Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 AM

631 posts, read 720,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
[
Which is the fault of the town councils who support ridiculous school budgets and district BOE's. Not Christie. His point is to make school districts accountable for themselves, for once, instead of putting up ridiculous budgets year after year which also increase taxes.

Most towns in NJ are cutting services due to the massive cuts in state aid. Are ALL of these towns have been overspending? In my town, it's be run by republicans for 20 years. Are you saying the Republicans screwed it up, and I should now count on a Republican governer to fix it?

Quote:
That's a shame. Which ones are folding due to lack of federal funding?
Good question, but why did it all start right after Christie slashed state aid?

Quote:
Drive or walk your kid to school. Issue eliminated. Why should tax payers have to pay for someone to watch your kid walk to school? I don't have that luxury so my little violin is playing...
You clearly dont know sussex county.

Quote:
Welcome to reality. I highly doubt not having crossing guards or being in heated negotiations for bussing is going to change the curriculum of the schools. ...

Sure does, I know I wouldnt want to move to a place with no busing system or crossing guards.

Quote:
His popularity is just going to get stronger. ...
You sure about that?

Christie's public disapproval rating jumps 10 points to 42 percent | State | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Quote:
If you go into a field for a "pension"...who are you (no you specifically, you in general) thinking you're better than? The person who didn't ride the pension train?
Are there people who do that.. sure. Do most people? I highy doubt it.

Last edited by mikeym81; 06-03-2010 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Maybe you live near where I grew up. Sounds just like Sussex County to me! Most of my friends there are republicans who strongly supported Christie, but not anymore. Their taxes are going up to make up for the lack of state funding, well established schools are closing, bus routes are a mess and crossing guards have been eliminated creating a safety issue and a traffic nightmare. The notoriously stellar schools are the bread and butter of these small towns and property values are likely to fall if the reputation of the schools falter. It all sounded good while he was campaigning, but the results of his actions have created consequences that were not fully appreciated beforehand. I have a strong feeling that Christie may continue to be popular with republicans, but his support from Jersey republicans is going to wear off fast.

And it's not just teachers' benefits and pensions he's going after as I'm sure you're aware. It's police officers and firefighters too. Somehow, that 's basically being overlooked by those who have jumped on the anti-teacher bandwagon. I believe the Jersey police have filed suit against Christie.

It seems that not all that glitters is gold.
Im in Passiac county right on the border Sussex, so you understand

Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,345,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
You are right. Homeschooling is nothing like teaching in public school. Homeschoolers get to say, "No, do it again. We have plenty of time for you to make an A." Public school is just happy for a C and their tax dollars per student.

And any teacher that utilizes every resource available is a good teacher.
As a homeschooler, you dealt with one child per day. As a public school teacher, I dealt with 150+ per day. Over the course of 37 years, I successfully taught thousands of students - from basic skills to AP - and I did not need a manual to tell me how to do it.

Good for you that you successfully home schooled your child(ren). Just keep in mind that does not make you qualified and/or capable of teaching classrooms full of students, either public or private.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
The golden rule amongst the conservatives is that public employees MUST make less money and benefits than private employees for the same skill level.

This is generally true during the boom times but if the bust is big enough the previously underpaid are actually earning more then the private sector. This almost makes up for the previous discrepancy in compensation.

Too bad for the private sector. You took the higher pay in good times and now you suffer from the higher risk in hard times.

All Gov Christy has to do is place a 10% income tax surcharge on all incomes over 500k or so and the state deficit would end.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

All Gov Christy has to do is place a 10% income tax surcharge on all incomes over 500k or so and the state deficit would end.

See thats the thing, I was with this Christie, up until he wouldnt increase the tax on the wealthy. Chrisites been going around calling all these cuts a shared sacrifice but the wealthy dont have to help.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
The almost wealthy never share. They are afraid that sharing would prevent them from becoming really, really wealthy. Christe is one of the almost wealthy so he is giving himself a tax break.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,850,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
As a homeschooler, you dealt with one child per day. As a public school teacher, I dealt with 150+ per day. Over the course of 37 years, I successfully taught thousands of students - from basic skills to AP - and I did not need a manual to tell me how to do it.

Good for you that you successfully home schooled your child(ren). Just keep in mind that does not make you qualified and/or capable of teaching classrooms full of students, either public or private.
Well, I am glad that you were successful. When my child was in kindergarten they gave her a list of words to memorize. I asked them when they would get into phonics. The reply, "Oh, sometime next year."

To add insult to injury they taught her the "dot" counting method in math.

I had to unteach it and give her the rote method. Good Lord, tax dollars down the drain and wasted. No wonder Rudolf Flesch wrote, "Why Johnny Can't Read"!

If you have been a successful teacher, my hat is off to you. I just haven't met very many, even when I attended public school. I could name only - TWO - that gave a flip whether I was sincerely educated. Adding my daughter's experience, I don't have a very high regard for our government funded education system.

I remember reading a report by Xerox saying that the caliber of students graduating from college made them fearful of having anyone intelligent enough to take over the CEO positions in their company. That's pretty telling.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
...Besides which, it's much, much easier to blame teachers than the politicians who created the budgetary mess in the first place.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,850,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...Besides which, it's much, much easier to blame teachers than the politicians who created the budgetary mess in the first place.
I think all of them play a part - politicians, teachers, teacher's unions, and lazy parents who do not get involved. Christie is right to hit it where it needs to be hit - in the pocketbook. Have better results or we are saying you are wasting money.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post

Im in Passiac county right on the border Sussex, so you understand
Yes, I do mikeym. Proud to say I went through the Sparta school system, K-12. And, given the current state of those schools, I'm happy I'm not sending my daughter through them. What a shame. Some of the best schools in the country now in jeopardy. Where did people think the money was going to come from to compensate for the huge decrease in state funding? Right out of their own pockets, of course, in the form of property taxes.

I don't think the majority of Christie voters had any idea how Christie's cuts would affect their wallets, the quality of their schools and their property values/taxes so directly. They couldn't see past the whipped up resentment toward teachers that's in vogue right now and their desire to take on the teacher's union.

It's easy for those whose lives and homes aren't being affected to cheer lead for Christie. I'm not sure they'd be so gung-ho if they lived in North Jersey right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies