Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I come from a family of educators. My grandfather was a teacher/principle and was president of the state teachers association and wrote the first standardized teachers pay law for his state.
He was one of 7 brothers and 6 were educators. 2 of his children were teachers (now retired). My father was one of those 2. At last count my Grandfather has 6 grand children and great grand children in the teaching profession.

I cant even count the College professors/Principles/Teachers etc. in the extended family from those 7 brothers.

Suffice it to say that I have had more than a few conversations with real live teachers about the state of education. You wont find me saying bad things about teachers but I can tell you from what the educators in my family have to say, Christy is right.

Fixing education really is pretty simple. Attach the per child tax dollars to the kid, then allow the parents to send their kid to the school of their choice. Then end tenure. You do those two things and you will go a very long way to fixing what is broken.
Excellent post, Ferd!

Good, healthy competition never hurt a thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,211,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Across the country, this is true. This guy is really throwing down the gauntlet and speaking the TRUTH about public schools and the unions that ride roughshod over politicians, parents and students.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Christie: Students Trapped By "Selfish, Greedy" & "Disgraceful" Teacher Unions

In NJ $24,000/pupil?

Incredible.

That $24,000 is needed to pay for the lavish benefits, pensions and health care of the unions.

I love this guy and would vote for him today to be president
I know that is not the topic, but I said it anyway~~

Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,764,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So glad I no longer live in NJ.

So the union remains the scapegoat meanwhile an actual method of reducing costs is shelved. And why, because those highly-paid NJ campaign donors don't want their precious kids spending hours on school buses or sitting in classrooms of 50+ kids.

NorthJersey.com: The Christie administration is backing away from attempts to consolidate and regionalize many of the state’s small school districts and will instead encourage the schools to share more services.

And, while actual costs are high, they are not $24K per kid per year.

DOE Releases 2010 Comparative Spending Guide
I live in an Abbott school district and we do indeed spend $24k per pupil. And the schools are mediocre at best.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Ok...does Christie plan on teaching all of these kids himself?
The Teacher's Union isn't going anywhere and picking a fight you can't win is a poor political maneuver.

Wait until re-election and see how Christie either claims that he ha s"won" against the union...or doesn't even bring up this whole episode.

The teachers aren't going anywhere, the job market in NJ isn't so hot. Plus most of these folks could not get the same deal the have now. Decent pay, great benefits and summers off. All in all not a bad deal.

Not only can Christie win the fight, he is winning the fight. A huge number of municipalities voted down their school budgets.

NJ has an $11 billion deficit, we have to cut spending. If he can get through 4 years and not raise taxes and cap property tax increases at 2.5% he will be the most successful governor in the states recent history and be a shoe in for re-election. but I really believe he doesn't care if he is re-elected or not, He is interested in doing what is best for the state. In such a corrupt state this is refreshing.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
See, this is where I get confused. Christie made ALOT of cuts, not only to school aid for towns but other aid in different areas. I got the estimate for my property taxes yesterday in the mail for the third quarter, and its up by 12 percent, 1100 dollar increase for the year. I thought fiscal conservatives where all about lower taxes and less spending. All I see is my town closing 2 schools, closing parks and my taxes going up 1100 a year. My town is a die hard rebuplican town, it's been run by conservatives for the past 20 years, so its not like the dems ran it to the ground. So again why are my services decreasing and my taxes going up?

Many possibilities. It could be the county portion of your bill went up, the town has no control over that. It could be your town council raised taxes. Not all Republicans are conservitives. Vote out the bums who raised your taxes and vote in conservatives.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Again I'm confused. My property taxes go up, due to a cut in aid, and this tax increase is OK, and not Christie fault, but my local government because they are not "real" conservatives.

When Obama wants to increase taxes to get rid of the deficit, its his fault the deficit is high, and and the increase is a horrible idea.

Not trying to start a fight but Can someone please tell me the difference?

Increasing taxes decreases productivity, if you want to curtail an activity tax it.

With respect to NJ we have a net outflow of wealth, wealthy people are not moving into the state. NJ has the highest tax burden and is the most business unfriendly state in the country. NJ can't print money so we need to expand the tax base. The way to do that is to make it a more inviting place to live and do business. Increasing taxes does not do that.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
The cuts buy the state lead to the tax increase, and my tax rate is determined by my town.
But there is also a county portion of your tax bill.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Hmm...so these "non-union teachers" are going to move to the most expensive state to live in the country for less money than their predecessors and do a better job...why again?

Or the people who aren't now teaching are going to take the new lower-paying positions and this will have NO effect on an already struggling educational system?

OR finally: ALL the teachers nearing or at retirement age,all leave the system at the same time due to the anti-union BS Christie is starting thus making a transition to a non-union system even more difficult than it will be.

There are many more permutations that could occur from this situation.
Most them are probably bleaker than the above.

We have many private schools in NJ and their teachers are not unionized and they live here just fine.

Actually it will be the younger teachers leaving. Older teachers have seniority. not many older teachers will be able to leave and make $86k with great benies and summers off.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,971,624 times
Man, this guy is just awesome.

Dark horse 2012?

YouTube - Governor Christie: Not About Teachers

Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Man, this guy is just awesome.

Dark horse 2012?

YouTube - Governor Christie: Not About Teachers

If he'd go after the "fat" people vote, he'd have more votes than Obama going after the minorities. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies