Quote:
This mini discussion started as it was stated that a male who rapes another male has to be bisexual. This is not the case at all. A man who rapes another man doesn't necessarily mean the perpetrator is gay/bi......many times it's to show domination or is a power/control issue.
I didn't say that a man raping another man has to be bisexual in his nature--only that by engaging in the sex act with another man he is no longer exclusively heterosexual. He may or may not ever rape another man but by having done so once, he can no longer say he is exclusively heterosexual--that by engaging in sex with another man, consensual or not, he becomes a bisexual.

You are right that this discussion has gone far enough.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 06-05-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that a man raping another man has to be bisexual in his nature--only that by engaging in the sex act with another man he is no longer exclusively heterosexual. He may or may not ever rape another man but by having done so once, he can no longer say he is exclusively heterosexual--that by engaging in sex with another man, consensual or not, he becomes a bisexual.

You are right that this discussion has gone far enough.
I didn't say it was you who stated this opinion......stated it was the discussion included in the last page or so. He may be "labeled" bisexual but if he's raping another guy for revenge, a severe get back, or to send a strong message......he most likely isn't enjoying the sexual part of the equation (but more the pain he's inflicting). He knows it's going to be the most demeaning experience the other guy has ever gone through and gets off on that and not the fact he's having sex with another guy.

To switch gears.....Always find articles interesting on the amount of money that would be saved with ending DADT. Amazing the many good things that would come out of doing it:

Quote:
It costs between $22,000 and $45,000 to replace each person discharged under Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. To date, the law has cost tax payers roughly $500 million. The policy costs tax payers an average of $30 million per year. This means that the military, which is trying to find ways to save money for military reinvestment, is not only squandering talent, but money replacing those who are kicked from the military each year. Add to that, the bureaucratic costs of discharge such as man hours that could be spent elsewhere, and the costs of the investigations which could end up costing even more money if the investigation goes on long enough. The amount of money that the investigations and bureaucracy costs the tax payers and takes away from military operations is unclear
Cutting DADT Would Save The Defense Department A Lot of Money - Lez Get Real

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 06-05-2010 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
And you need to keep up on the thread. This mini discussion started as it was stated that a male who rapes another male has to be bisexual. This is not the case at all. A man who rapes another man doesn't necessarily mean the perpetrator is gay/bi......many times it's to show domination or is a power/control issue.
I know exactly what was said and I'm saying that you are just repeating psycho-babble opinion. Buy into if you so desire. I don't.

And please, don't waste your time posting a list of "experts". If people would only start doing their own thinking we could make great strides.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:08 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Obviously if having a bunch of guys together alone would be automatically resulting in mass rapes we would be seeing that already in the military with our straight and gay military members.

Guess what guys, military members can have a little self control and can concentrate on the tasks at hand, be they straight or gay.

Anybody suggesting otherwise has some sort of twisted homophobic agenda by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies