Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Ocean dumping is the reason Somali pirates say they are doing it. They said dumping and fishing have destroyed fish stocks so they can no longer earn a living off of traditional fishing.

South Korea is currently broadcasting messages into the North encouraging defection and promoting unification under the South. The fact of the matter is the Governments in both South and North Korea want to destroy the other.

As to Greece, Turkey and Cyprus you really should study up on your history since they fought a war over Cyprus in the 1970s that resulted in the Northern 1/3 of the Island being ethnically cleansed of Greek Cypriots and resettled by Turks...Greece withdrew from NATO for a while during hostilities.

Or maybe not.

FACTBOX: Recent tension between Greece and Turkey | Reuters

1974 - Turkey invades Cyprus and occupies its north in response to a coup in Nicosia, inspired by the military junta then ruling Greece. A Greek-Turkish war is averted but the island's Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities remain divided despite U.N. reunification efforts.

If you believe Somalis are hijacking ships because of ocean dumping I have a bridge to sell you. I would have more sympathy if they attacked those doing the dumping. Cargo traffic does not threaten their existence in any way.

So, S Korea and N Korea have tensions . Again they are not lobing rockets at each other. You simply can't compare the situations no matter how much you would like to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Or maybe not.

FACTBOX: Recent tension between Greece and Turkey | Reuters

1974 - Turkey invades Cyprus and occupies its north in response to a coup in Nicosia, inspired by the military junta then ruling Greece. A Greek-Turkish war is averted but the island's Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities remain divided despite U.N. reunification efforts.

If you believe Somalis are hijacking ships because of ocean dumping I have a bridge to sell you. I would have more sympathy if they attacked those doing the dumping. Cargo traffic does not threaten their existence in any way.

So, S Korea and N Korea have tensions . Again they are not lobing rockets at each other. You simply can't compare the situations no matter how much you would like to.
Saying the Cyprus war was not a Greek Turkish war is akin to saying the US hasn't been in a war since WWII because Korea was a "policing action." On top of that the ethnic cleansing of Eastern Thrace also occurred after 1922 and there was no war there.

S Korea and N Korea are not lobbing rockets at each other for the same reasons the Soviets and Americans were not lobbing rockets at each other...There is a parity of force paired with massive destructive capability that neither party sees as acceptable. It doesn't mean they do not want to wipe eachother off the map.

Somalis say they are hijacking ships for those reasons and as I said previously with all of these cases whether or not you believe any of the causes for belligerence depends on how a person feels at a given period of time. Essentially all of it is pretty standard.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
This is what happens when stupid people don't mind their own business.Is this Idiot protesting when Muslims kill the innocent?
Here goes "The republican blame the victim game"

It's easier to blame the victim than to admit that a rightwinger did something wrong.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Is that your lame response to everything?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is a process that has worked. As a matter of fact they trucked the supplies form the flotilla and Hamas refused to accept them.

Palistinians are launching missles at Israel, I certainly wouldn't expect them to treat their enemies particularly well.

Do you deny that the stated goal of their neighbors is to wipe Israel off the map? They don't have to cry victim, they are vicitms.
Yes the victims of blow back as a result of:
1. England giving the Israeli's the lamd now called Israel.
2. Their policies and treatment of the arabs who live within their borders.
3. Never being held accountable for their actions.
You can't take the moral high ground when you play as dirty or worse than the terrorists.
It is a process that has worked for Israel? Well I guess so. They have the only remaining super power in their back pocket. They are in control. They use their power to humiliate the average Palestinian. You seem to forget they don't just target the bad guys. All Palestinians are treated equally. Equally bad.
Nope. I am not giving the arabs a free pass. They keep poking the dog with a stick and the dog keeps mauling them for it.
However, its none of our business yet we keep rewarding Israel for what they do, even though we would be the first ones protesting these same acts if anyone did them.
Case in point the conflict between Georgia and Russia.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:42 AM

150 posts, read 123,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Another victim of Israeli thuggery..

US activist loses eye after being shot in face with tear gas canister | International Solidarity Movement (http://palsolidarity.org/2010/05/12604/ - broken link)
Boo hoo.

My sympathy lies with Israel right now. Not the loony left who support Israel's destruction. She's lucky she's not dead. Wonder who did the surgery? Think it was a Palestinian?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
This is what happens when stupid people don't mind their own business.Is this Idiot protesting when Muslims kill the innocent?

Oh, don't hold your breath for the left to ever protest what is truly evil.

I'm still waiting for that idjit Rosie O'Donnel to take her "wife" to Iran...start making out in the streets and see how quick their heads are chopped off and on a pike.

The left is truly Orwellian lately. It's quite unbelievable.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
Somehow, you would be singing a different tune if Rachel Corrie defended unlawful seizure of your home and was killed for it.

You have no principles. You live by the principle that might equals right.

According to people like you, this is the birth of a radical.

YouTube - Rachel Corrie 5th Grade Speech I'm here because I care

Oh...the pity video. Guess what? Even mean old Dick Cheney was a cute 5th grader. Do you want to see a video of him...he's so cute and innocent...Oh, that won't work on the left? He's STILL EVIL? Bwahahahaa.

Well, the pity vid doesn't work on me. I kno the Corrie story. What a fool she was. And now she is dead.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
That young woman stood up for what she believed in, a very courageous person .
Chinese tanks stopped for a single guy with a plasic bag.
Different strokes for different folks, or diferrent rules in different countries.
One of these thing is not like the other. One of these things is DIF ER ENT!

Which of these things is not like the ot-her.... Well, you know the rest of the song.

Crack open a history book.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I did watch that video. I couldn't see her that well, but it seemed like she was way on the periphery of the action. The guys who were throwing the rocks looked mobile and were heading away from where she initially was, before she was dragged off. If I were the police I'd have shot the canisters more centrally.
Well, next time you are the "police" and in this situation...you can be real careful and run after the exact person hurling sh*t in your direction! Now, make sure you don't hurt anyone else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies