Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
 
Location: #
9,598 posts, read 16,627,098 times
Reputation: 6324

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why is it that liberalism is so entrenched in unionism and entitlement?
Why is it that when Democrats want a better life, conservatives call it "entitlement"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
78,860 posts, read 46,890,886 times
Reputation: 18523
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why is it that when Democrats want a better life, conservatives call it "entitlement"?



HELLO!
Because Robinhood was a thief!
What I worked hard for, is not yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM
 
4,814 posts, read 3,864,149 times
Reputation: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
HELLO!
Because Robinhood was a thief!
What I worked hard for, is not yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 AM
 
17,422 posts, read 12,057,913 times
Reputation: 16205
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why is it that when Democrats want a better life, conservatives call it "entitlement"?
Because Dems want that "better life" by taking someone else's hard earned money. THAT'S called entitlement.

A better way is self-sufficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 11:10 AM
 
6,993 posts, read 6,365,242 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Well, I am glad that you were successful. When my child was in kindergarten they gave her a list of words to memorize. I asked them when they would get into phonics. The reply, "Oh, sometime next year."

To add insult to injury they taught her the "dot" counting method in math.

I had to unteach it and give her the rote method. Good Lord, tax dollars down the drain and wasted. No wonder Rudolf Flesch wrote, "Why Johnny Can't Read"!

If you have been a successful teacher, my hat is off to you. I just haven't met very many, even when I attended public school. I could name only - TWO - that gave a flip whether I was sincerely educated. Adding my daughter's experience, I don't have a very high regard for our government funded education system.

I remember reading a report by Xerox saying that the caliber of students graduating from college made them fearful of having anyone intelligent enough to take over the CEO positions in their company. That's pretty telling.
Students who came to me prepared to learn, did. Students who came to me desirous of learning, in spite of poor preparation, did. I'd say that 75% of my students fell into those categories. It was my job to try to reach the remaining 25% and I did. I was not successful all of the time.

Contrary to your experience, I remember many good teachers from my public school days. As a matter of fact, I can name only one who I would label 'bad'.

Perhaps the teachers with whom you have interacted over the years reflected the attitude you presented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,325 posts, read 45,102,107 times
Reputation: 7118
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why is it that when Democrats want a better life, conservatives call it "entitlement"?
Because you want someone else to pay for your better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 PM
 
20,504 posts, read 12,465,863 times
Reputation: 10330
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why is it that when Democrats want a better life, conservatives call it "entitlement"?
because a liberals view of a "better life" is paid for by someone else's hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
 
20,504 posts, read 12,465,863 times
Reputation: 10330
I come from a family of educators. My grandfather was a teacher/principle and was president of the state teachers association and wrote the first standardized teachers pay law for his state.
He was one of 7 brothers and 6 were educators. 2 of his children were teachers (now retired). My father was one of those 2. At last count my Grandfather has 6 grand children and great grand children in the teaching profession.

I cant even count the College professors/Principles/Teachers etc. in the extended family from those 7 brothers.

Suffice it to say that I have had more than a few conversations with real live teachers about the state of education. You wont find me saying bad things about teachers but I can tell you from what the educators in my family have to say, Christy is right.

Fixing education really is pretty simple. Attach the per child tax dollars to the kid, then allow the parents to send their kid to the school of their choice. Then end tenure. You do those two things and you will go a very long way to fixing what is broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 PM
 
59,546 posts, read 27,783,160 times
Reputation: 14419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Students who came to me prepared to learn, did. Students who came to me desirous of learning, in spite of poor preparation, did. I'd say that 75% of my students fell into those categories. It was my job to try to reach the remaining 25% and I did. I was not successful all of the time.

Contrary to your experience, I remember many good teachers from my public school days. As a matter of fact, I can name only one who I would label 'bad'.

Perhaps the teachers with whom you have interacted over the years reflected the attitude you presented?
But, I thought they have a degree in teaching. And then they get a masters degree to train them better to be able to teach. some even get doctorates. And your going to tell us they can only reach 25% of the students. What are all those degrees good for than, if not to just demand more pay without improving the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 03:01 PM
 
6,993 posts, read 6,365,242 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
But, I thought they have a degree in teaching. And then they get a masters degree to train them better to be able to teach. some even get doctorates. And your going to tell us they can only reach 25% of the students. What are all those degrees good for than, if not to just demand more pay without improving the outcome.
Seems you have a reading comprehension problem.

Quote:
Students who came to me prepared to learn, did. Students who came to me desirous of learning, in spite of poor preparation, did. I'd say that 75% of my students fell into those categories. It was my job to try to reach the remaining 25% and I did. I was not successful all of the time.
Read it again, and this time concentrate really hard....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top