Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,853,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Are you sure? What is your definition of living comfortably? My definition is debt free which I Am NOT. I make much more than the $86K, have two in college and I can tell you, its NOT easy. There's no such thing as living comfortably, only responsibly unless you have no debts, no dependents and no responsibility.
I would say if you are able to pay your bills and have some left over you are living comfortable.

the size of your debt is up to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM

17,404 posts, read 11,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Ok...does Christie plan on teaching all of these kids himself?
The Teacher's Union isn't going anywhere and picking a fight you can't win is a poor political maneuver.

Wait until re-election and see how Christie either claims that he ha s"won" against the union...or doesn't even bring up this whole episode.
Once they break the unions, non-unions teachers can step in and teach the kids.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:10 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,542,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I would say if you are able to pay your bills and have some left over you are living comfortable.

the size of your debt is up to you

And I say, I do not agree. So I guess we can agree to disagree about the amount it takes to live comfortably in NJ.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,343,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I homeschooled for 15 years, so I know that it can be done.

The purpose of the Teacher's Manuel is to keep the course on schedule, gives teaching tips, answers, and other additional information. At the end of my daughter's 7th grade year she took the Stanford Achievement Test and scored in the 11th grade percentile. It can be done.
Homeschooling is NOTHING like teaching in a public school.

A good teacher does not need a Teachers ManuAl...

Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 PM

470 posts, read 1,156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Once they break the unions, non-unions teachers can step in and teach the kids.
Hmm...so these "non-union teachers" are going to move to the most expensive state to live in the country for less money than their predecessors and do a better job...why again?

Or the people who aren't now teaching are going to take the new lower-paying positions and this will have NO effect on an already struggling educational system?

OR finally: ALL the teachers nearing or at retirement age,all leave the system at the same time due to the anti-union BS Christie is starting thus making a transition to a non-union system even more difficult than it will be.

There are many more permutations that could occur from this situation.
Most them are probably bleaker than the above.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Homeschooling is NOTHING like teaching in a public school.

A good teacher does not need a Teachers ManuAl...
You are right. Homeschooling is nothing like teaching in public school. Homeschoolers get to say, "No, do it again. We have plenty of time for you to make an A." Public school is just happy for a C and their tax dollars per student.

And any teacher that utilizes every resource available is a good teacher.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,488,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldTheBeans View Post
The more I hear Christie talk the more sense he makes. I just hope he has the mettle to stand up to the lefties when they come at him on all fronts which they will. Clinton may even get one of his hit men back in bidness.

I can't believe NJ pays 24K per student. That's insane. My state it's around 12K per and private school around 9K per. Crazy. No wonder folks are running out of NJ. Maybe Christie will too and head to DC.
It's close:

Quote:
The highest per student spending in the two counties -- South Hunterdon Regional High School, at $21,789 per student -- was also the highest in the state in its category covering 47 districts that offer either grades 7 to 12 or grades 9 to 12.
Keeping in mind the "in its category" statement.

Spending per student on rise in Warren, Hunterdon high schools, N.J. Department of Education says - lehighvalleylive.com

Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Of course!

The problem with schools is teachers!

It's all so easy to see!
Actually it's the Teachers Union!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,488,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
I'll go back on my own words. She makes 84,000 a year, has 17 years experience, masters degree and is a special ed teacher. Do I find this overpaid to teach kids with learning disablities? Nope. Is the average salary still around 55,000 yes.

NJ Teacher Details
That link came up for a school nurse?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,760 times
In my NJ county, a grammar school teacher with 20 years and masters makes $110k and has great benefits for life. Also, there are many, many, many teachers that have political favor jobs. They're administrators doing clerical work because they campaigne for their local machine. Work that should be done by non-union workers for 30k. For this, our taxes are sky high and seniors are losing their homes.

I heard some crazy stats the other day. The average NJ teacher retires at age 49, goes on to receive $3M in pensions and half a million in health benefits.

Last edited by amcjap; 06-02-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies