Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

I don't know what it is about politicians from my home state of Louisiana (born in Charity Hospital, raised in the Mighty 13th Ward) but they have one thing in common, they all seem so ill-prepared calamities the Ray Charles could have seen coming.

I wasn't around these here parts during Katrina, but on other forms I was pretty balanced at laying the blame squarely on the local, state and Federal response. Since hurricane Betsy EVERYBODY knew that if a major hurricane hit New Orleans, and any of the levees failed, the city would drown. Not of have any contingency plans on the part of state and local officials was criminal.

The same is true for a major oil spill in the Gulf. Louisiana based oil companies have been drilling in in the Gulf since 1937. For Louisiana not to have its own contingency plan for a major oil spill is, well, criminal. Which brings me to Bobby Jindal.

Bobby is all over the airwaves screaming about the delay in building sand barriers across the Louisiana shore line. It is a half baked plan, hatched at the spur of the moment and that is the rub. By not having a prepared plan this one raises as many questions as it solves. Had such a plan been proposed years ago, pre-approval certainly could have been obtained. But as this Times Picayune story points out, Bobby is better at press conferences than he is on the science of building sand barriers.

Sand barrier idea faces bureaucratic delays, ecological questions | NOLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
You know what, I'm not a huge Bobby Jindal fan at ALL. I think he's pretty fake as a matter of fact.

But federal response hasn't been very good, just like Katrina. And this IS a federal responsibility. There is no reason that Louisiana should have to deal with this.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 AM

218 posts, read 239,620 times
LA reaps all the taxes from offshore drilling? The federal government reaps none?

How naive.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 AM

[quote=juppiter;14434669]You know what, I'm not a huge Bobby Jindal fan at ALL. I think he's pretty fake as a matter of fact.

Quote:
But federal response hasn't been very good, just like Katrina. And this IS a federal responsibility. There is no reason that Louisiana should have to deal with this.
I'm struggling to figure out what the Federal government or even BP can do that isn't being done. My problem is with folks who argue that Federal government should not be looked to for solutions in the first place arguing that the Federal government hasn't used its nonexistent magic wand that will solve the problem in the first place. Nor, is it my argument that Louisiana should solely have to deal with this problem. But if the argument is that local government is more responsive, then local government, especially one's which are so closely tied with a particular industry, as Louisiana is with off shore drilling, should have greater foresight when such problems arise.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
LA reaps all the taxes from offshore drilling? The federal government reaps none?

How naive.
How not the point.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 AM

218 posts, read 239,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How not the point.
I would fully share your sentiments if LA reaped all the benefits, but it is clear they don't. It is clear that the Federal government receives benefits from LA's offshore drilling, but left them high and dry.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:57 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,363,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know what it is about politicians from my home state of Louisiana (born in Charity Hospital, raised in the Mighty 13th Ward) but they have one thing in common, they all seem so ill-prepared calamities the Ray Charles could have seen coming.

I wasn't around these here parts during Katrina, but on other forms I was pretty balanced at laying the blame squarely on the local, state and Federal response. Since hurricane Betsy EVERYBODY knew that if a major hurricane hit New Orleans, and any of the levees failed, the city would drown. Not of have any contingency plans on the part of state and local officials was criminal.

The same is true for a major oil spill in the Gulf. Louisiana based oil companies have been drilling in in the Gulf since 1937. For Louisiana not to have its own contingency plan for a major oil spill is, well, criminal. Which brings me to Bobby Jindal.

Bobby is all over the airwaves screaming about the delay in building sand barriers across the Louisiana shore line. It is a half baked plan, hatched at the spur of the moment and that is the rub. By not having a prepared plan this one raises as many questions as it solves. Had such a plan been proposed years ago, pre-approval certainly could have been obtained. But as this Times Picayune story points out, Bobby is better at press conferences than he is on the science of building sand barriers.

Sand barrier idea faces bureaucratic delays, ecological questions | NOLA.com
Well lets see,
Katrina was on Louisiana soil and those New Orleans idiots had plenty of warning of a big @zz storm coming. Nagin simple F'd up and his constituencies were idiots.
The oil spill is in FEDERAL WATERS, did I say that right, The Oil Spill Is In FEDERAL WATERS. Just like Arizona, Obama and his administration failed to protect the boarder of the USA. Jindal is cleaning up his lands that the federal government has once again failed to protect.
Remember, Jindal cannot act as the federal government. The water on the coast is federal water, Jindal is protecting as much as he can. He will have to do what Arizona did and instate a law that allows him to protect his land.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Jindal could be faulted for not usurping federal authority and making needed steps in trying to protect the barrier islands. If the feds are completely useless and not doing anything, local and state authroties and even citizens themselves need to take charge. They should have learned that after Katrina although that was a breakdown on everybody's part, from the citizens to the city to the state and to the federal levels.
Its the same deal here, although mostly it was the federal government that failed.
Obama and Bush are so completely identical now its getting spooky.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Jindal has been begging the administration from "day one" - for help, for approval of berm-building...and so far, that begging has been met with silence.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Does Jindal not have the stones to build the berms first and argue the legality and cost later? Didn't God tell him to do something or didn't he listen?

The cause of the problem was BP was not required to have a plan of action if the blowout preventer did not work. Requiring an emergency plan was a Federal responsibility but the administrator of that part of the government was an oil industry shill appointed by the Republicans and charged with reducing any government regulation that might interfere with the oil companies decision making or cost. The oil company should have had a plan for this just as a good business practice. IMHO - They were negligent and are completely responsible for all costs associated with this spill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies