Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,331 times

Advertisements

Eric Cantor || Republican Whip || YouCut (http://republicanwhip.house.gov/YouCut/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
I'm not going to say you would have to be stupid to make this proposal, because it may be very effective as demagoguery goes.

I will say that you would have to be stupid to think that this is a sensible way to make public policy or make plans for government spending.

To the OP: Can you tell us the total impact as a percentage of the federal deficit or the federal budget (your choice) if all five of these proposals are adopted?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Eric Cantor || Republican Whip || YouCut (http://republicanwhip.house.gov/YouCut/ - broken link)
Fannie and Freddie and the FHA- I would not cut them. I would ELIMINATE them completely. This is an area that should be handled by PRIVATE banks and mortgage lenders.They should compete with each other and charge realistic interest rates based on risk.

Farm Program- I would eliminate this too. Farmers should compete like any other business enterprise. If too many farmers are planting wheat, then plant tomatoes. It is a business like any other.

Military- I would close all foreign bases and bring the troops stateside. The purpose of the United States Armed Forces is to protect the United States- not Korea, the EU and Japan. They need to pay for their own armies. I would eliminate most new weapons systems. We have the ultimate weapon which is a nuclear bomb. We don't need most of the new ones we waste money on.

Foreign Aid- I would cut all of it except for humanitarian (food, medical, housing, water) aid. No more military aid and no more nosing into the internal affairs of other nations.

FDIC- I would not eliminate the backing for the bank accounts of Americans but I would not just "take over and hand off" failed banks. Bank managers and workers should be LICENSED by the FDIC and if they are found to be incompetent, they should be prevented from EVER running a bank- or working in one again.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
I would eliminate the entire farm bill.

Since 67% of all farm bill expenditures goes to non-farmers ( nutritional aid programs) there would be no more welfare people getting food assistance.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I would eliminate the entire farm bill.

Since 67% of all farm bill expenditures goes to non-farmers ( nutritional aid programs) there would be no more welfare people getting food assistance.
They would get food assistance the same way it was done when I was a kid. We were never on food assistance except for the reduced school lunch program (the poorer kids got free school lunches) BUT some of my friends had families that were. They would go to the local food office and be given USDA groceries and vouchers to get their milk, cheese and eggs from the local IGA store. I used to see USDA on cans so much I thought it was a brand name (I actually liked their peanut butter better than the store brand!) and there was no shame in taking it. These were working people that fell on hard times in the community where I grew up as a child (Oaklawn Kansas). In many cases the father had ran off or become ill and unable to work in the plants any longer. We were lucky. Others were less fortunate. The Republicans would never understand that. I would not take a dime from such people.
But this multi billion dollar glut- much of which goes to land owners that do not even farm (they send checks to people in Chicago for gawds sake!) and outfits like Archer Daniels Midland, your damn right I would put a stop to that and fast!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,269 times
There is nothing there regarding military spending. That site is basically worthless due to this.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:57 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Fannie and Freddie and the FHA- I would not cut them. I would ELIMINATE them completely. This is an area that should be handled by PRIVATE banks and mortgage lenders.They should compete with each other and charge realistic interest rates based on risk.

Farm Program- I would eliminate this too. Farmers should compete like any other business enterprise. If too many farmers are planting wheat, then plant tomatoes. It is a business like any other.

Military- I would close all foreign bases and bring the troops stateside. The purpose of the United States Armed Forces is to protect the United States- not Korea, the EU and Japan. They need to pay for their own armies. I would eliminate most new weapons systems. We have the ultimate weapon which is a nuclear bomb. We don't need most of the new ones we waste money on.
I usually do not agree with you but what do you know we have some common ground.I would support all of these ideas and add to cut all subsidies.If we had our way there would have at least 400 billion in cuts and over a span of time in the trillions.Now that is some real budget cutting.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
There is nothing there regarding military spending. That site is basically worthless due to this.
You must be kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies