Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,588,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The point is, we are discussing NJ teachers UNIONS and the Governor of NJ.
Keep on topic and not so scatterbrained.
And you're not from NJ.

OK, please expand on why the NJ teacher union frightens and enrages you so thoroughly.

Quote:
Does NJ use Texas textbooks?
I'd wager that NJ purchases their own textbooks. Does Texas buy books for some states other than NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,854,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
I live in New Jersey, It's been all over the local news. I've obviously seen it more then you, since I know she said "Im begging you to pay me 83,000." Infact I'm gonna try to lookup her salary now.

NorthJersey.com: Christie defends cutbacks

Regardless, you cant use one teacher as fact. Here's a few links that show the average salary for a NJ teacher. If you use google, you'll find the same info.

Teacher Salaries by State | Employment Spot

Teacher Salaries by State, New Jersey Teacher Salaries - PayScale (http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=High_School_Teacher/Salary/by_State - broken link)
Well, based on this PDF from the Rutherford, New Jersey Board of Education — it looks like Ms. Wilson makes a salary of $86,389.[LEFT]
Read more at the Washington Examiner: NJ Teacher who complained to Gov. Chris Christie she deserved $83k actually makes $86k | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/nj-teacher-who-complained-to-gov-chris-christie-that-she-wasnt-paid-83k-she-deserved-actually-makes-86k-94951164.html#ixzz0piPx7mO4 - broken link)
[/LEFT]

Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 AM

206 posts, read 194,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Just to set my position upfront: (1) I am a Democrat; (2) I was clothed, fed and educated by the Union (parents were 2 union workers).

In saying that, I am 100% in agreement with Gov. Christie on this issue. The unions are killing themselves with unreasonable demands for increases while the rest of us in the country are being forced to cut-back. In my opinion, if the unions truly cared about their workers, they would cut a good percentage of the cushy office/administrative staff and ensure that the benefits went to the actual workers rather than the people running the unions. If not to the general public, then to their own members, they should give a COMPLETE break-down of all employees in the union, complete with salary, benefits and what their role really is.
Great post!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:58 AM

470 posts, read 1,156,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Across the country, this is true. This guy is really throwing down the gauntlet and speaking the TRUTH about public schools and the unions that ride roughshod over politicians, parents and students.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Christie: Students Trapped By "Selfish, Greedy" & "Disgraceful" Teacher Unions

In NJ $24,000/pupil?

Incredible.

That $24,000 is needed to pay for the lavish benefits, pensions and health care of the unions.
Ok...does Christie plan on teaching all of these kids himself?
The Teacher's Union isn't going anywhere and picking a fight you can't win is a poor political maneuver.

Wait until re-election and see how Christie either claims that he ha s"won" against the union...or doesn't even bring up this whole episode.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM

631 posts, read 720,514 times
Quote:
I live in New Jersey, It's been all over the local news. I've obviously seen it more then you, since I know she said "Im begging you to pay me 83,000." Infact I'm gonna try to lookup her salary now.

NorthJersey.com: Christie defends cutbacks

I'll go back on my own words. She makes 84,000 a year, has 17 years experience, masters degree and is a special ed teacher. Do I find this overpaid to teach kids with learning disablities? Nope. Is the average salary still around 55,000 yes.

NJ Teacher Details

Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Well, based on this PDF from the Rutherford, New Jersey Board of Education — it looks like Ms. Wilson makes a salary of $86,389.[LEFT]
Read more at the Washington Examiner: NJ Teacher who complained to Gov. Chris Christie she deserved $83k actually makes $86k | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/nj-teacher-who-complained-to-gov-chris-christie-that-she-wasnt-paid-83k-she-deserved-actually-makes-86k-94951164.html#ixzz0piPx7mO4 - broken link)
[/LEFT]

You beat my too it, and Frankly I have no problem paying people that amount to teach kids since 86k in NJ doesn't go very far.

As I said in earlier posts, the teachers unions screwed them with not taking the pay freeze. They turned into a scapegoat for all of NJs problems.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM

206 posts, read 194,134 times
Quote:
You beat my too it, and Frankly I have no problem paying people that amount to teach kids.
overpaid for 8 months work.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfles View Post
overpaid for 8 months work.

Do you live in NJ? I bet not.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:11 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,854,200 times
Quote:
You beat my too it, and Frankly I have no problem paying people that amount to teach kids since 86k in NJ doesn't go very far.

As I said in earlier posts, the teachers unions screwed them with not taking the pay freeze. They turned into a scapegoat for all of NJs problems.
If taxes werent so high in that state their pay would go a lot further.

I think they make more then a fair wage for getting so many mths off a year

Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,155,264 times
I know NJ is an expensive state to live in. Lived there for most of my life.

I know it only has gotten worse since I left.

But not for nothing......If you can't live quite comfortably on $86,000.00 a year, then, you're a blithering idiot who's foolishly living above your own means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies