Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The suggested bill is someplace between 350 million and one billion. That would be one hell of a lot of locals standing by.

Jindal needs not only permission he needs BP or the feds to agree to pay for it. Then, when it screws up the flow through the Mississippi estuary he needs another billion to take it out...all that presuming a tropical storm does not do it first.

I am sure it is a good idea in places. But it is not a weekend deal nor will it do well without extensive planning.

This is the classical "all you got to do is.." which is mostly followed by incrimination as we try and decide how we could be so dumb.
I was taught early on not to use a big word if I didn't know what it meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I was taught early on not to use a big word if I didn't know what it meant.
Actually it was supposed to be recriminations. That happens once in a while when I type fast.

Sorry you could not translate it. A reasonably bright person would have gotten it from context...

Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Obama is just as much to blame as Bush was for Katrina!

Since all the Dem. blamed Bush...now we are going to blame Obama!

See how you like it Dem!

All the jokes aside....what was Obama doing when the unemployment is growing, people were already hit hard in these areas and now again what was Obama doing...a photo-op with basketball players!

Wow...and did you see how Obama was searching on the beach for some oil...very interesting like he really cared!

Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually it was supposed to be recriminations. That happens once in a while when I type fast.

Sorry you could not translate it. A reasonably bright person would have gotten it from context...
I had no trouble translating it so I guess that makes me a "reasonably bright person". I pointed out your mistake because I thought you were trying to use a "big" word to impress me and didn't even know enough to use the correct one. That is why I used code to see if you could even figure out which word I was talking about.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I had no trouble translating it so I guess that makes me a "reasonably bright person". I pointed out your mistake because I thought you were trying to use a "big" word to impress me and didn't even know enough to use the correct one. That is why I used code to see if you could even figure out which word I was talking about.
Those with limited skills correct others. The rest pass on using the context. Are you interested in the discussion or putting other posters down?

Interestingly enough incrimination almost works as well. I could argue the point. But it was not what I intended.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:38 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
NO EAST COAST DRILLING!!
Pretty hypocritical of you. You do own and drive a car, right? Where do you want that oil extracted from? Ahhhhh, that's right, you want the oil wells drilled in someone else's back yard, so when the damn thing blows up it ruins THEIR country.

I'm as sickened as you are by the mess. But when you play Russian roulette (wherever it may be in the world), sooner or later, you're going to have a bad outcome. To top it off, government regulation forced the wells to be drilled in deep water, which is far more dangerous, costly, disaster-prone, and hard to fix once it blows.

Personally, I think we all should be looking for a better way than oil; but until then, everyone that drives a car should be willing to have a well drilled in their back yard. Yes, I drive a car--but I accept the responsibility and acknowledge the environmental damage that it causes, rather than pawning the dark side of a petroleum-dependent society off onto another country so that they can blacken their beaches and we can cruise around in our battleship-sized SUVs. What makes our beaches any better or more important than anyone else's beaches, mountains, plains, deserts, etc? Oh, that's right... it's because YOU live by your beach. That's why it's more important than everyone else's geography.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 PM

I guess I always have been a stickler for the correct use of the English language. My mother was a librarian who corrected my english when I was a toddler and I remember when I was a freshman in college I got in trouble for noting the incorrect grammar of a sophmore who was supposed to be lording over me. Since the general tone of your original post to me seemed to be condescending, I'm not sure that you have a lot of room to accuse me of trying to put you down. And since you don't know anything about me, you have no way of knowing if I have greater skills than you have. But I don't know anything about you either, so who is to say!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Would you be interested in seeing a link that shows how much oil is available in the middle of the US? If so let me know and I will make it available.
It is available, but only small companies are interested in drilling for it. The Big Oil don't see enough profit in drilling in Bakken, and to drill in Colorado, one would have to build a nuke plant first to provide the power to make it possible. In CO, you'd have to cook it out of the ground. Shell was there, but they said 'the hell with it' when the price of oil dropped to below what it was costing them to extract it.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
Here is another thread where people are arguing about stupid things, while the Gulf Coast region of this country is being decimated. Who cares about your grammar or whether Obama or Bush is to blame? I personally am devastated as I watch the Gulf for signs of oil each day. Oil spills in the world's waters affect everyone. It is ignorant to pretend otherwise. Also, we have found alternative fuels that work. We just need a government that will quit pandering to the oil and automobile companies. Our government should make ending our dependence on oil a priority. We all know that the money we pay the Middle East is used to help finance wars against the US, yet we continue to pay them. Am I mad? Yes, I am. I live on the Gulf Coast. This oil spill will affect me for years to come.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:40 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
No I do not blame Obama for the BP mess. People scream and yell that he needs to "do something" but the truth is that there is nothing that can be done that is not being done. What I am MAD about is that it is becoming obvious that neither the government nor the oil people have any PLAN B when it comes to this.
If you do not have a legit workable proven PLAN to deal with the WORST case scenario then you should NOT be drilling oil wells in 5900 feet of water that will spew oil at 16,000 pounds per square inch. Until you do have a PLAN B do NOT come down here telling us in the east coastal states that we have to accept oil drilling off our shores! HELL FK NO!!
It is damn obvious that we do not have a workable plan b when the blowout protectors fail- and things going wrong in 5900 feet of freezing water should not surprise anybody. I have said in the past that we who live in the coastal states are NOT going to take it up the azz for the rest of the country on this. Review this thread from a year ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...lling-oil.html

We love our beaches and islands here and we are not going to allow them to be fouled so that some azz in Nebraska can have a Hummer and cheap gasoline. And Obama had better let this be a WAKE UP call because if this oil shows up in Florida, he can kiss his Presidency good bye since a month ago he tried to force this on us. We ain't having it. And if he thinks having James Carville on his azz is bad, he ain't seen nothing yet. NO EAST COAST DRILLING!!
He's just another politician in a long line like all the others; he'll bow to whatever the powers that be tell him to bow to. No amount of complaining on your part will ever change anything.

Welcome to reality. The ONE is no different than anyone else. He's finding that out each and every day he is President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies