Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times

Advertisements

Why is it that liberalism is so entrenched in unionism and entitlement?

President Tyler once said: "Go home and hammer out your own salvation."

To liberals, that means crying on the shoulder of the Union Boss. To the ambitious, it means pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get shiit done.

Capitulation of the Soul. It would embarrass every fiber of my being to be shackled to that mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,155,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Across the country, this is true. This guy is really throwing down the gauntlet and speaking the TRUTH about public schools and the unions that ride roughshod over politicians, parents and students.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Christie: Students Trapped By "Selfish, Greedy" & "Disgraceful" Teacher Unions

In NJ $24,000/pupil?

Incredible.

That $24,000 is needed to pay for the lavish benefits, pensions and health care of the unions.

He's right to a degree. A lot of the teachers and their Unions are a huge part of the problem.

Certainly not the sole problem. But a significant part of the problem.

I know several NJ teachers and one of used to work part time for us. And he's a major jack-off. I've never seen such a selfish, self-absorbed, singularly self-interested, juvenile, arrogant, narcissistic bag of wind....in my life.

We had to fire his ass because he did almost nothing. And when he did do any work, he obnoxiously demanded that he would only do what he wanted to do. Not what the job detailed and required him to do. It was ridiculous. A 50 year old man behaving like an obnoxious, bratty 11 year old.

Every other teacher I know has a very similar attitude, but they're no where near as extreme as that guy. but it is that same entitlement complex.

I know teachers are very important and should be paid a good salary and half good benefits. I know there are many other contributing factors.

I know many parents in this country are irresponsble, lazy, inaccountable fools who don't do anything to help and progress their children's education.

They expect teachers to accomplish it all during school time. Shame on them!

But these teachers and their Unions: their entitlement complexes and their hollier than thou (I can't be touched) attitudes; they're not helping the situation. they're making it worse.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
He's right to a degree. A lot of the teachers and their Unions are a huge part of the problem.

Certainly not the sole problem. But a significant part of the problem.

I know several NJ teachers and one of used to work part time for us. And he's a major jack-off. I've never seen such a selfish, self-absorbed, singularly self-interested, juvenile, arrogant, narcissistic bag of wind....in my life.

We had to fire his ass because he did almost nothing. And when he did do any work, he obnoxiously demanded that he would only do what he wanted to do. Not what the job detailed and required him to do. It was ridiculous. A 50 year old man behaving like an obnoxious, bratty 11 year old.

Every other teacher I know has a very similar attitude, but they're no where near as extreme as that guy. but it is that same entitlement complex.

I know teachers are very important and should be paid a good salary and half good benefits. I know there are many other contributing factors.

I know many parents in this country are irresponsble, lazy, inaccountable fools who don't do anything to help and progress their children's education.

They expect teachers to accomplish it all during school time. Shame on them!

But these teachers and their Unions: their entitlement complexes and their hollier than thou (I can't be touched) attitudes; they're not helping the situation. they're making it worse.
To make matter's worse, politicians perpetuate the "holier than thou" attitudes every time they hold up "police, firefighters, and teachers" as political capital. It creates the sense of entitlement everytime they parade these people out for campaign/personal/political purposes.

Almost nothing nauseates me more than the ragtag theme of "But what about the police, firefighters, and teachers!?" Gag-O-Matic. Barf-O-Rama.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 AM

1,089 posts, read 656,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Across the country, this is true. This guy is really throwing down the gauntlet and speaking the TRUTH about public schools and the unions that ride roughshod over politicians, parents and students.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Christie: Students Trapped By "Selfish, Greedy" & "Disgraceful" Teacher Unions

In NJ $24,000/pupil?

Incredible.

That $24,000 is needed to pay for the lavish benefits, pensions and health care of the unions.
How about proof of these assurtions you make? If the $24K figure is true, how much of it goes for teacher salary and benefits?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM

631 posts, read 720,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The teachers are not the problem. You would know that, if you had been taught reading comprehension, from an educated teacher, instead of a union hack that doesn't care.
"We do it for the kids" Yet we are going to scream when they want to cut my $83,000 + full benefits as a teacher just doing it for the kids, to meet a budget shortfall.

Cry me a river.

Just like he said, "You don't have to do it"

The problem is Teacher UNIONS, not the majority of teachers.
The system is corrupt, with our unionized education status.

This is incorrect. Average techer salary in NJ is 56,000 - 63,000. Pretty low considering they get thier masters degree as well as other certs.

The techers really screwed up not taking the pay freeze this year. But NJ's problems are hardly thier fault. Christie is just using them as a scapegoat.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,807 times
Quote:
The nation has gone way off track.

This guy knows what to do to get us back on track.
Reduce the size of the governments annual budget, and deficit spending, you will see a booming economy.
Please, do NOT think that NJ teacher pay/benefits are the norm for the rest of the US.

I am a retired FL teacher and I can assure you that I do not have the cushy benefits that NJ teachers enjoy. My pension was less than 50% of my avg high 5 salary - which was less than 50K. I pay for my own health/dental/life/etc. insurance. No teacher in FL - or in many other states - can even dream of a $90K/yr salary.

I have family members who are NJ teachers. Their salaries and retirement benefits leave me in awe.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
This is incorrect. Average techer salary in NJ is 56,000 - 63,000. Pretty low considering they get thier masters degree as well as other certs.

The techers really screwed up not taking the pay freeze this year. But NJ's problems are hardly thier fault. Christie is just using them as a scapegoat.
Two family members, working in different townships, make $90K+/year. One (42 yrs experience) has a Masters, one (35 yrs) does not.

In contrast, a teacher with 42 yrs experience and a Masters earns approx. $67K in S. FL school districts, which are among the highest paying in FL.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,690,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post

Obviously you have not seen the actual argument.

She said and I quote, "I get $83,000 today"

Last edited by BentBow; 06-02-2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM

1,089 posts, read 656,166 times
Quote:
Obviously you have not seen the actual argument.

She said and I quote, "I get $83,000 today"
She said "I'm begging you to pay me $83,000."

Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
So glad I no longer live in NJ.

So the union remains the scapegoat meanwhile an actual method of reducing costs is shelved. And why, because those highly-paid NJ campaign donors don't want their precious kids spending hours on school buses or sitting in classrooms of 50+ kids.

NorthJersey.com: The Christie administration is backing away from attempts to consolidate and regionalize many of the state’s small school districts and will instead encourage the schools to share more services.

And, while actual costs are high, they are not $24K per kid per year.

DOE Releases 2010 Comparative Spending Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies