Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Roy, why did he use the phrase "Supreme being" instead of "Our Lord Jesus Christ"?

Supreme being? Are you arguing that everyone who believes in a Supreme Being is a Christian? Is that your argument? Because if it isn't, then what exactly do you think you've proven by citing this quote?
I think that because progressives spend so much time trying to make us believe that Washington wasn't a Christian that I did just what I wanted to do. There is a painting of him kneeling and praying on a battlefield after the battle.

Actually I think that your progressive Our Lord Jesus Christ is a crock of crap because Jesus is the son of God and Wahington was referring to God when he said Supreme Being. God is about one step above Jesus since he created him to serve him on Earth. I guess when the three Trinities are spoken of we are talking about God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost which is Jesus after he rose from the grave.

Can you handle that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Not sure of all of them. Certainly he had a number of political appointments such as when Governor Dinwiddie had him carry the British negotiation to the French in 1753.

But as a landowner he held local office in Westmorland County, and then was elected to the Virginia provincial legislature (the House of Burgesses) beginning in 1758. It was from there that, in 1769 he introduced the proposal for Virginia to boycott English goods until the Townshend Acts were repealed. (Shades of Los Angeles Mayor Villaraigosa, huh?)

He was then chairperson of the Fairfax Resolves meeting, a delegate to the First Virginia Convention and from there selected as a delegate to the First Continental Congress.

Those are the ones I know of from before the Revolution. Do you know of any I missed?
I think you did an excellent job except for the fact that you forgot to say that during those earlier years he was mostly fighting the French and Indians most of the 1750s. Great job but did you notice how many of those jobs were appointive? I don't call them real political jobs. Elections mean political to me.

I see that you are joined with Jesse Jackson in being against the Arizona attempt to force the federal government to enforce the law that has been in effect since 1986. You, Jackson, and Villaraigosa. How much good do you think the boycotts will do with all the people working on the buycott.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And what is "progressive" about acknowledging the unremarkable truth that Washington was not exactly orthodox in his religious practice?
I will take it or granted that you failed to read the post by Actonbell that mentioned the scrubbing of many things about the Founders from school texts in 1934. Now what had happened at the beginning of 1933 that would tell us that that could have happened. In case you can't figure me out there was an election in December 1932 by the Electoral College in which FDR was selected by them. Who was the most progressive president we have had? Look at some of the changes he brought about and see if it wasn't him. I think that the poster was talking about some of the things that took place in the 1930s.

Please excuse me for typing and talking to my sons at the same time. I got carried away but will make an attempt to deal with the orthodoxy of Washington's Christianity. He may not have been any kind of orthodox Christian but he made so many references to Providence, the Supreme Being etc that I just don't think he was not a Christian. Now progressives have tried very hard to make him out to be only a Deist along with others of our Founders and I just can't handle that crap.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that because progressives spend so much time trying to make us believe that Washington wasn't a Christian that I did just what I wanted to do. There is a painting of him kneeling and praying on a battlefield after the battle.

Actually I think that your progressive Our Lord Jesus Christ is a crock of crap because Jesus is the son of God and Wahington was referring to God when he said Supreme Being. God is about one step above Jesus since he created him to serve him on Earth. I guess when the three Trinities are spoken of we are talking about God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost which is Jesus after he rose from the grave.

Can you handle that?
No, He was referring to a Supreme being.

If I say something about Al Franken, that doesn't mean I'm talking about Billy Graham.

You should really learn the history of our nation that have large Mason and deist influences.

Washington issued an executive order in 1777, banning the practice of "popes day" which allowed for the burning of pope figures. Does that mean he is Catholic? No, most of those around him said he was very accepting of other religious practices.

Thats not because he was Christian, its because he was a Deist, and accepted all religions, while rejecting many of their laws.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Explain that one to me Gunner. I put this here so lefties could attack the words of Washington as not being the words of a Christian and you tell me that Christianity is not relevant in today's society. Do you really think that there are more of you than of us? Maybe you need to take a headcount the first chance you get.

IF headcount is the determining factor we should just sit back and allow the surrounding Islamic countries to overrun Israel, right?

After all, there are far more Muslims than Jews.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Why would Washington issue a General Order with the words in it that this one has? I think I know but many here don't agree.

"Our own Country's Honor, all call upon us for a vigorous and manly exertion, and if we now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world. Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble Actions - The Eyes of all our Countrymen are now upon us, and we shall have their blessings, and praises, if happily we are the instruments of saving them from the Tyranny mediated against them. Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth." --George Washington, General Orders, 1776

I took this from the Patriot Post quotes from today.
How can you, with knowledge of historical context, not only read this rubbish without bursting into laughter but post it as some example to which this country should aspire?

How about a deal? I'll admit that America is a historically Christian country if you take this same as evidence that America is also a historically hypocritical, self-serving, elitist, and bigoted country.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Because he was an honest man that believed in his God. He saw what assembled power did to the individual man.
He also saw what torture did.

“Should any American soldier be so base and infamous as to injure any [prisoner]. . . I do most earnestly enjoin you to bring him to such severe and exemplary punishment as the enormity of the crime may require. Should it extend to death itself, it will not be disproportional to its guilt at such a time and in such a cause… for by such conduct they bring shame, disgrace and ruin to themselves and their country.” - George Washington, charge to the Northern Expeditionary Force, Sept. 14, 1775

George Washington: No Torture on My Watch « Antiwar.com Blog

Dick Cheney is no George Washington!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Dick Cheney is no George Washington!

But he is a Dick

Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
What people tend to forget, is that even Mormons are classified as Christian.

And, he is forgetting this little tidbit (not that I'm atheist)

A study done by the Graduate Center of the City University of New York found that the percentage of the population that describes itself as “nonreligious” more than doubled from 1990 to 2001, from 14.3 million to 29.4 million people. The only other group to show growth was Muslims. . .

Atheism is the fastest growing religious identity in America - In The Agora

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Explain that one to me Gunner. I put this here so lefties could attack the words of Washington as not being the words of a Christian and you tell me that Christianity is not relevant in today's society.
I don't see any reference to Jesus of Nazareth. I do see a reference to a "supreme Being" so I don't see how you could characterize him as a Christian.

Washington, like most of the signers of the Declaration and most of the creators of the Constitution were Theists and Deists, not Christians.

There's a big difference.

Quote:
Do you really think that there are more of you than of us? Maybe you need to take a headcount the first chance you get.
Yes, I do. Many claim to be Christian, but don't have the guts to "walk the walk" (although they claim to "talk the talk").

Christianity will inevitably become irrelevant, like so many other religions. That's what time and knowledge does.

Too bad your god wasn't omniscient enough to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies